It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War that Must Not be Named

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Army Times Article

The War that Must Not be Named

The House Armed Services Committee is banishing the term’ Global War On Terror from the 2008 defense budget. A March 27 memo says that this is in an effort to “avoid using colloquialisms.” Also banned is the phrase the “long war,” which military officials began using to acknowledge that military operations against terrorist states and organizations would take a long time.

Committee aides said dropping or reducing references to the global war on terror could have the purpose of making an effort to be more precise about military operations.

Of course, it could also be just old fashioned politics. Read the article.

Comments?

Army Times Article

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
No one thinks this is very strange? I thought it was very educational. It clearly shows the use of semantics in politics to further an agenda. It shows how carefully orchestrated and worded these things are by those who have access to major documents.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think the new wording is more for public opinion than anything else, the war on terror has lost its luster within the population and people are starting to react negative when they heard the words.

Changing the words will cause people to react different and to think about "what it means"

This is like playing with the minds of the people to achieve a desirable reaction.

Words like "Global" and "fighting terror" seems to bring the memories of a Global fight that will have not end.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yea good idea! Let's rename anything we don't like. It's like calling a person who cleans bathrooms a "Latrine Sanitation Engineer". This whole thing is becoming quite rediculous.

Next thing you know my GWOT medals will be called "War in the horn of Africa" medals. WITHOA? Nah, i'll keep saying GWOT.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
That makes me feel much better about Democrats. I do not see why people are jumping the gun on Democrats all the time saying that we are appeasing the enemy but they are appealing to Conspiracists who want George W Bush out of the office. The term "war on Terror" was a derrogetory term used to describe all wars about terrorism, which of course, was an excuse to get more wars.

This, should prevent Republicans from their war machine from becoming too out of control. That, is what I must say, is really sad. What happened here, is a sad example of how people can be too caught up with the media.

I don't notice anything strange but what I do notice is that the other political party is starting to make some sense, so they are our heroes, they will lead us out of the darkness. They will take us out of the abyss, and we will be in flesh and bone when they do it.

If the Republicans continue doing what they are doing and keep criticizing the Democrats for no reason when they are failing with their Iraq war Policy, they will fail more.

The American people listen to Barack Obama, they like him.

They like him better than Bush, and he will manage these "wars" correctly.

It should be called the "war on sectionalized terrorism" instead of the "Gwot".

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'll keep calling it

The
War
Against
Terror

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
I'll keep calling it

The
War
Against
Terror

and I'll keep calling it the The War of Terror.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'll call it the Beltway War On Insufficient Defense Contractor Profits

I am all for a global war to destroy Al Quaeda, but you can't declare war on a tactic.

new topics

top topics

join