It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Release 15 UK Sailors/Marines

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Or they took the rumors of April 6th in conjunction with Blair's "next 48 hours" statement as a serious threat of force. Releasing the captives at this point probably made such a strike unjustifiable.

The only question was if the rumors of an attack were intentional to force their hand.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
it really makes me wonder if this whole thing had been staged managed to take some of the pressure of the UK and US for the tradgedy in Iraq.

Anybody who understands outside interest in Iran would tell you invasion was never an option.
Both china and Russia have invested heavily in Iran and to invade would have sparked WW3.

China invested 300 billion for Oil and natural gas.

This has shown that the US and UK are willing to take the diplomatic route.
Many will say that this shows weakness, but after Iraq a change of direction was needed.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Video showing Ahmadinejad smiling and shaking hands and conversing with the 15 prior to their handing over to the UK embassy.

I wonder if president Bush shook hands with prisoners of war held in Gitmo's around the world?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres
But maybe that peace loving, caring Mahmood decided that they could be released as a 'gift' without the Brits having to apoligise.

There's no reason to be snide. I tend to agree with you; I happen to think that the term "hostages" is not far off, because Iran was engaged in diplomatic talks with Britain about it. But statements like that overshadow your argument and antagonize people against you. It is frustrating to try and be reasonable when people on both sides yell and caterwaul all the time.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Edit: I see the title has been changed...
In my best Emily Litella voice... "Never Mind"

I thought I had changed it earlier, I know there are different sides on how these 15 are referred to, I want it to be neutral and let others debate the issue. Thanks for pointing it out to me...

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
it really makes me wonder if this whole thing had been staged managed to take some of the pressure of the UK and US for the tradgedy in Iraq.

I don't understand how it would be engineered between two countries that don't have the best of relations right now. Besides, now it's over and the focus will go back to Iraq.

Anybody who understands outside interest in Iran would tell you invasion was never an option.
Both china and Russia have invested heavily in Iran and to invade would have sparked WW3.

Totally agreed.

China invested 300 billion for Oil and natural gas.

This has shown that the US and UK are willing to take the diplomatic route.
Many will say that this shows weakness, but after Iraq a change of direction was needed.

I think the US and UK have been open to the diplomatic option longer than most people want to think. But I also think that the run up to the Iraq war damaged that perception. From where I sit, the US is engaged in diplomatic efforts on a daily basis throughout the world. It's only the 1% that fails or results in military action that we pay attention to. This is true of any country.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

News BBC

Television pictures showed the Iranian president smiling and chatting with the crew. He joked to one: "How are you? So you came on a mandatory vacation?"

The Britons were wearing suits, rather than the military uniform and tracksuits they wore in previous pictures. The one female crew member, Faye Turney, wore a blue headscarf and jacket.

An unidentified crew member said: "I'd like to say that myself and my whole team are very grateful for your forgiveness. I'd like to thank yourself and the Iranian people... Thank you very much, sir."

Mr Ahmadinejad responded in Farsi: "You are welcome."

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

So nice!

Even if they were violating Iranian territory, they were given food, cigarettes, shelter, new clothes and the president shook their hands and they thanked him and the are on the way back home.

[edit on 4/4/07 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

That can be proven can it?

Yes it can be proven by showing the GPS tracking coordinates sent out every minute or perhaps 5 (not sure on the duration) by the devices. If you check any aircraft travel tracker take a look you can see where they have been minute by minute for the whole flight. God you have to love GPS it shows who the real liars are.

Completed flight with all coordinates looks minute bye minute

[edit on 4/4/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
???????

I wonder if president Bush shook hands with prisoners of war held in Gitmo's around the world?
???????

Of course not. The prisoners we hold are part of terrorist groups whoe seek to take the lives of American citizens.

The captured sailors and marines of Great Britain never sought to take the lives of any Iranians.

Would you shake the hand of someone who killed your family members and/or friends or sought to do so?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Saw a blip on PM Blair statement anyone know what he said?

I didn't catch his remarks..

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Anybody else notice the hand tailored suits the male captives were wearing?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just caught park of the release statement

quote I ask PM Blair not to question the prisoners unquote Yeah right he doesn't want them to tell the real truth as if that will happen.

they will tell it blow by blow unforunately you and I will never hear the true details of what took place

I did notice the suits also what is with that anyhow?
they were milittary personnel not civilians. More the likely and just a guess on my part but the uniforms might have containsed blood on them

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by Odium

That can be proven can it?

Yes it can be proven by showing the GPS tracking coordinates sent out every minute or perhaps 5 (not sure on the duration) by the devices. If you check any aircraft travel tracker take a look you can see where they have been minute by minute for the whole flight. God you have to love GPS it shows who the real liars are.

Completed flight with all coordinates looks minute bye minute

True, but even british naval staff declared that the line the british say they wernt stepping over, DOESNT exist.

You cannot say who was where in this case.

Neither side has proven IF they were in Iranian or Iraqi waters.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Neither side has proven IF they were in Iranian or Iraqi waters.

I doubt it ever will be proven, it conveniently happened in a disputed border area so it will probably remain a mystery, each side with different claims.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Here's a report concerning Blair's remarks on the release:

Blair: UK bears Iranian people no ill will

Tony Blair has responded to news from Iran that 15 Royal Navy personnel are to be released by telling the country's people that Britain bears them "no ill will".

At a lengthy press conference from Tehran this afternoon, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said he would return the 14 men and one woman, seized in the Gulf on March 23rd, as "a gift" to the UK.

Speaking outside Downing Street this evening, Mr Blair stopped short of thanking the Iranian president, but said he had taken a "measured approach" in seemingly ending the dispute, "firm but calm, "not negotiating but not confronting either".

Tea

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Read the news stories about the release. This thread should be renamed "Blair Kisses Iranian Buttocks".

What a nancy.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Even if they were violating Iranian territory,

Still on that, eh Souljah. Don't worry, they were not violating Iranian territory.

BTW .. ya'll are missing the bigger picture here. (and I do mean BIGger).

ROSIE O'DONNEL was wrong.
All her rhetoric about 'gulf of tonkin' and that this was faked by the government ... etc etc.

WRONG!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres
Demands were set for their release. Firstly, all of the hostages had to 'confess'. They all did. Then the Uk Government had to apologise and say that it won't happen again.

Do you have a link on that? I admit I haven't followed this story very closely and hadn't heard that their confession and apology were forced or demanded.

Link please? Thanks.

P.S. The Brits were so very cool under these circumstances! I applaud them!
I'm sorry to say but I am actually glad they were taken prisoner and not US soldiers. The world would be a very different place right now if that had happened...

Go Brits!
Thanks for being so cool!

[edit on 4-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Looks like he's trying to avoid getting bombed..

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I wonder what the invasion will now be based on ....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join