It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATHEISM: The Stupidest Religion of All

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperspace

Originally posted by THENEO
Well I don't mean to offend anyone here but I have two more observations to state:

one, nobody knows enough to know whether there is a god or not IMHO.

two, god may be something but not what we think it is or have been led to believe.

and I can't resist this too,

would not something that is sufficiently higher than us be like a god to us? It could be and yet it would not be the universe itself.

Neo, you�re the only one that seems to have a brain that works...if only in this thread.

What!?!? You agree with NEO even though he says that you can not know if there is/isn't a "God", yet you seem to be certain that there is. Make up your mind and quit flip flopping.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
95% of the atheists are probably not affiliated with any organization regarding their beliefs....

and your point is...

well my point is sir...that athiesm is far..far from organized..just because thier is a small group with a web site does not make it a ORGANIZED RELIGION

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
Slow down. Lets start using an organization for an example here. Lets use:

The Athiest Alliance Web Center
... the only democratic national atheist organization in the United States ...

You call it a religion, when it is actually an organization seen on the internet as an online resource for other athiests that share the organization's ideas and motivation.

I never called the Atheist Alliance anything but an "organization".

McGotti said, "atheism isn�t organized as far as i know."

So I showed him otherwise.

You also said

What religion (including atheism) doesn�t have many trains (or �sects�) of beliefs, MrRadical?

So I responded. Stay on one track. You call athiests, people who believe in Godlessness, a religion(which currently makes no sense), and in addition say that an athiest organization is not a religion, but wait.. plain athiesm is a religion? How is that so?

I just stated the fact that I never called the Atheist Alliance anything but an "organization".

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
atheism gives me headaches and nausea.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   

well my point is sir...that athiesm is far..far from organized..just because thier is a small group with a web site does not make it a ORGANIZED RELIGION

If a Baptist doesn�t go to church, is he/she still not a Baptist (religious person)? MY point is that even if 95% of atheists don't go to or belong to an organization they are still a religion.

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by Hyperspace]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
i guess we are just not seeing the term "atheism" the same...i see it as a blanket term that defines anyone who does not believe in "god"..now you seem to feel that "atheism" is a group of people organized together and share thier beliefs with one another and have some kind of central control..that is what i have grab from this disscusion..please..correct me if im wrong on your view of atheism

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   

i guess we are just not seeing the term "atheism" the same...i see it as a blanket term that defines anyone who does not believe in "god"..now you seem to feel that "atheism" is a group of people organized together and share thier beliefs with one another and have some kind of central control..that is what i have grab from this disscusion..please..correct me if im wrong on your view of atheism

Atheism is the faith that God is not real. It is an organized religion in its infancy.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
people with religions..i see them as sharing a greater idea with each other..i see most atheists as individuals because they have disregarded any word from other people and made up their own mind..not converted to atheism by higher up "atheist officals"[i dont believe such a thing exists] that..as you have stated..are only converting people becuase of some conspiracy about mind control or money ect...

see i dont think any atheists hardly even talk about their beliefs with most people becuase alot of people do not like it when you are not a religious person...so i guess we just do not agree on who and what a atheist is..and what they stand for

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by McGotti]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Atheism is the faith that God is not real. It is an organized religion in its infancy.

hyperspace..to make things a little clearer for me..how exactly would you discribe your religious beliefs??

me..im not sure about anything involving greater beings..i see no proof so i dont affiliate with any groups..but i see the world and space ect with amazement..so i am open to the idea 100%..i believe the buddhist have got it about right as one can get..

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by McGotti]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

You won't see them doing those free car washes in hopes of converting people, either. Nor will they be taking collections from anyone. I used to be an atheist, until I put alot more thought into it and decided that no one can know for sure. I didn't have any leaders then, and I don't now. It's definitely not a religion, IMO. It has none of the characteristics of religion. I suppose you think most science is a religion too?

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Religion is a means of understanding our existence

Hyper, Good job hyper.

Thanks, only If I knew that God created the Earth in 7 days.

Great, time to throw away all those illconcieved text books, burn those biology notes that suggested that Virgin Birth was impossible, man what eeediots, Crumple up and eat that paper that suggest that the earth was not flat.

Please, Iv always beleived, then start believing, now I dont believe at all.

The only religion I see with a problem is quite evident.

I dont care for others.

Deep

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Of course we have killed in the name of Atheism,

Have you not read our Holy Scripture?

The 9th grade science book.

Written some 2000 years ago, It was a dark time, Full of biology and chemistry.........Come one people.

Hyper, your very notion that Athiesm is an organised "religion" in its infancy is obsolete, if not stupid.

Deep

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Oddly enough, I don't think you'll see people killing in the name of Atheism, nor going door to door to try and convert others....

Atheism is the ony religion that tries to convert you by calling you stupid.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Religion is a means of understanding our existence

Hyper, Good job hyper.

Thanks, only If I knew that God created the Earth in 7 days.

Let me say just a few things about it here.

Why can't this be a fishbowl? It only takes me about 2 hrs to clean that out. Thats right, God is the caretaker and we, well, we're just stupid fish who don't know any better.

Great, time to throw away all those illconcieved text books, burn those biology notes that suggested that Virgin Birth was impossible, man what eeediots, Crumple up and eat that paper that suggest that the earth was not flat.

True, the earth isn't flat, but what do you expect from a fish? heh, anyways, the Virgin Birth could very well have occured. Ancient Egyptians were much more sophisticated "I believe" than we realise due to the fact that the Library of Alexandria was destroyed by an army of dense thugs with no comphrehensive idea about what the hell they were doing. It would be called 'genetic engineering'. Yes i'm damn sure it happened. Like the Amber colored glass found in the Syrian desert as well as other parts of the world, they say this glass could only have happened due to a world wide Nuclear Event, not an asteroid. Big fishtank we occupy eh?

Please, Iv always beleived, then start believing, now I dont believe at all.

I've believed it all too. Now i believe there is a bit of Truth to all things. To throw it all out is stupidity, to analyze it and consider all points is to bring Balance to the ideas and evidence we see in our world."

The only religion I see with a problem is quite evident.

I dont care for others.

Deep

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft

GAZROK! Where the heck have you been?

1. O'Hare??? - I wish she HAD BEEN just knocking on doors trying to convert people to Atheism! Can we say militant?

2. ATS??? - It stands as a written record that when people of varying beliefs/nonbeliefs come together, it looks as though the nonbelievers will be the ones that ACTIVELY try to destroy others belief systems. There's been MONTHS I have had to stay away from the Religious thread because of the inundation of angry and purposeful threads aimed at ridiculing or trying to destroy religious doctrine.

3. Big deal - so somebody might knock on your door. Tell them to bug off if you're set on not believing.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   

It does not require faith to not believe in something of which there is no tangible evidence... faith is, by definition, belief in something that you don't know exists. Atheists would therefore show an absence of faith. Without faith, you don't have religion.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hyperspace i agree with 100%.
I've always believed that. Everyone has a way of life, way of life is a relgion.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Originally posted by Satyr

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You won't see them doing those free car washes in hopes of converting people, either. Nor will they be taking collections from anyone. I used to be an atheist, until I put alot more thought into it and decided that no one can know for sure. I didn't have any leaders then, and I don't now. It's definitely not a religion, IMO. It has none of the characteristics of religion. I suppose you think most science is a religion too?

I sense some conflict here- Satyr. From reading this post, and comparing it to the one in which you replied to my recent topic on Floridas' Faith based prison, and I quote you again- this is in response to my question regarding convicts rights over our childrens in school-

Posted by Satyr- Floridas' Faith Based Prison

"This is where we differ the most. You think that a repression of religion is the cause of every existing problem today. I think that living in your fantasy religion word is anti-productive, and anti-progressive. Prayer doesn't solve anything, action and understanding does. Prayer only boosts morale in those who want to believe. I can't say this enough times; religion is not morality. If anything, it's hypocrisy. The problems you face today are considerably less than those that existed when religious organizations ruled. That was a horrible time, and will always be remembered as some of the most brutal, inhumane times of all history. It's very easy for me to argue the exact opposite...that the decline of religious activity is the reason people aren't brutally tortured or stoned to death as often now."

I do realize that you did not directly say that you are a believer in God, but I feel something here, and I wanted to pass this on to you and all the others-

You will never be sorry -
for thinking before acting,
for hearing before judging,
for forgiving your enemies,
for being candid and frank,
for helping a fallen brother,
for being honest in business,
for thinking before speaking,
for praying and seeking God,
for standing by your principles,
for stopping your ears to gossip,
for bridling a slanderous tounge,
for trying to harbor good thoughts,
for sympathising with the afflicted,
for being courteous and kind to all.
- Anonomous

Why believe in atheism? What benefits are there to believing in atheism ?
Look ya'll, I am not some Bible toting religous zealot, and I am not into organised religon. I have gone to church- but it's been a while.
Yes, there are bad and corrupt religous leaders. But, we are human, and there will always be some who preach whatever it is (atheism being one) and religon being another ( yeah, it's big money).
But, I try to live by the above mentioned paragraph
and for me- I'll take Heaven any day over Hell-
What is the benefit to being an atheist? That is what you should ask yourself....
Atheism is not a religon, I agree. Who benefits from disbelief in God? Only one, and I will not even post the name-
If there wasn't truth to God's existense, and his fallen angel, the stories and bibles and preachings would not be where they are today. There are many secrets- and this is the reason why we are all here reading this thread. For without secrets, all the stories would not be told and retold again and again, generation after generation, age after age.
If there wasn't truth- many of you would not be wondering and seeking the reality of God's existence.
Miracles happen every day- look at yourself- for you are a miracle.
Yes, we live in a cruel world- but we made it that way. We have free will, to believe or not- todays current situations are created by us- and the disbelief of many.
Take a set of scales and imagine evil on one side, and good on the other. It all depends on which side you rest upon- and the scale will surely take you in that direction you rested on-
You do not have to go to church , to believe in God. You do not have to become involved in organised religon to secure your entry through the pearly gates-
Just belief and a little prayer does me good- and you can look at my words and laugh at me, I don't care-
For I am- A Believer in God.

Another fact I wish to disclose- this observation came from the tounge of a real sick man, as we were driving down I-10 in Mississippi. I found it very intriguing-
You know (my name), I want you to see this- and I asked "what?" And he replied...if you look deep into every object we see- there is a cross in it! And as I thought of his words, I began to see- for there is a cross- in every thing you look at! Call me crazy , I don't care- if you look at whatever it is- the cross is there.
Peace to all- and may God bless everyone-especially all the atheists. For they are lacking- and their beliefs will try, but never be- religous doctrine.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hyperspace

I just want to say that I think you're really off-the-track, that you're making no sense what so ever, that making this thread was LAME (don't tell me you wanted to encourage intelligent discussion on the subject with a title like this) and you posted in the wrong forum, but I think you did on purpose, just to gahter points you points whore.

You're lame.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was not aware that atheism was a religion, but then again I consider Buddhism a philosophy and not a religion as other people seem to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join