It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H2H: Looking To Debate? This Is Your One Stop Shop

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As your newly appointed FSME for the Head 2 Head Political Debate Forum, I feel it is imperative that we spread the word about this tremendous untapped resource. We've only had a couple debates so far, so we are certainly looking to get some members involved here.

So let's get down to it.

I want to debate... but I need an opponent!

No worries! That is exactly what this thread is for. Members can stop by with a short message explaining a few subjects what it is they are looking to debate. With any luck, another member will come along and say, "Hey! Let's Do It!" I'm ever the optimist so I strongly feel that this will all work out. If by some stroke of luck we don't find you a match, I'll work some magic and find you an opponent. I tend to browse most of the threads on Above Top Secret, so I believe I would be able to find you an opponent with little effort.

I want to debate... but I don't have a topic!

Again, no worries. We are looking for able bodies who want to lace up the mitts and do battle in the H2H Ring. If you know you want to debate, reply to this thread. We'll throw some ideas back and forth and find something that is of interest to you. With a membership as large as Above Top Secret, I have little fear that we can not find a member that shares your passion for a subject, and is in disagreement.

Well, What are the rules?

Rules? Rules? There are no stinking rules! Ok, well that's a fib. The Terms & Conditions Of Use do apply here, as they do with any other post you submit to Above Top Secret. However, we are open minded here and we are more than willing to allow members to "duke it out".

H2H Debating Rules

1. Any violation of the terms of a debate will result in a forfeiture.

2. Debate posts may not be edited by participants for any reason.

3. Any participant may voluntarily forfeit at any time.

4. Forfeitures are final. If you want a rematch, start a new debate thread.

5. Only agreed-upon participants may post to a debate thread.

6. Disruption by non-participants in debate threads, T&C violations or failure to cooperate with the H2H staff may result in loss of Fighter status.

7. AP/H2H staff may take action as they see fit to maintain proper H2H forum operation.

8. As with all forums, the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use apply.

9. Any edit of a post, after submitted, will result in the reply being deleted.

Well, Limitations? Restrictions?

The beauty of the H2H ring is that, it is your ring. If you want to switch the rules around, go for it. We have etched out a few to help structure members, but feel free to do as you wish.

Here is a rough outline of what we expect from members, but again, we are more than willing to work hand in hand with you.

1. Participants agree on a topic and who goes first.

2. Participants will take turns, and each will contribute three posts total:
    a. Opening statement.

b. Rebuttal.

c. Closing statement.

3. Posts may not contain links and may not be over 10,000 characters long.

4. No more than 24 hours may elapse between each post.

5. Once the last participant posts a closing statement, the debate is over.

While we like to keep the debates moving along, the 24 hour time frame can certainly be worked with.

So there you have it. If you have any questions, feel free to u2u me at any time.

Looking forward to seeing our members doing battle in the H2H Ring.

[edit on 4/3/2007 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
NOW YOUR TALKING!!!!

Let's get this ball rolling!!!!!

Looking to debate on any topic....

Here are my preferences...
(though I will debate on any topic)

1. Military (Current events or historical)

2. Police (Anything)

3. Narcotics

4. Social Issues of any kind

So, Feelin Luckin?
Well are ya?

Bring it on...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I await my victim's

Semper

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
For the sake of allowing everyone to post in this thread, I'm going to move it to the BBQ Forum which will help garner support. I've received a few u2u's about members attempting to reply with no success, as you need to the Fighter status to post in this thread.

Anyone who participates in a H2H Debate will be rewarded the fighter status, but for the time being, this thread will be moved to the BBQ Forum so nobody is kept on the outside looking in.

semper, way to get the ball rolling mate. I'm sure we can pair you up and get one going asap.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
"Posts may not contain links"

So it's just opinion?

Why no outside quoting? Can you still use books, etc?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Well, that is a guideline of the debate. But in every debate so far, links were used. The members who participate can decide on each and every rule that they prefer. Once we have two members lined up, I would ask that they contact one another via u2u and decide on exactly what they want. Once you know what you want, you get what you want.

So any rule that you see here, it is not etched in stone.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I think that links would be OK as long as they were limited to say, one per post or two.....

A debate is between two individuals, not two seperate sources of research material....

I think it is perfectly fine to reference research material within the post itself, as long as the poster remembers that in doing so they are taking up precious, limited space in their debate...

Semper

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'll volunteer for a debate. I'm sure there's got to be atleast one person out there who would like to test my mettle.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I know that Im kind of new but I would like to test my debating skills.

Social or Political issues preferred...

or the legalization of certian drugs...

[edit on 4/4/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the move Chissler!

Id like to throw in the hat for my chance to debate ..

I will debate on the following topics:

Israel (pro)

Middle East in general

Middle East politics

Anything history related

Masonry (pro)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I would love to see you two go at it in the squared circle. Why not contact one another via u2u and settle on something? We've got two staff members that are lacing the mitts as we speak, and we may see a real hum dinger in the immediate future. It will be great to see a few debates up and running. Get some practice in for when we see the next debate tournament.

Justin, do you have anything specific you are looking to discuss? The same question to you ImpliedChaos. If we can throw out some ideas here, finding an opponent will be much easier.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
U2U is sent..

All thats left is to find something we don't agree on, I think we are both more on the conservative side..

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm sure you guys will manage.

You know where to find me.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm always willing to have a debate. I'm pretty conservative, and am not afraid to take on very serious issues. Nor am I afraid to go out on a limb with beliefs which are not shared by the majority.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Justin, do you have anything specific you are looking to discuss? The same question to you ImpliedChaos. If we can throw out some ideas here, finding an opponent will be much easier.

Everybody knows what my specialties are. I've heard from some who say they disagrew with me, but they like to read my stuff. I'd be a bad Conspiracy Master if I didn't give 'em a chance to take me to school.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I cant really think of any topics at the moment. I know that I have alot of social and poltical interest. I wish there was a master list of topics that could help me. Anyways i'll be back when i come up with something.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Contract Debates: Have It Your Way

The beauty of Head-2-Head is the fact that you can customize the rules to your liking.

"Contract Debates" may have some practical limitations that we haven't found yet, but pretty much anything the participants agree on is fair game.

Basically, if you and your opponent(s) agree on a debate format and the staff goes along with it, you're golden.

For A Limited Time

Also worth noting: until further notice, all successfully-completed H2H debates will automatically be entered in the H2H Debate Contest, which features some cool (but as yet unannounced) prizes.

I had originally specified a time limit for entry, but with everything else going on, we didn't get enough entries. So I'm basically waiting until we get plenty of entries to choose from, then we can start handing out the goodies.

All members -- including staff -- are eligible to win, and prizes will be awarded for the best debate thread, which means all participants in that thread win, regardless of who may be thought to have won or lost the argument.

So if you like the idea of debating an issue your way, Head-2-Head just might be the forum you're looking for.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Semperfortis and others I would be open to debate that deals with World War Two military history. Send me a U2U or post any ideas on this thread.
Cheers xpert11.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'd love to argue about a few subjects:

- Whether conspiracy theories that haven't came true are disinformation
I'd like to talk about the flat earth society
- Debate with me on religion not on any specific part of it but of the idea of religion. I am jewish and Christian so I won't be offended by anything!
Whether Al-quaeda exists or not
- That Osama Bin Laden may not be responsible for 9-11. I still have a washington post article that dates back from the next day that says "IRAN BLAMES OSAMA BIN LADEN THROUGH CLOSED DOORS" and I think that many people missed out on that article and may have thought the U.S did it when Iran was the first one to do it.
- The New World Order

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ohh ohh! Pick me!
I've always wanted to have a debate, but never knew where to start.

I'm happy to debate pretty much anything. Just not politics or religion. Okay, that takes off 99.9% of the topics, but anyway . . . someone send me a U2U!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
When responding to this thread, be sure to read the posts of your fellow members. Someone may have already chimed in on an issue that is of interest to you, and a debate may be ready to take life.

I know our friendly Super Her..Moderator Majic is ready to dish some points out to those who lace 'em up for a great debate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join