It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible EMP block

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
please see my last post on this thread in regards to the Ground issue. I also posted on a little known danger of EMP and why it becomes more dangerous after the pulse passes.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged!

Slignshot... Good way to think about it.

We seem to be spreading out into 3 threads here, but I'm reading them all.
It will all sort out later in a consensus of peer review, and we can post the results.

Keep up the good work!, its really appreciated.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
As far as I am aware, an EMP damages electronics because its magnetic intensity induces current in all conductors it passes through.

This means EMP shielding would be best made from a high Mu (magnetic permeability) metal, such as "Mu-Metal". Several insulated layers would be best with an outer faraday cage made from metal without seams with a lid design as described elsewhere in this thread. The outer cage should be grounded with multiple thick, flat earth straps to the best grounds available. A lead layer would add protection from radiation which can also damage electronic components.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is similar to my previous post but now I have researched EMPs a bit more and can offer the following advice to those wishing to store equipment and harden it against all type of EMP:

- Insulate and space all layers with a good insulator.
- Paint each metallic layer with several coats of varnish, inside and out.
- Have 2 or more inner layers constructed of a high Mu metal with close fitting lids.
- Have a single lead layer for the innermost layer to absorb as much gamma radiation as possible
- Have an outer faraday cage constructed from a good conductor with no holes or gaps. The lid seal should incorporate a continuous conductive gasket.
- Ground the Faraday cage with multiple, flat conductors to the best grounds possible. Do not use the mains supply earth on its own. Metal water pipes and buried earth rods should do the trick.

This gives the following construction:
1. Faraday Cage
2. Insulator
3. High Mu Box
4. Insulator
5. High Mu Box
6. Insulator
7. Lead
8. Insulator
9. Electronic Equipment

Don't both with mutliple Faraday cages or wrapping the devices in foil etc. If your main concern is nuclear EMP then I suspect you could make do with a single High Mu enclosure.

With this construction your devices should survive all the different type of EMP you may encounter.

The problems with EMP come from:
1. High intensity gamma burst which can damage semiconductor junctions via ionisation.
2. High intensity, high frequency electrical field. This will induce high voltages in any conductor.
3. High intensity, high frequency magnetic field. This will induce current in any conductor.
4. Long duration geomagnetic field. This will induce current in conductors, the longer the condutor the worse it will be.

And before someone asks, yes I am qualified in this area. Protecting devices that is, rather than EMP

top topics

<< 1   >>

join