It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Alas, just the other day I was riding my bike.
Riding through Perth City, it was a sunny day. Just soaking up the air, listening to tunes I was ruding through the main thoroghfare.

When, the crowed all of a sudden parted... and 3 policeman on bikes convereged on me.. they didnt slowly stop me, or flag me down.

They came full pelt straight at me, threw the brakes on and surrounded me.

Why?

I wasnt wearing a helmet.

The first copper say

'' What are you doing, riding on the path? ''

In shock I shot back

'' What are you THREE doing, riding on the path ''

Stunned, he replies

'' where's your helmet ''

'' Its at work, im heading there right now to get it. ( obviously a lie ) ''

'' Well mate, thats a $50 fine, do you have any ID ''

I frowned, and asked in a calm voice

'' No I dont, but Can I ask sir, Being its MY head id be damaging, and not wearing a helmet doesnt hurt/injure or bother ANYONE around me, why is it i do not have the choice myself too wear one or not. Why are you giving me a fine, when its my own body id be injuring ''

Annoyed the copper shot back

'' Well who do you think pays for your hospital bills? ''

'' Well, my insurance ''

'' Well who cleans you up off the side of the road? ''

'' So, your giving me a $50 fine, because in the event i fall of my bike, someone is going to have to clean what ever mess i make on the footpath ''

The big burley copper, clearly not happy jumps off his bike and gets right in my face

'' Im going to look in your backpack, and If I happen to find any ID, im going to arrest you ''

A little thrown, I said

'' jee's, orite let me check and see if I do have it ''

I hand him my wallet, which I knew I had the whole time

'' OK mate, here's your fine, and If I see you riding around without your helmet again, Ill be arresting you ''

What a Jip, 3 coppers couldnt give me a reasonable answer as to why not wearing a helmet merrits a $50 fine. Instaed, they threaten to ARREST me, simply because I spoke my mind.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
wouldn't it have been illegal for him to go through your backpack?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well, being i knew the whole time I Did have ID, I was really going to test that little threat...

Being I broke the law ' the helmet law ' could he of had a right to search my bag?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well... I kinda look at it like this.

Cops are like Soldiers. They don't get to decide policy, their job is to enforce it. Many cops have to enforce laws they disagree with, just as many soldiers have to fight wars they disagree with. If cops had the the legal right to decide the law on the fly, that would end up combining the executive and legislative branch, which is bad news.

Rather than get mad at the cops, and give them a hard time for doing their job, why don't you instead lobby to have the helmet law revoked?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Rule of Thumb- Nevernevernever argue with a police officer who's in the process of doing his/her job. You will not win. Be polite and pleasant and maybe even a little sorry. "Sorry officer. You're right and I'll be more careful from now on. Thank you."

I've gotten out of a half dozen tickets in my life that way. The latest was about two months ago when I was coming back from dropping off some rented movies. The light on my license plate was out (which is a $200 ticket in that jurisdiction). I can guarantee had I given the guy any attitude, he'd have cited me.

Or, argue away and get the ticket and sometimes worse. Is it worth it? Not with my bank account, it ain't.

[Edit for typo]

[edit on 4/3/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah usually im pretty laid back..
But he reached and started writing the ticket before the first question was even asked, so i knew i was getting it anyways.

I Still think a policeman should be able to explain the reasons behind a law.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

That's understandable, but I disagree. The local legislature needs to explain the reason behind the law. The police aren't there for interpretation or explanation, they're there for enforcement.

IMO.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yeah usually im pretty laid back..
But he reached and started writing the ticket before the first question was even asked, so i knew i was getting it anyways.

In a lot of places, they issue "written warnings". Much like yeahright, I've gotten out of at least half a dozen tickets just by saying "yes, sir, no sir, sorry sir".

To be fair though, I've been pulled over for some pretty stupid stuff. Back in high school, I used to drink caffeine free Coke, which came in a gold can (so I can kinda understand the first part of this). Anyway, I'm driving down the road, and a cop pulls me over and says "What're you drinkin', boy?"

I held up the can for him and helpfully replied, "Caffeine Free Coke, officer."

To which he took the can, sniffed it, took a sip, then walked back to his cruiser, and drove away without another word. I was kinda pissed off that he stole my drink, but considering it was mostly backwash at that point anyway, I reckoned I got off cheap.

In principle, I agree, but in practice, they have so much crap to memorize you'd be amazed. We already put a pretty insane demand on their resources, while simultaneously reviling them and cutting their budgets at the same time. For instance, in a life-threatening event, despite the fact there is only a fraction of a second to decide, a cop must mentally go through several books worth of checklists to try and ensure that taking a shot is justified, shoot to incapacitate only, and that he doesn't lose his job in the process, and even if all the checklists turn out right, he's still going to end up investigated by IA and almost certainly sued.

That said, there's a lot of jerks out there who get a badge and think they've grown a foot long johnson, and they'll bully anyone they can, to any extent, engage in extortion, and are sometimes worse than criminals. It is important to remember though that it is the person, and not the badge, that exhibits dishonor.

Still, giving you a $50 ticket for not wearing a helmet is pretty lame.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Cops ~

Too much power
+
too much time on their hands
=
the public gets screwed constantly

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I feel your pain, but agree you shouldn't argue with a police officer, it will only make matters worse.

I think the community would be better served, however, if they spent their time enforcing other pressing matters than a bloke on a bike minding his own business.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Officers are there for one reason and one reason only to protect us. It’s not there job to say “O” I will let this guy go and say I think I will pull this one over.

No they are suppose to follow the same rules for every one. If you don’t like the rule it’s time to get into politics write the correct officials about it. Change the laws.

When your getting pulled over you not on the “ATS” your not playing some game. It’s real. The officer’s don’t like being question. They have no clue who you are and what you are thinking.

Tempers can flare and things can get out of hand and before you know it you have another officer who has been shot and killed.

If it helps think of the person you love the most in your life and say , “ if this was my grandmother, mother, sister, brother, someone you really love and respect how would you treat them.” Being real you must respect the authority over you. Whether you like it or not.

Remember the officer has a family that loves him or her and puts their life on the line daily to save ours.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, I dont like cops in general, I am sure they do a lot of good in the world, but I dont hear about it that often, but still, you should wear your helmet, you should ALWAYS wear your helmet, you want me to take a picture of a scar on my head from when I didnt wear a helmet, its a stupid thing you get a $50 fine, but a helmet has saved my life more then once.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So .... you broke the law and lied to the police, and yet you are mad at the police because they caught you breaking the law and telling lies to them. It's all their fault, eh?
Oh .. that makes sense.

Think what you like, but they are NOT lawyers and don't have to explain anything. They are just there to enforce the law.

[edit on 4/29/2007 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

join