It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama raises over $25 Million *UPDATE*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I dont think he has made a 'official' statement yet, BUT his official website states that he has raised over $25 million. and $23.5 million for the primary.

my.barackobama.com...

UPDATE

Democrat Barack Obama raked in $25 million for his presidential bid in the first three months of 2007, placing him on a par with front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton and dashing her image as the party’s inevitable nominee.

The campaign reported that the figure included at least $23.5 million that he can spend on the highly competitive primary race. The Clinton campaign has yet to disclose how much they can use for the primary verses money that is designated for the general election.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 4/4/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
He can raise all of the money he wants. Look, I think that Obama will EVENTUALLY be a viable candidate, but, who really knows anything about the guy? What has he done? He hasn't even been involved in politics long enough to know what the hell is going on,much like our current president.

From what I can gather, the guy is just gathering steam via his "charisma," whatever the hell that is,
and his newbie status.

Unfortunaely for America, people tend to vote on the basis of "charisma" rather than ideas, so, he may stand a chance. Sheep, vote away.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
IMO its more than his charisma. I like what he stands for and his plans for the future. He has been a Senator for 2 yrs. so his political experience seems to be equal the experience GWBush with him only being governor for a few yrs. before he was elected.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
IMO its more than his charisma. I like what he stands for and his plans for the future. He has been a Senator for 2 yrs. so his political experience seems to be equal the experience GWBush with him only being governor for a few yrs. before he was elected.

Yeah, that's what worries me. We've got a guy in office right now who I feel like made a bid for the presidency and got it about eight years too soon. Look,I am from Texas and the governor here is the second weakest governor in the United States,Obama is just a Senator and hasn't even served four years yet...

I am not going to say that I won't vote for the guy, but unless he starts telling people what he wants to do, I can't see myself voting for him. I certainly am not going to vote for someone just because they have "charisma," which is a term I have never really understood anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well why dont you go to his website and see if his position on issues is n par with yours?

BTW this a link to the page that states his issues You can click on each topic to get an more in depth look--------> Obama's Issues

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well, I agree with him,probably, on most issues except for Iraq. Here is the problem. Did I think we should have went into Iraq when we did? No. Did I think that it was inevitable that we would wind up going there eventually? Yes, I did.

However, here is the problem I have with people who want to bail out of Iraq. Leave Iraq and then what? Let Iran or Syria take over? That's exactly what will happen. What kind of a message is that sending to the rest of the world about America? Seems to be very weak to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I believe the whole Iraq thing is lose-lose. We shouldnt be there in the first place and that leaves us with no easy way out. If we stay then things will be at a stallmate, soldiers will die Iraq will still be in chaos. If we leave now then there could be severe backlash against the troops with an increase in violence IMO the best thing to do is leave and ask for the UN or some other country to deal with it because we have already dug ourselves in too deep.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

IMO the best thing to do is leave and ask for the UN or some other country to deal with it because we have already dug ourselves in too deep.

If I had confidence that the U.N could handle it, I'd say well and good. I just don't have much confidence in the United Nations.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, whatever it is that Obama's doing, he's doing it right. Some breakdown on the number according to NPR.

• Obama's $25mil was raised just for the Primary Election, which technically puts him at greater Primary Election advantage than Clinton, whose $26mil is combined funding for both. Since funding has to be spent very specifically, this is a significant advantage for Obama.

• Obama's $25mil was raised from over 100,000 people, as opposed to Clinton's $26mil raised from almost 50,000 people. In a nutshell, roughly twice as many people like Obama enough to give him money before the Primaries.

• Obama's $25mil was raised from individuals, as opposed to Clinton's, which mostly came from PACs and lobbyists.

As for why people are getting behind Obama, rather than Clinton? Charisma is absolutely a factor. After 8 straight years of what has roundly been called The Worst President Ever, tattered foreign relations, an enormous increase in the amount of distrust of the government thanks to repeated lies, scandals, corruption, and domestic surveillance, is it any wonder?

I mean here's a guy who's not only the first viable black candidate for the presidency, which automatically will carry some votes, but he's bright, intelligent, honest, and fresh enough to the politosphere that he has not yet been entangled in webs of corruption and scandals that haunt so many of the other candidates.

I don't think people want an "accomplished politician" anymore. They've SEEN what an accomplished politician does, he runs the morale of the nation and its allies into the ground. What they want is an ordinary guy they feel like they can trust. They need someone to have faith in. The nation really, seriously, needs a President they can believe in, before it's too late and people lose all faith in the country itself.

So I wouldn't be too hard on Obama's supporters. Frankly, I'm probably going to end up being one of them.

• posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:06 PM
    link   
    He's getting all this money? For what???

His resume is practically empty.
    He's has no economic platform.
    He belongs to a 'church' that espouses being faithful first to his 'real homeland - africa'
    He's a recovering crack-head. (to his credit at least he doesn't say something lame like 'I didn't inhale'.)

All he's running on is - hey, vote for me, I'm half black.
    (Actually, he's burying the half white part.)

People are actually giving him money ... boggles the mind!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:12 PM
    link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Yeah, cause there's no way they'd vote for a coke-head alcoholic who did everything he could to dodge active military duty, ran every company he touched into the ground, and can't pronounce the word "nuclear", let alone define it...

...oh...wait... Yeah. They did. 8 years ago. Then they did it again 4 years ago.

If you want to know why people are backing Obama, just look at our current "president" and you'll have your answers. They want someone who ISN'T Bush, isn't Republican, and isn't connected to scandal. The best they've managed to find against Obama is the whole Church thing and his name. Hillary hasn't even gotten past Whitewater yet.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:14 PM
    link   

He's getting all this money? For what???

He belongs to a 'church' that espouses being faithful first to his 'real homeland - africa'
    He's a recovering crack-head. (to his credit at least he doesn't say something lame like 'I didn't inhale'.)

All he's running on is - hey, vote for me, I'm half black.
    (Actually, he's burying the half white part.)

with regards to his church almost all predom. black chuches are like that. But your making it sound like the type of chuch he goes to puts Africa above everything else it doesnt. It teaches christian values and how to better the african-american community. 2nd he has never buried the white part of him. In alot interviews he always says his mother is white but he is black....He is just smart enough to recognize the 'one drop rule.' its kinda funny how most african american say he's black but alot of white analyst like to say he's half-white/black (Im just making a general observation that last part isnt really directed at you). And yes he is a recovering addict which he told people years ago in his book i dont really see what the problem is.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:32 PM
    link   

Originally posted by thelibra
    If you want to know why people are backing Obama, just look at our current "president" and you'll have your answers.

He's the president. No need to put quotes around it.

No, looking at Bush doesn't answer the question. There are PLENTY of qualified democrats, and yet Obama is still bringing in more star power and more money than they are.

Bottom line. His resume is empty.
    I can't wait for this guy to be vetted properly.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:36 PM
    link   

But your making it sound like the type of chuch he goes to puts Africa above everything else it doesnt.

www.abovepolitics.com...

'remain true to our native land'. That puts Africa above America.
    I didn't make it sound that way. THEY did. And they still do.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:46 PM
    link   
    Im sorry but i really dont see your point. Are you trying to make a point that he is a racist or what?. 99% of all black churches are like this. From what i read through the link they are a church that teaches christian values while also trying to better and stregnthen the black community. whats the prob with that?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:07 PM
    link   
    25 big ones from special interest. Who do you think he will pledge his allegiance to? It aint the american ppl..

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:06 PM
    link   
    I think what is even more amazing than Obama picking up 25 million is that Romney got 23 million. Perhaps these will be the two that we'll have to choose from in the 2008 election.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:08 PM
    link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
    25 big ones from special interest. Who do you think he will pledge his allegiance to? It aint the american ppl..

That can be said of all of the presidential candidates. This is actually an issue that I have brought up many times. Most of these politicians from the republican and Democrat parties are not looking out for our interest, they are looking out for the interest of their financiers

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:35 PM
    link   

He's a recovering crack-head.

Are you ruthless or what?

I think you are missing the point Libra is making. None of that really matters.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see the West care about Africa for once. The place is used and abused to high heaven.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:32 PM
    link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by semperfoo

That can be said of all of the presidential candidates. This is actually an issue that I have brought up many times. Most of these politicians from the republican and Democrat parties are not looking out for our interest, they are looking out for the interest of their financiers

I agree. All are guilty of it. I mean if you have over 20 mill at this point I cant help but think someone is trying to buy you out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join