It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 15 Happy Britons Can Go, But Not The French Guy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The 15 Happy Britons Can Go, But Not The French Guy

abcnews.go.com

PARIS Apr 4, 2007 (AP)— France's Foreign Ministry called on Iran Wednesday to find a quick solution so that a French academic barred from leaving the country since late January can return home.

Stephane Dudoignon was arrested in the sensitive region of Sistan-Baluchestan in southeastern Iran on Jan. 30 after photographing a religious procession there, French Foreign Ministry spokesman Denis Simonneau said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran to Release 15 UK Sailors/Marines

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
With the 15 Britons to be released, and that crisis all but finished, it may be worth noting another that is still unresolved between Iran and French leaders over a French academic who has been barred from leaving the country.

Do we send in another aircraft carrier group, or wait for a diplomatic solution?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I think it would be best to let the French handle this one.....poor guy might as well learn to like Iran....he's going to be there for a while.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Do we send in another aircraft carrier group, or wait for a diplomatic solution?

How many CBG's do you need?
There's like 3 there already, plus the French Charles de Gaulle battle group.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
How many CBG's do you need?
There's like 3 there already, plus the French Charles de Gaulle battle group.

I am convinced that a strong show of military force, and obscure threats of invasion, and war will compel the Iranians to release this French man.

It could work.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with the French minister that this is nothing like the UK sailor/marine situation.

This was a private citizen arrested on Iranian land (indisputably) apparently breaking Iranian law by taking these pictures.

Completely different situation.

[edit on 4/4/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I agree djohnsto77.

It was just a little sarcasm on my part, as the crisis with the Britons was fundamentally different, yet when dealing with Iran it does seem as if threats of overwhelming force seems to have an effect on them.

Why not use it in this case?

I can't help but wonder what story history in the far future would have told if there had been a war sparked as a result of the Iranians continuing to detain the 15 Sailors and Marines.

top topics

join