It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is WiFi RFID chip-reading possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Is WiFi RFID chip-reading possible?

I've been reading up on RFID technology and its's slow creep into becoming embedded into consumer items.
From the basis of RFIDs being a passive radio-transmitter chip, and the rapid growth of domestic Wi-Fi internet technology, I have started to wonder if wireless modems could potentially be used to interrogate and eavesdrop on any embedded RFID chips that come within range?

Example: I have one of the new e-Passports that contains an RFID chip sitting in my filing cabinet in my home office, and on the other side of the same room is my desk, PC, and cable modem connected to a household wireless hub so the others in the house can share the same connection.

Is there any real danger that the chip containing my personal data could be 'pinged' and my information collected without my knowledge???

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
No, because the "e-passport", like any complex RFID device, is driven by an "h-field" interrogator.

This requires a reactive magnetic field, like the sort produced by the interrogator device, and only works in the near field.

Wi-fi uses radio, which involves propagating waves. Radio type RFID is called "e-field" technology (somewhat sloppily but it's tradition). However, that requires the ability to receive back-scatter modulation which your Wi-Fi can't do either.

So, in short, Wi-Fi boxes can't send to nor receive from any type of RFID, but most especially not the sort used in e-passports.

new topics

join