It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have Tourettes? (Please help me!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I know that sounds like weird but hear me out....

Since about the summer of 2002 (i can't remember if it definatly was 2002, but it wasn't much earlier or later) I've had a really weird tick... I'll blink really hard uncontrollably and my face will spasm with it (almost into a smile.. but i scrunch my eyes up really right and my mouth turns into a really wide idiotic grin...) at one point it was so bad i was doing it every second of everyday nearly, it's calmed down a bit over the years but it's still there - now it's developed a bit further and sometimes i'll push my tongue up just after i've spasmed with my eyes and i'll try to breath out of my nose but i won't be able to...

There had been occasions before 2002 where I'd periodically start to blink really hard without my control, but it would go away.

I say without control... I can stop it but when i do i have to really fight the urge which is why im beginning to think its tourettes (I origionally thought it was because of a caffien overdose after drinking 20 cups of coffee in a day).

Can anyone help me, it's really bugging me now to what's causing it because it makes me feel like an idiot sometimes. I know I should go to the doctors but i feel i go too much for other stuff (I have problems with my knee's).

I'll also add that it does get worse with stress, which adds to me thinking it's tourettes... but is it possible it starts so late in life (I would have been 13 then i think) I always had the idea most people developed it in early childhood...?

Also I do have some self destructive beheivour, which i've heard can be linked aswell

- I pull my eye lashes out constantly - once until i had none left either eye

- I pull my eyebrows out because i cannot bear to feel them prickle, but i cant stop touching them to avoid them prickling me

- I bite my nails because i cannot bear to feel them and i cut my toe nails down so i can't feel them

- I will often get over stressed for no reason and will beat my legs or bite my arms

- I will snap me hair if i see dead ends or it doesn't fit the rest of my head (e.g. too thick to feel).

Someone please help me

Edit //

I found a site with some non 'official' symptoms that often occur in tourettes sufferers

- Sleeping for too long or insomnia - I will sleep for about 13 hours at a time if not forced to get up, even if I have gone to bed at a reasonable time.

- Tactile Hypersensitivity - 5 out of the 13 patients with Tourette Syndrome mentioned they had this symptom. Some of them couldn't stand the feel of hair on their skin. Clothing tags are a nuisance. They cannot wear synthetic material or wool. Pure cotton undergarments seem to be the only acceptable alternative and a couple of women go bra-less because they are too uncomfortable otherwise. There seems a higher than normal level of allergies to things like detergents and cheap metal jewelry. Even the thought of touching chalk makes some of them squirm. Often a person with this symptom will feel suddenly itchy all over, for no discernable reason. This itchiness can be triggered by watching seeing a biting insect, seeing someone else scratch, and even talking about scratching or itches. (i suffer from these quite dramatically, it can be quite embaressing in a public place when i have to scratch my face constantly or my arms)

- Residual Consequences - may include: Low Self-Esteem; Frustration; Depression; Social Withdrawal - in the 1800's a 90 year old woman, the Marquise de Dampierre, had withdrawn from social contact for 70 years, due to this disorder - Impaired Relationships; Anger; Oversensitivity; Discouragement; Feelings of being crazy, bad, stupid, rejected, unloved, hopeless. Impaired ability to understand or appropriately respond to others; Self-Injurious Behaviours and Eating and Sleeping Disorders.

I know these are not definate symptoms but i find it odd that I also suffer from these a lot. Also when I was a child I had no friend because I would become agressive during confrontation - In one occasion I kicked a younger boy smaller than me in a rather sore area (if you'll forgive the pun) so hard he had to go to the doctors because he laughed at me, also I once started spitting at people from a high area because I thought they where all against me... I was taken to the doctors at this point but he saw nothing wrong with me. This agressive beheivour isn't as bad these days but I have a habit of hitting people I am close to for no reason because it feels like i should (same kind of feeling as the tic in my face)

Another Edit//

I'll also say over the past year or so I've found it harder to concentrate on things, I'll forget what im saying mid sentace if someone interupts me - or more often than not I'll start thinking about something else and forget what im saying. I'll also often zone out during some lessons and even as try as I might all i can do is doodle... but maybe that's because Blake isn't the most exciting poet
. I also have a fear of talking to people on the phone because i get so confused talking to people on them, i'v just started to combat it but it's getting ridiculous... I wouldn't even ring my boyfriend for the first 8 months of our relationship.

I also have an irrational fear of big things in the sea... but maybe I'm just crazy lol '-_-...

Anyway, if you can be bothered to plough though my length post it would be a great help!

[edit on 4/4/07 by FudgeStix]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The best advice I can give you is to go see a real psychiatrist (a real medical doctor, not a psychologist).

No one here (even if they were an M.D. psychiatrist IRL) could make that kind of diagnosis over the Internet.

It sounds like you do have something going on, and I think you need to do something about it. You certainly would be helped by getting a proper diagnosis and perhaps need drugs or other treatments.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I don't know where to go for that though, my GP is a cow who fixes everything (including my mothers ezcma) with ibuprofen :/ - the NHS is in such a state you can't even get a dentist so lord knows where I'm going to find a psychiatrist :S Anyone from the uk got any advice where I can find one of these mythical beings?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I would also add neurologist to psychiatrist as possible doctors that could treat you. If it's some involuntary ticks, actually I think neurologist might be the more appropriate one.

I'm from the U.S. and have no idea how your nationalized healthcare system in the UK works...isn't there a website or phone number you can call up to find a doctor covered by that like an insurance company here? Hopefully someone here from the UK can give you a tip.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Not really, we have a phoneline we ring if we have a heart attack, just to make sure it's a heart attack so we don't bother the nice hospital people. A neurologist might be easier to track down, but no doubt there will be a waiting list until 2012 - and according to most on ATS we'll have faced the apocalypse by then so whats the point XD.

Thanks for you help so far though, I'll keep looking round for advice on how to get appointment with these dr's - but I have the feeling my GP has to refer me to them, and like I said my GP thinks ibuprofen are the cure for everything lol

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It does sound like Tourettes or some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder. Seeing a psychiatrist is good advice. I would think he'd give you something, maybe an anti-depressant, to slow you down a bit, but please see a doctor.

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
fudgestix, you need to go see your GP. Tell them the issues you have been having and ask for a referral to a neurologist.

It does sound very much like tourettes, but only the neurologist will be able to make this diagnosis.

I do suggest you cut down on the caffeine though, it certainly won't help.

ABE: This is the DSM-IV-TR criteria-

A. Both multiple motor and one or more vocal tics have been present at some time during the illness, although not necessarily concurrently. (A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization.)

B. The tics occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently throughout a period of more than 1 year, and during this period there was never a tic-free period of more than 3 consecutive months.

C. The onset is before age 18 years.

D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., stimulants) or a general medical condition (e.g., Huntington's disease or postviral encephalitis).

and more details here

[edit on 5-4-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You really should go see a doctor in the very near future. It could be tourettes, or epilepsy, or a plethora of other things.
Go and get yourself checked out my friend.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
It does sound like Tourettes or some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I was thinking OCD too.

When you bite yourself are you drawing blood? My wife's friend does the eyelash thing too, but she's otherwise fine... she's says it's an OCD thing but I'm not sure that was a professional diagnosis.

Definately get yourself to a Doc as soon as possible. If its outside his/her field of expertise I'm sure they'd point you in the right direction... nothing is more important than your health.

I did a little searching and found this from, The Royal College of Psychiatrists:

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

This leaflet is for anyone who wants to know more about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). It discusses how it works, why it is used, its effects, side-effects, and alternative treatments. If you can't find what you want here, there are sources of further information at the end of this leaflet.

[...]

It has been found to be helpful in:

-Anxiety

-Depression

-Panic

-Agoraphobia and other phobias

-Social phobia

-Bulimia

-Obsessive compulsive disorder

-Post traumatic stress disorder

-Schizophrenia

Good luck, friend
-Rren

[edit on 5-4-2007 by Rren]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
See a doctor today. You need a professional opinion and the longer you wait the less treatable it may be....

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., stimulants) or a general medical condition (e.g., Huntington's disease or postviral encephalitis).

[edit on 5-4-2007 by melatonin]

Well it certainly isn't due to substrance abuse, and I've looked through those other desieses and most are genetic - and im pretty sure that im safe on that part. Some of those are pretty scary lol ; ;.

Originally posted by Rren
When you bite yourself are you drawing blood? My wife's friend does the eyelash thing too, but she's otherwise fine... she's says it's an OCD thing but I'm not sure that was a professional diagnosis.

No im not drawing blood, I'll just bite until it hurts and then let go.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I know this may seem unorthodox ,but have you ever had a chronic addiction to marijuana ?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
no, never taken drugs of any kind (well apart from anti-inflamitories) - in fact I don't really drink that much apart from the odd glass of wine lol.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Have you cut back on your coffee?

Happens when I don't sleep for a year and a half.....

My advice, develop a terminal addiction to alcohol, the only legal drug with some punch..:w:, it will disperse any other problems you may have with oblivion and then the eventual recovery process will consume so much of your time, you won't have time to obsessively compulse over ticks.

Seriously though, psychologists are not so bad and won't act as pushers for the pharmaceutical industry unless they see that it's required.

Failing that, try starting a regular meditation practice once a day.

Five minutes a day for a year, of sitting with yourself alone in the golden of silence with only the chatter of your own mind to observe without judgment will change your mind forever.

Two years at ten minutes and bio feedback becomes a reality.

Not an easier softer way, but a sure fire pay off. Think of it this way..

You have been called to a higher order.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Funny u post this because i am doing a report on this disoder. Well they symotoms normally start accuring between 7 and 10. It rarely and harly ever goes over 21. Pluse, are these uncontrolable and unpredictable??? Does phsical activities uncrease these tics? Meds.,allergies,axiety, increase tham? Symtoms like moter and vocal tics. DO u have both? sorry for the ?'s. But, have u been developing a sleeping disorder?
peace

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't have a vocal tic, just mainly the eye twitch - they increase when im stressed mainly, which I have been latley due to exams. I don't have a sleeping disorder but I can sleep for england when I want to, i once fell asleep at 9pm and woke up the next day at 6pm... but that was a few years ago

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FudgeStix
I don't have a vocal tic, just mainly the eye twitch - they increase when im stressed mainly, which I have been latley due to exams. I don't have a sleeping disorder but I can sleep for england when I want to, i once fell asleep at 9pm and woke up the next day at 6pm... but that was a few years ago

If you've never had a vocal tic, then it won't be tourettes. There is 'tic disorder', which can be due to either vocal or motor tics.

But, still, get yourself to the quacks.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So judging by your b-day u are about 19..? Ya, i think it is possoble. But i als think mabe u could grow out of it. It rearely goes over the age of 21... like i said. But still i am sure it could be scary. I think u should go see a docter because it can be serious and if it is bad anough u have to go get brain surgery.
peace

ps... i love ur name.lol funny

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Oh, and melatotian is wrong, sorry. but u can have both, one or the other. So it can be tourettes.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxylad-ay
Oh, and melatotian is wrong, sorry. but u can have both, one or the other. So it can be tourettes.

Errm, not according to the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). You need to have both motor and at least one vocal tic. You don't need to have them concurrently, but you need to have had it at some point for a diagnosis of tourettes.

I posted the DSM criteria earlier, the relevant part for tourettes is:

A. Both multiple motor and one or more vocal tics have been present at some time during the illness, although not necessarily concurrently. (A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization.)

Whereas chronic motor or vocal tic disorder can be:

A. Single or multiple motor or vocal tics (i.e., sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic, stereotyped motor movements or vocalizations), but not both, have been present at some time during the illness.

[edit on 7-4-2007 by melatonin]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join