It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Breaks World Record Rail Speed 357.2 MPH!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Is this practical, is this feasible for commercial use?
I don't know but a world record is a world record...

French set rail speed record

ABOARD TRAIN V150, France — The speedometer climbed higher and higher — and so did my heart rate. Inside the last of three double-decker cars sandwiched between two engines, those of us aboard the French bullet train trying to set the speed record on conventional rails watched the digital numbers flash on a screen in kilometers per hour: 400, 450, 500, 550.

Looking out the windows, the French countryside became a green blur.

Then the magic number appeared: 547.8 kph, or 357.2 mph — faster than any humans had ever traveled in a train on rails. As fast as an airplane, but on the ground.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Good on the Frogs

Let's see what the Japanese do......

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

The French TGV (Train à Grande Vitesse) is the fastest conventional train in the world, using powered metal wheels riding on metal rails. In April 2007 it was reported that the TGV had broken its own 1990 record with a new speed of 574.8 km/h (357.18 mph) under test conditions with a shortened train (two power cars and three passenger cars).

it's 574 not 547 km/h

and yes japanese maglev is faster, but it's not a "conventionnal" train.

The Japanese JR-Maglev is the fastest non-conventional train in the world, having achieved 581 km/h (361 mph) on a magnetic-levitation track. Unmanned rocket sleds that ride on rails have reached over 10,400 km/h (6,462 mph), equivalent to Mach 8.5.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This doesnt seem very feasible to me. Unlike an airplane what would happen if something got on the tracks such as an animal? I suppose if you were able to keep the tracks clear, and kept them in good repair than this could become and usefull meens of transportation.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sambo5us
This doesnt seem very feasible to me. Unlike an airplane what would happen if something got on the tracks such as an animal? I suppose if you were able to keep the tracks clear, and kept them in good repair than this could become and usefull meens of transportation.

It already is a "usefull meens of transportation".

TGV has been inservice for donkeys.. They have just made some upgrades and were testing it. If you read reports about it, you'll see that under normal working conditions, it will do only 199 MPH.

This does drastically cut travel times into central France. for example, now, London to the Champagne region would take 5 hrs, with the upgrades, it is now 3 (when the High Speed Rail Link is finished in the UK).

This is in direct competition with the airlines for travel time, but without the hassle of airports, boarding etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sambo5us

The TGV has more than 25 years.

One of the ideas of breaking the record was to show it to some of the guests from the US who are looking for high speed trains to use in the USA.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
574Km/h?

I didnt realise just how fast those cheese-eating surrender-monkeys could run away!

top topics

join