It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for the Brits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 09:11 PM
link   
As a United States Fire Fighter..i am wondering .....There is no law that keeps your Firemen from totally leaving the stations empty..i was unfortunate to be involved in 1 strike..and we still had to keep the staitions manned..Just a question ..this is not political or any thing else..just one Fireman to another if any out there..I know you guys and gals have to hate leaving the staions empty..i wish you all a kick resolve..and Good Luck

Boomslang..

Firefighter/EMT-B

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 11:17 PM
link   
We really don't have that sort of framework of legislation, Boomslang. Things like zapping recalcitrant air-traffic controllers, or invoking Taft-Hartley to ease port disputes are not possible outside the Armed Services and the police. Even then, it would be a matter of existing contracts not of new legislation.
Much of this is to be attributed to the history of British Trades Unionism -very different from that in the USA, and the fact that one of our two main parties, historically at least, wa the party of the Trades Unions.
Union conflict in the UK has always been a political issue ( nothing like teamsters, Jimmy Hoffa, violent strike-breaking at Ford plants, Joe Hill etc.)
As for this strike -the firemen are the tip of the ice-berg. Mrs Thatcher began a process of reining in the Unions -they not unreasonably- expected "New Labour" to reverse at least some of this.
It isn't happening and won't while Blair is there: it's really a battle about what the Labour party actually is in 2002.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I am truly sorry..as i know that Any fire fighter does his job for the love of it..not the pay..but with that said..one still has to keep his family supported..I am amazed that they British goverment would not have a some sort of safety net set up..as its the general public that will suffer in the end..as it is usely is!

Boomslang

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My brother is a fireman and I have told him that I think his unions behaviour is irresponsible.When inflation is running at around 2% no government is going to give anybody a 40% payrise and they have a pretty good deal already considering a)how much work they actually do.b)how many people would gladly do their job for the money they are already on/For every 1 fireman 40 have applied.It took my brother 3 attempts to get in.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 01:28 PM
link   
JohnBull i take offense to your commint "How much work they actually do" tell you have done the job please refrain form making such judgements!

On the other side..i find must Unions distasteful at best!

Boomslang

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Boomslang.You have already admitted that you do not know anything about the UK firemens working practices.I would not dare comment on US Firemen as I know nothing about it.
However the working arrangements of the UK firemen haven't changed in 25 years.They are paid when they sleep,play computer games,play snooker.They work 4 days on and then have 4 days off.In which time they do cash in hand work.
Perhaps before you get indignant with me for having the temerity to point out that Firemen in Britain(including my own brother)have better working conditions than most of us you should take the time to acquaint yourself with the situation.Their conditions were worked out at a time when Unions dictated to government and those conditions haven't changed in 25 years.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 03:54 PM
link   
They work a 96 hour shift..Holy crap they should be on strike..

We work 24 on 48 off and we get payed the whole 24 hours as well ..I think that if the UK firefighter is subjected to a 96 hour shift i support them in there strike..that is insane!!

Boomslang

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 05:12 PM
link   
No UK fire work a maximum 45/43?hour week.Look I will find out exactly what the working condition are for you tomorrow.
I would say though that in Paris and Marseille the fire service is part of the armed service and if this union militancy which we are starting to see a rise of again here continues we could end up going along the same lines.These people earn over �23,000 a year more in London plus the jobs that they do on the side.A 40% payrise is ridiculous and when they plead poverty it is an insult to others like nurses who are only on �17,000 a year.If the gov give in on this then it will reward this behaviour and experience has taught us that in this country it can lead to economic disaster.I know the firemen are worth more but it could put this country back 30 years and I for one don't want to go back to rubbish on the streets,power cuts,out of control inflation,and high unemployment.And yes believe it or not something like this could lead to all of that.How do I know?Because it's happened before all the way through the 1970's culminating in 1978.

If I've been a bit ratty forgive me.I'm just a little tired ,and so a little careless with what I post.

posted on Nov, 25 2002 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i found a forum on UK Fire fighters and posted a few questions..i am a 11 year vet of the fire service and i make more then your Battilion Camanders..or Brigades as they are called..i make roughly 28,000 pounds a year..compared to there 22,000...and they do not work 24 hour shifts..according to the genltemen that responded they work 2 nine hour days and 2 nine hour nights.

I also found out that yes they are responding to your 999 calls..even though they are no longer covered by the insurance!

And your nurese need a rasie as well...

Boomslang

[Edited on 25-11-2002 by Boomslang]

new topics

top topics

join