It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Event in PA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I was checking the RSOE EDIS before going to bed and noticed that there is a nuclear event in Indian Point, Pennsylvania. RSOE doesn't yet have any info about what is happening as this is breaking, but they will have something up soon I'm sure. I checked the major news outlets and cannot find anything about this event. I did read an article that said that the nuclear facility up there has had some trouble already this year; something to do with a cooling problem.

I wonder what's wrong with her now?

I have no reason to be alarmed by this yet. Nuclear events like this pop up from time to time on RSOE, but I thought it was interesting to post. Here's my sources:

Link to Event on RSOE

Link to USA Overview on RSOE

Link to Article About Earlier Coolant Problem

EDIT: Still no word from RSOE, but I found another write up from a local news outlet that states the reactor was just recently brought back online a few days ago...

Indian Point 3 Reactor Returns to Service
Posted: Sunday, 01 April 2007 8:28AM

BUCHANAN, N.Y. (1010 WINS) -- The Indian Point 3 nuclear power plant was returned to service Saturday morning after a scheduled, 24-day outage for refueling and maintenance, the plant's owners said.

SOURCE | 1010 WINS

EDIT: FOUND IT!

Malfunction forces shutdown of Indian Point 3 nuke plant
April 03, 2007

Buchanan — Three days after returning to service following a scheduled refueling, a malfunction at the Indian Point 3 nuclear power plant forced the reactor to be taken offline again this morning.

SOURCE | Times Herald-Record

[edit on 4-4-2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The Indian Point reactors are in New York, just north of the city. I'm not sure why that site is listing it as in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, doesn't seem like anything major to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Yeah, most likely just a coolant pump failure. Nothing really to be alarmed about.

Though, it would be nice to see the reactors in the US take on the same safeguards that the Cando ractors have.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Its more fun watching it explode!!!! or is it too costly to up the ante on safeguards and routine inspections? But then again things happen. dont they?

[edit on 4-4-2007 by rotting_in_paradise]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Yeah, most likely just a coolant pump failure. Nothing really to be alarmed about.

Though, it would be nice to see the reactors in the US take on the same safeguards that the Cando ractors have.

Yea from the outset I figured this wasnt going to be anything to freak over. It did turn out to be interesting though... a big nuke plant shuts down due to coolant problems, then goes offline for refueling, then shuts down again for the same coolant problem.

Who is in charge of quality control around there??

If you dig just a little bit more, it would seem that this reactor site has been somewhat problematic for a while.

Oh, and that is kinda weird that its listed in Pennsylvania huh? I didnt know it was in New York.. but I did notice that that news article was from New York. Oh well, I guess they are allowed a goof or two from time to time.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
**UPDATE** Explosion @ Indian Pointe?

Plant safety director Michael Slobodien said an electrical transformer exploded and caught fire near the plant's No. 3 reactor shortly after 11 a.m Friday. The transformer takes electricity from the reactor and feeds it to overhead power cables. It was protected by a sprinkler deluge system that automatically knocked down much of the fire, Slobodien said.

"It's in an area outside the nuclear part of the plant," Slobodien told reporters. "The plant shut down safely and is under control."

SOURCE | KUTV Salt Lake City

RELATED | RSOE Entry

ARTICLE | Lower Hudson Online

ARTICLE | WCBS New York

[edit on 10-4-2007 by damajikninja]

new topics

top topics

join