It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Cuts Back Baghdad Curfew, Citing Improved Security in Capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

BAGHDAD — The Iraqi government announced plans Tuesday to shorten the curfew in the capital by two hours, saying security had improved enough to let residents stay on the streets until 10 p.m.

Brig. Gen. Qassim al-Moussawi, the spokesman for the Baghdad security operation, said the curfew had been shortened "because the security situation has improved and people needed more time to go shopping."

Since the latest security operation began on Feb. 14, the military had enforced a 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. Before the joint U.S.-Iraqi crackdown, curfew had been from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Violence in the capital has decreased rapidly since the nearly 7-week-old neighborhood-by-neighborhood sweep to quell sectarian violence in the capital began.
www.foxnews.com...

Just goes to show you that things are not as gloomy as the leftist media would have you believe.

Security is improving all over iraq. But this one city which is getting reported as the whole of iraq seems to be getting better atleast from a security standpoint.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Humm, Baghdad has been under curfew many times before and still the problems come back.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Humm, Baghdad has been under curfew many times before and still the problems come back.

But, it has decreased rapidly over the course of 7 weeks due to new tactics. I guess in some peoples eyes that in itself isnt good enough. I guess over time you will come to accept it.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
But, but, but, 7 weeks...

No. The green zone may be in good hands, but the rest of the entire country is still waiting for stabalization.

Which they had before the US went in there.

Which they wont have until long after the US leaves.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
But, but, but, 7 weeks...

No. The green zone may be in good hands, but the rest of the entire country is still waiting for stabalization.

Baghdad is one city and is not the entire country. Ever notice how that one city seems to be the that will make or break Iraq by the leftist media? Ever notice how that city gets more face time then the rest of iraq? Theres a reason for it...

Which they had before the US went in there.

Which they wont have until long after the US leaves.

Some people just cant take good news. Its always got to be doom and gloom with you people. i have 7 buddys who are in the marines who have been over there and 2 of which still are over there. and I take their word over your opinion. Afterall they have seen firsthand while you have just been seeing what the liberal media reports.

It was never 'stabilized' there. saddam just did a good job of hiding it from the international media through fear antics of his own. which is no way to live.

the shiites and sunnis have never gotten along.

[edit on 013030p://0904pm by semperfoo]

[edit on 013030p://0904pm by semperfoo]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Baghdad is one city and is not the entire country. Ever notice how that one city seems to be the that will make or break Iraq by the leftist media? Ever notice how that city gets more face time then the rest of iraq? Theres a reason for it...

first off, as a leftist i don't think you understand exactly how moderate the media is. some outlets may be left-of-center, but saying LEFTIST is an entirely different thing

the reason for it is the fact that the US military is really in charge of the areas in which the media can get around in iraq. if they were to venture OUT of baghdad, they'd probably end up dead or arrested for getting in the way of militay operations

Some people just cant take good news.

i won't be able to take good news until the news makes up for the millions civilians displaced and the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of civilians killed

Its always got to be doom and gloom with you people. i have 7 buddys who are in the marines who have been over there and 2 of which still are over there. and I take their word over your opinion. Afterall they have seen firsthand while you have just been seeing what the liberal media reports.

and i know 3 people that are over there right now, smart guys, incredibly patriotic, and highly disappointed. i used to know 4 guys over there until 1 of them got his leg blown off by an IED.

again, the media is N O T liberal. unless you can back up this claim stop making it

It was never 'stabilized' there. saddam just did a good job of hiding it from the international media through fear antics of his own. which is no way to live.

the shiites and sunnis have never gotten along.

really? one of the directors of the oil-for-food program (he resigned well before any scandal because of he viewed the program as grossly inadequate and unfairly punishing the iraqi civilians) said there was constant intermarriage in iraq under and prior to saddam between shiites and sunnis. his name is claus something, i forgot it now. he lived there for over a year, he didn't see sectarian conflict under saddam.

got anything to back up the claim that the two groups haven't gotten along?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

first off, as a leftist i don't think you understand exactly how moderate the media is. some outlets may be left-of-center, but saying LEFTIST is an entirely different thing.

Does the Liberal media sound better? And I disagree with you, the media has a bias to it when it comes to reporting certain events that paint the right in a darker picture.

And Im not alone in thinking this. It seems that the majority of the american public agrees with me.
Zogby Poll: Voters Believe Media Bias is Very Real
www.zogby.com...

the reason for it is the fact that the US military is really in charge of the areas in which the media can get around in iraq. if they were to venture OUT of baghdad, they'd probably end up dead or arrested for getting in the way of militay operations

Your opinion is not fact.

i won't be able to take good news until the news makes up for the millions civilians displaced and the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of civilians killed

then thats your problem. I for one am happy for the individual iraqi that can got to malls and market place without having to worry about a suicide bomber killing them. There country is starting to improve. I, unlike you, can look at that as a positive thing. I think the average Iraqi would to. And I take it your basing the civilian death claims on the UNs official numbers? You do know that they do not differentiate between enemy combatants and individual iraqis which makes those numbers inaccurate.

and i know 3 people that are over there right now, smart guys, incredibly patriotic, and highly disappointed. i used to know 4 guys over there until 1 of them got his leg blown off by an IED.

Marines? All the marines I have talked to believe in what they are doing. If they didnt they wouldnt be over there. And higly disappointed how? The guys I know are highly disappointed with alot of the American public/media.

again, the media is N O T liberal. unless you can back up this claim stop making it

your annoying. you yourself are a liberal so you wont see the difference do to your bias for the libs. What does it matter If i provide you proof? you will still deny it either way. Its a waste of my time.

really? one of the directors of the oil-for-food program (he resigned well before any scandal because of he viewed the program as grossly inadequate and unfairly punishing the iraqi civilians) said there was constant intermarriage in iraq under and prior to saddam between shiites and sunnis. his name is claus something, i forgot it now. he lived there for over a year, he didn't see sectarian conflict under saddam.

got anything to back up the claim that the two groups haven't gotten along?

I dont give a # if you believe me or not. This site isnt my life like it is yours. I have no reputation to uphold to a bunch of internet nerds. So flip off!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ask yourself this. Why do the sunnis and shiites kill one another today? How about the sunnis going around and rounding up iraqis who have shiite names and killing them?

you cant be serious in thinking that this wasnt brewing under saddam. More then likely you wouldnt have heard about it while saddam was still in power. your only kidding yourself.

[edit on 103030p://2604pm by semperfoo]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Does the Liberal media sound better? And I disagree with you, the media has a bias to it when it comes to reporting certain events that paint the right in a darker picture.

i doubt that's a political bias, it's more of a "this will make us more money" bias

And Im not alone in thinking this. It seems that the majority of the american public agrees with me.
Zogby Poll: Voters Believe Media Bias is Very Real
www.zogby.com...

truth isn't democratic. just because people BELIEVE in media bias, doesn't make it real

Your opinion is not fact.

that isn't my opinion, centcom assigns reporters when they are embedded, and that's the only way they can get around any part of iraq besides baghdad.

then thats your problem. I for one am happy for the individual iraqi that can got to malls and market place without having to worry about a suicide bomber killing them. There country is starting to improve. I, unlike you, can look at that as a positive thing. I think the average Iraqi would to. And I take it your basing the civilian death claims on the UNs official numbers? You do know that they do not differentiate between enemy combatants and individual iraqis which makes those numbers inaccurate.

the US doesn't differentiate between innocent civilians and property damage

how about the iraq body count website? those numbers are taken directly from reports of specific civilians being killed. JUST reports in the media, not all the actual deaths 60480 is the low estimate on the site, 66383 is the high one.

Marines? All the marines I have talked to believe in what they are doing. If they didnt they wouldnt be over there.

well, if you become disillusioned in a war you're fighting in, you don't really have a choice of what to do.

marines can't just quit

And higly disappointed how? The guys I know are highly disappointed with alot of the American public/media.

by the shoddy job of planning, the idea that a troop surge will work, and the general mismanagement of the war

your annoying.

my annoying what?

you yourself are a liberal so you wont see the difference do to your bias for the libs. What does it matter If i provide you proof? you will still deny it either way. Its a waste of my time.

actually, i'm a leftist, not a liberal. it's a different thing

unlike certain people, i'm the type of person that basis my positions on actual evidence. i look at facts and make my determination. so far i've found that the media is either in the center or slightly right of center.

I dont give a # if you believe me or not. This site isnt my life like it is yours. I have no reputation to uphold to a bunch of internet nerds. So flip off!

so instead of backing it up you: used an expletive, said this site is my life (it's more of an outlet, btw), called the community a bunch of nerds, and told me to flip off

this is the typical neanderthalic response i expect from people that can't back up the claims of a "liberal bias" in the media

Ask yourself this. Why do the sunnis and shiites kill one another today?

i don't know, ask Hans von Sponeck (that's his name)

How about the sunnis going around and rounding up iraqis who have shiite names and killing them?

"shiite names"
yeah, you clearly don't understand the problems in iraq

you cant be serious in thinking that this wasnt brewing under saddam. More then likely you wouldnt have heard about it while saddam was still in power. your only kidding yourself.

well, there were intermarriages, that says a hell of a lot about the situation. my source, Hans von Sponeck (look him up if you want) has firsthand experience with iraq, he knows that the conflict wasn't there until we came in.

sure, it existed in the same way that the conflict between protestants and catholics exists in many parts of the world (excluding those violent areas in ireland), but that was how it was.

[edit on 4/5/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Lets agree to disagree. Firstly no one knows the situation on the ground better then the troops. And I agree that the Iraq war was not well planned. But the marines job is to improvise and adapt to there surroundings. Thats just the life of a marine. They know it and they dont bitch about it.

If you dont think the media tilts to the left thats your prob. I guess to each there own. In some cases it evens out. But MOST cases that isnt the way it is. And the majority of the public agrees with me. So I think theres more to it if more and more ppl are seeing the same sort of media bias.

Look Im sure you a cool dude, but it just seems that ppl around here cannot take good news when presented with it. Its always gotta be doom and gloom. Anything that is considered to be 'good news' is usually criticized as being 'biased news'. Its just sick. I know life isnt filled with puffy clouds and lolly pops, but crap, it isnt that bad.

new topics

top topics

join