It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Facts forum board??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I understand that the main goal of ATS is to deny ignorance and the only way to do that is to make people understand what is happening around them and teach them.

That is why we have forum boards to post threads, but in a thread of 4 or 5 pages only couple of posts contain pure facts, undisputable facts, all the others are mostly opinions and mainly junk. It is really irritating when you try to learn something and some idiot comes and posts what not.

Why not have a new forum board where we can come and learn rather than argue and fight? It can work like a moderator can post a topic for example "Speed of Light" and those who know about it can post and make the others who don't know about the topic understand what that is.

This way those who know can teach others (therefore learn more) and who don't know can learn more too. If people are interested and want to talk about it a thread can be started in the other boards and we can voice our opinions. And this board can be a preparation board for other boards. By that I mean that members can get a clear understanding about it and post related material or their opinions in the other boards.

So what do you think moderators?

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nice theory, but who gets to decide what is fact and what is not?

The point of some of these posts/threads/forums is to put forth the information and let the people decide what is the truth.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
Nice theory, but who gets to decide what is fact and what is not?
The point of some of these posts/threads/forums is to put forth the information and let the people decide what is the truth.

Let's forget theories, I was thinking about science and stuff that doesn't have conspiracies, not JFK assassinations or Moon Landing, but any form of science.

I am sure there are many people like me in ATS who want to learn about science and not just old conspiracies.

This can be place where you just put facts and let people talk, argue and fight in other boards.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Why not have a new forum board where we can come and learn rather than argue and fight?

You are farmiliar with the human race...right! With all due respect to all, the human ego can be a very horrid thing. It causes us to think that we are bigger then we are and that our perception, is in fact, reality. We are all guilty of this from time to time, but some let their egos feed off their flesh.

I have been on several forums and everytime the topic comes up about any individual claiming that their way is the only valid way, the air turns to chaos. Religion especially as we all want to feel like the 'special' chosen ones.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that idea. However, a mod would have to stop eating, sleeping and going to the bathroom to monitor and, in a sense, censor such a thread to the point of risking his/her perception of right/wrong (true/false) information from seeping into the thread.

We are after all talking about aliens and the like here and without a dead body or craft, non of us can truely back up what we may believe with facts.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
That is why we have a Research Forum. Where a group of people interested in the same thing put their heads together.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
There is always that elusive www.abovetopsecret.com... as well.

Simon did a really nice job putting all of that together and it seems to be forgotten since the msg. board took off.
I must have spent about two weeks just going through all of that before I even read the forums. It's worth a look.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Good points surfup, and Fry and Nyeff are right, thats what those forums are for.

There is a noise to information ratio in forums and one of the most arduous mod jobs is trying to keep the noise down. Hence we banned "me too" posts. The unfortunate thing is that people are raised with the expectation that their "opinions" are fact and are equal to people who actually do understand the topic. So when you try and cull out the opinions you upset people.

Also who is really skilled enough to say on a topic, say the speed of light, that this is fact, and that is opinion? Even the scientists can be wrong, trying to weed out the two can cause errors and upset posters.

The only real way to learn is to read them all and try to put a coherent package together. The worst thing we could to would be to silence someone with real information that might be unpopular, or unknown.

Also find people who's views you trust, like Seekerof and Bryd, and rank their opinions as higher than some of the more "off the top of the head" posters.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yes but understanding is not facts is it?

Again what are facts btw?

See I think facts are snippets of info most commonly agreed to as explaining something.

But there are some problems here,

who controls the information....?

is the information complete...?

is the info understood...?

is the info relevant...?

and of course the biggie!

what if my biased facts are not the same as your biased facts?

the only one that can see all below him is he who sits above all and controls all. That is a fact.

facts and proof and rational arguments matter but do not fall into the trap of the masonic scientific method designed to keep mankind ignorant and confused.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Let's forget theories, I was thinking about science and stuff that doesn't have conspiracies, not JFK assassinations or Moon Landing, but any form of science.

Science doesn't have conspiracies? Anyone remember fusion in a bottle? Just because some scientist says he made some breakthrough doesn't mean it's true.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sometimes the faulty post may actually stimulate the conversation and direct the readers to the actual truth.

I am opinionated, but will gladly discuss anything to the end. And if I am proven faulty in my thoughts, then I may be re-biased in my opinions by the facts brought forward.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
JFetch, good point made. My understanding is that science is just as political' as any other human endeavour out there. If so then it is always suspect IMHO!

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Good point everyone. Everything has conspiracies and no one can answer the question who gets to decide what the facts are.

But can we have a place where we can explain things to another like someone explains to us who King Herold was or whatever.

What I'm looking for is a place to go and read something that is at least currently believed to be true, not a place where people post idiotic comments.

I wonder if the Mods take member's ideas and make them real.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
There is allready something to do that, the internet. If I come across something that I don't know about, I do a search for it. My Google toolbar is my greatest source for information about things I don't know yet.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JFetch
There is allready something to do that, the internet. If I come across something that I don't know about, I do a search for it. My Google toolbar is my greatest source for information about things I don't know yet.

Then why people come to ATS? Interaction, you can't ask questions to internet. In ATS you can.

And I don't always understand the stuff that is on internet.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Your talking about finding out about things, what they are and so on. The net is the best place for facts without someone's opinions on it(depending on where you go). Think about this, where do most people on here get their facts from? Why do people want links to back up what they say? This is a place to inform others about something and discuss their opinions on it. If you just want to ask people what something is, first do some research yourself and come to your own conclusions about it.

new topics

top topics

join