It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE Insect found in Iraqi Desert.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
This has been up several times.. Wish people would do a search..

Everyday I see threads where people are complaining of prior discussions on subjects and suggesting we do searches.

I would never log onto ATS some day and just randomly do a search on camel spiders. Some times new fresh info and pics are useful.

True that,

Repeating of information is not a bad thing.

If we were to search for a subject every time we would post then the thread counts in one week would be 0 because if you take the time you would notice that every subject are just repeating them selves through different perspectives.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As mentioned before, it's a camel spider which is actually a scorpion. Weird why they would call it a spider.

But yeah, never seen one in real life. And I just hate bugs. ick.

I could imagine them being bad at fighting scorpions too, lacking a tail and pincers; gotta be hard for the little buggers.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
it's a camel spider which is actually a scorpion.

No it isnt.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

Originally posted by whargoul

As I clicked on the link all I could think was "I hope this is new, and not camel spiders..."

Funny, I was thinking the EXACT same thing..

Yeah, me too. I thought "no way it could be a camel spider, cause anyone who hasn’t seen one yet must have just discovered the internet."

Same here. It was one of those times when the picture he posted came directly to mind, without any other prompting. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The internet can be a very useful tool.

Camel Spider Info

[edit on 6-4-2007 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
that thing is still fudging huge! I would have to shoot it. Would scare the pants off of me.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This has already been proven to be a fake. I forget where I saw this. It was in an email. It mentioned a web site which tested things and found out whether they were true or false.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
before i read the replies t this thread i would just like to say.. it is impossible to search for something if you dont know what it is. How could i search for camel spiders if i didnt know what it was? I just came across it on the net and thought i would post it on here. Sorry if i upset anyone. Stilll... its a big spider!

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I lived in Walker Lake Nevada while working at the Army Depot . They Had those there as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfless

That's sick.

I would like to see that happen to you see if it would put a little empathy in your mind.

Um no. I spare no empathy for large ugly pseudo-bugs who climb into my sleeping bag at night or bite me when i am reaching for something in my toolbox.

Besides, my pet scorpions needed to eat too. Wheres your empathy for them?

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
before i read the replies t this thread i would just like to say.. it is impossible to search for something if you dont know what it is. How could i search for camel spiders if i didnt know what it was? I just came across it on the net and thought i would post it on here. Sorry if i upset anyone. Stilll... its a big spider!

hey, don't back down, man! like you say. how are you supposed to know every single thing that has been posted here before?

that's a ridiculous assertion put forth at this site often.

"do a search"

first of all, the search engine here is a bit notorious for being 'unfriendly'(aka USELESS!). i gave up on it long time ago.
second of all, like you say, how are you supposed to search for something you've never heard of?

TAKE BACK THAT APOLOGY, RIGHT NOW!!! don't make me come down there.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
As mentioned before, it's a camel spider which is actually a scorpion. Weird why they would call it a spider.

But yeah, never seen one in real life. And I just hate bugs. ick.

I could imagine them being bad at fighting scorpions too, lacking a tail and pincers; gotta be hard for the little buggers.

Shattered OUT...

Its not a spider or a scorpion. Its a Solifugid, an arachnid. If they actually bit the scorpion they would tear it apart. They have the most powerful jaws of any arthropod, enough to bite a Skittle clean into with one snap.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the support billybob, apology reclaimed! Infact since the toolbar changed i dont know how to do a search...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the support billybob, apology reclaimed! Infact since the toolbar changed i dont know how to do a search...

The Google search bar is right under the ATS Chat and Submit News buttons. The link to the Boolean search is right to the left of it.

That picture is creepy, even if it's fake.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

The Google search bar is right under the ATS Chat and Submit News buttons. The link to the Boolean search is right to the left of it.

That picture is creepy, even if it's fake.

I take it the boolean search searches within ATS?

I know now that searching Camel spider comes up with that photo all over the place but like i said.. i didnt know it was a camel spider before. Its a freaky looking thing but Ive got respect for all creatures and would not lay the smash down on it! It makes me so mad when people kill spiders with shoes or sticks.. if you try to get it to climb onto your hand its clear that they are more scared of you than you are of them, they pretend to be dead!

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I agree fifty, just because something looks ugly or scary doesn't mean it's OK to torture it.
It it was a cute puppy or kitten would you torture it too?
Maybe, maybe not, but people should think this:
If I was a spider or camel spider or anything else, would I like my legs ripped off? Or tortured in whatever way? If you answer no, you've just discovered a thing called empathy.

It's been said that those who are cruel to animals are quite likely to be cruel to people as well.
So; knock it off! (no, not the legs)

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

. i didnt know it was a camel spider before. Its a freaky looking thing but Ive got respect for all creatures and would not lay the smash down on it!

hoo hoo!

i think you should read these stories about these NASTY creatures. i'm pretty live and let live, but apparently,these things make war hardened warriors scream like little girls.

the stories from the troops

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
[edit on 6-4-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

. i didnt know it was a camel spider before. Its a freaky looking thing but Ive got respect for all creatures and would not lay the smash down on it!

hoo hoo!

i think you should read these stories about these NASTY creatures. i'm pretty live and let live, but apparently,these things make war hardened warriors scream like little girls.

the stories from the troops

They may be nasty.. infact they are notoriously aggressive (yeh i did a little research lol) but it doesnt mean they don't deserve to live.. we dont naturally live in the desert.. they do, so really we are in their territory. They may bite but so do dogs but we dont rip there legs off and feed them to scorpions or eat them like french fries! (although that would be a delicassy in some parts of the world) bleugh...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Did a project on scorpions back in the 8th grade. The Camel Spider (also known as Wind Scorpion) was listed as in the same family of arachnids as scorpions. Little did I know at the time (because it was an extremely simplistic children's fact book) that it was actually part of the Solifugae order of arachnid which just like the scorpion is in it's own class of insect classified separate of spiders.

Damn those simple fact books. *shakes fist* It's easy to make a mistake like that when there is no specification of anything.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join