It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

active hurricane season 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
2005 was off the charts.

not one single hurricane touched last year in 2006, which was a suprise.

This in in 2007 will be major.

NEW ORLEANS - This year's hurricane season will likely be more active than normal, the director of the National Hurricane Center director warned on Wednesday, one day after a leading researcher forecast a "very active" season.

The El Nino weather pattern that suppressed hurricane development last year has diminished, and wind patterns appear to be shifting in a way that would lead tropical systems toward land rather than keeping them at sea, center director Bill Proenza said at the National Hurricane Conference.

It appears that "we tend to go back to an above normal season" this year, in line with a theory that the Atlantic is in a decades-long active period that started in 1995, he said.

Still "there are a lot of things that could happen in the atmosphere that could have a bearing on the season," he said.

El Nino is the periodic warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean that can affect weather around the world.

William Gray, a top hurricane forecaster on Tuesday predicted a "very active" season this year with at least nine hurricanes — five of them major hurricanes — and a good chance that one major hurricane will hit the U.S. coast.

Gray, based at Colorado State University, predicts a total of 17 named storms this year.

The Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, averages 9.6 named storms, 5.9 hurricanes and 2.3 intense hurricanes.

The National Hurricane Center will issue its forecast for the 2007 season in late May

they made us evacuate last year, and alot of people died just trying to leave Houston, because noone was prepared, and the highways were PACKED... i could the traffic from my apartment outside.
but yea, i think a few hundred died.... from the heat. lots of people ran out of gas. ALL the gas stations were out of gas.

worst part of all is NOTHING happened. not only did a hurricane NOT hit houston... but it didnt do anything, barely any rain.

people were mad, so noone is going to want to evacuate this year, and i think this year will be serious. i didnt evacuate either last year, for some reason i felt like it was ok. but not feeling this way this year.

anyone that lives by the coasts should watch out.

join