reply to post by citizen smith
Thats a VERY GOOD Question Citizen Smith !
The COILS inside your DC wind Generator are WINDINGS made of LONG thin copper wire.
TOO much Voltage over these wires WILL burn them OUT.
ALSO, the fact that they are COILED up, INCREASES the EMP effect internally, as they ATTRACT the EMP just like if you took that wire thats coiled up,
and unrolled it into a single LONG wire. Something about the 'circular route' seems to 'increase' and 'attract' the effects of EMP, therfore,
never store rolled up cords near your electronics, or have antennas attatched.
Maybe the EMP's think their doughnuts, and they are just hungry..?
Really though....ONE Burn spot and your 'toasted' with Butter and Jam...
As far as the Batteries..... your A-Ok.
Nothing in there but Lead Sheets, or Gel. No electrionics or thin wires to burn out.
The quickness of the EMP burst WILL NOT 'blow your battery up', or even slightly over charge it, because its so FAST.
It may actually HELP your battery bank by burning off the top layer of sulphate ( or scale ) attatched to each internal plate.
Much like an "Equalization Charge" on modern 4 stage 20 amp chargers.
( overcharge the battery at like 15 volts to 'burn off' the sulphate for an hours long process including overcharging, 50 % discharging, and BULK
charging to about 80-% then slowly trickle charging to 100% and HOLD to re-condition the battery bank and 'equalize' all cells in the bank.)
The EMP is so fast, think of it giving your battery bank a very 'slight' flash burn internally if anything at all.......
Really, Nothing to worry about there...
The only thing that I can think of is IF your bank is connected with cables to your Wind generator, or inverter, or just connected in parallel OR
series, I CAN See the potential for the actual cables themselves to possibly be 'shorted out' by being connected to electronics that 'short
This is something that you normally 'accomidate for' when building a system, with DC fuses, or circuit breakers NEXT TO the battery bank. ( you
should actually FUSE each cable as well, both Positive and Negative, not just the 'Positive' as 90% of everyone does )
EMP wont trip the fuses, but if the cables start to short out and BURN, then the fuse will pop or blow, and save your batteries from MELTING DOWN and
BURNING. ( hopefully )
No directly caused by the EMP, just a later side effect from 'shorting out' other components in your system. Nothing new here..
You should have breakers and fuses anyway, even for non EMP situations.
Keep this in mind though..... you may luck out and NOT get hit with an EMP, even if one goes off near you, depending on size of the weapon ( yeild)
and altitude of the detonation, and weather conditions at the time.
From what I understand, MOST of the EMP from a 'surface burst' is LIMITED to 'about' the radius of the Blast wave.... You can survive the Blast
wave, and have all your electronics fried, or you may survive the blast wave and have all your electronics be A- ok... Depends on who you pissed off
last week I think...
If there is an AIR BURST......, well...... I think you better have some spare internals ready for the wind turbine at minimum.