It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troy Hurtubise...Projecttroy.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I saw this guy on The Science Channel this past weekend.He's trying to design a full-body armor suit that can withstand a grizzly bear attack.He tests the suits himself by getting wacked by baseball bats,2x4's,machete's,concrete blocks being swung into his chest,rammed by a truck goin 25mph.His methods might seem loony but i think he's on the right track.

www.projecttroy.com...

Another project he's been working on is a heat-repellant he calls "fire paste".I saw a clip on tv where
he makes it in a regular house oven.He shaped it into a helmet and put it on his head and placed a torch on it for 5 minutes.He didn't burn a hair.It's resisted temperatures up to 3600 degrees.

www.baytoday.ca...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The guy was a loon! I saw that show, it was so funny! What's he going to do when the bear knocks him down? He's going to have to sit there getting pounded on until the bear gets tired because he's to akward in the titanium suit...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I thought there was arleady a "bear proof" suit?

The fire past sounds really cool. I could think of a million uses for it.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
because he's to akward in the titanium suit...

Titanium is one of the lightest of metals.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Junglejake i agree with ya the part of him getting stomped by a grizzly.Maybe if he ties a rope to the suit so that if it does happen he can be dragged away.Good idea that still needs work i say.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
But the suit is huge, and a lot of it is bolted together. He's not very flexible. Plus, it's extreamly top heavy. If you saw the show, you'd have seen how akward he was when he was walking, and especially when he got up.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
That fire paste reminds me of Zel Gel or Stunt Gel but only in a solid state rather than gel. Only a matter of time that a solid form was invented

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I meant to say if it were more flexible.The overall idea is to study bears closeup not go toe-to-toe with them.

link   
just one swipe of the paws, it does not matter if you are wearing a suit or not. If he wants to try though, I'll take him fishing with me, for I fish with the brownies each summer. My guess is that if he saw one close and in the wild he would haul as* in the other direction- the last animal you want to mess with is a grizzly- especially in a suit such as this...rediculous

link   

Originally posted by PARALYZ
Junglejake i agree with ya the part of him getting stomped by a grizzly.Maybe if he ties a rope to the suit so that if it does happen he can be dragged away.Good idea that still needs work i say.

But why? As another person on that show was saying, you can create an artificial habitat in the wild where a bear would hibernate, and be able to observe without having to be in the bears den, in danger...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I didn't realize that bear attacks were common enough to warrant a suit, hehe....

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
True...I still think he should push the technolgy as far as it can go and if it doesn't work out in the end then the concept can be put to use another way.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Wanna see a big bear? This airforce guy that shot this one was very lucky- the bear did not know he was there- and he was able to get a good shot. The claws measured 11 feet paw to paw !
Brownies are hard kills, and if they are aware of your presense thier adrenalin is elevated, and they are good for a hundred yards no matter how many times you shoot.
We have many bear maulings here in Alaska- they don't play. Most incidents occur when a. You walk up on a sleeping grizzly or b. you get between a sow and her cubs. The latter is a very, very bad situation to be in.
Enjoy this article and photo- Click Here

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Great find,that sucker is HUGE!

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Tell me that a suit will stand to that paw. These bears are BIG people- and there are many here that are even larger. Check some of the links provided, there are head shots of this brownie all over the web-
You just don't go on a walk through the woods here without being prepared- for obvious reasons.
They can bust their way through 6 inch log cabins- chew metal,, etc.
And you Do Not take a girl in the woods with you if it is that time of the month for her- this is an open invitation to be checked out .
I cannot put into words the experience of fishing near these bears. We actually fish in the same salmon hole every summer- and I back up when they come . Then they will eat a few fish and generally move along. Standard gear (armanent) for me when I go fishing is a Remington 1100 Riot shotgun with alternating rounds of 2# buckshot and slugs, and on my side is my .357 Dan Wesson. I have not had to use these yet- with knowledge and understanding you can stay out their way. Most of the maulings occur when people do not know how to react to an encounter. If the bear is in question of your presence he will typically do a "bluff" charge- he will go a short distance and stop and stand up. this is a critical moment...if you run- he is on you. If you stand your ground, he might back down...might not.It is an awesome feeling to experience this.And I have. If anyone wants to see...come with me! My favorite hole (and several big brownies) is on Goose Creek, below Talkeetna, Alaska. It's a trip- the part I worry about is the walk back to my car-20 mins or so and you are carrying loads of salmon-haha, along their game trail.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
just one swipe of the paws, it does not matter if you are wearing a suit or not. If he wants to try though, I'll take him fishing with me, for I fish with the brownies each summer. My guess is that if he saw one close and in the wild he would haul as* in the other direction- the last animal you want to mess with is a grizzly- especially in a suit such as this...rediculous

he has seen one in the wild and went toe toe with it without the suit. i don't see why so many of yall are dissing the suit.

i think it is cool. and an ingenious idea. "yea i go fishin' i whacka whacka whacka whacka." proclaims some erroneous presumptuos jackass.

like someone already said the purpose of the suit is to study them upclose. and if one thinks that is loony i think you are a complete moron.

why troy does what he does
his encounter with the old man.
www.projecttroy.com...

peace out.

[Edited on 083131p://3108u by panchovilla]

[Edited on 083131p://3108u by panchovilla]

top topics

join