It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brits are enjoying their stay in Iran

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
Where is Gitmo last time i looked it was in USA is it not and not in UK is it?

Why are people comparing these are BRIT military not USA military there is a differance.

Because us BRITS were/are compliant with Gitmo and the US torture flights. Hell, we even let them stop off in our country. Not really hard to follow. Still, if u want to paint the UK as whiter than white...

edit: grammar

[edit on 3-4-2007 by john_bmth]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
All this shows me is that the Brits are making the best of a crappy situation.

They are allowed the company of each other luckily (or as least it appears that way even if it's just for the odd photo), and of course they'll be happier and look less stressed than if they were isolated.

True.

Still the hell a majority of the uncharged detainees in Iraq lived through didn't even allow them the option of "making the best" of anything. The Red Cross claimed at one point that over 70% of the prisoners we had were innocent and uncharged. Yet still they were stuck in a miserable hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. These Brits aren't even close to that so people need to give it a rest.

Unless someone does something silly, I think they'll be returned in the same condition they were taken. Only with haven gotten a little time off from the military.

Not exactly R&R to be sure, but still...definitely not Abu Ghraib or GITMO.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by lee anoma]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
And when they are returned and tell how horribly they were acutally treated you all will call them liers.

This is another agmonst a long list of troll treads that are being allowed more and more on this site.

Is ATS's motto still 'Deny Ignorance'?......doesn't look like it.......

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
And when they are returned and tell how horribly they were acutally treated you all will call them liers.

If they were sent to Gitmo we wouldn't be hearing about them. Period. 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Its NOT "us good, them bad". I find it incredibly hypocritical when people cry of the "moral outrage"

[edit on 3-4-2007 by john_bmth]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

This is another agmonst a long list of troll treads that are being allowed more and more on this site.

How do you know what they will say in terms of their treatment (assuming that they have been coerced into what they have said already) let alone what I will say about it? That's pretty presumptuous of you.

I'm not saying they are having the best of times. They are detained.

I'm saying they are not being horribly mistreated. Some of the accounts we've heard from released military files as well as accounts by prisoners from GITMO that WERE innocent and released make THIS detainment look like light fare. So far I haven't seen any indication of abuse.

They look a lot better than this guy wouldn't you agree?

Wonder what he did to end up this way?
According to the precentages...it's more likely he did nothing at all.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
With high-power political stakes at hand regarding the hostage situation, I can however, see a civilised light at the end of the tunnel...Iranians are fellow tea-drinkers, and on the basis of such cultured choice of national refreshment, we should invite Mr. Adhaminajad over for a cordial chat over a china-cup of Earl Grey at No.10 and have the whole unfortunate episode wrapped up just in time for 'The Archers'

PS: I also understand that Mrs. Adhaminajad makes a delightful Victoria Sponge

toodle-pip!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I have to agree with you. This thread with all the fancy pictures appears to be part of an disinformation campaign. MEMRI reported supporters are being placing on websites just to spread disinformation. perhaps it is part of it. Who knows. One thing I know is I am not buying what their trying to sell it is all pure propaganda.

[edit on 4/3/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
They are HOSTAGES, they are miserable and you should be too untill this is resolved.THEY represent you and me and the future of our independence and freedom. What happens to them happens to you.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
With high-power political stakes at hand regarding the hostage situation, I can however, see a civilised light at the end of the tunnel...Iranians are fellow tea-drinkers, and on the basis of such cultured choice of national refreshment, we should invite Mr. Adhaminajad over for a cordial chat over a china-cup of Earl Grey at No.10 and have the whole unfortunate episode wrapped up just in time for 'The Archers'

PS: I also understand that Mrs. Adhaminajad makes a delightful Victoria Sponge

toodle-pip!

You have voted citizen smith for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Right on dude that has got to be the most funniest comments I have read on this forum so far today...

Nice way to break the tensions on a hotly debated topic

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PisTonZOR

Actually, the majority of American people opposed the torture of the Prisoners of War.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by PisTonZOR]

great, so there should not be any torture if you are correct...

but there is!

...as for my spelling it is so typically arrogant to think that everyone on this planet should speak and type english fluently...

funny thing is that all you see is hate when one is pointing to the truth... no one can see the irony in my words... yes, I generalize, but your governmentS (yes, there are more then one government in western countries - pathetic, you can`t comprehend even that) generalize too... and you voted for them...

some people must learn the hard way - you reap what you saw, and that is hard to except - that your Nemesis, Iranians treat their prisoners like decent human beings, unlike your free, democratic governmentS do!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
and here is what one famous Brit says about all this:

Terry Jones
Saturday March 31, 2007
The Guardian

I share the outrage expressed in the British press over the treatment of our naval personnel accused by Iran of illegally entering their waters. It is a disgrace. We would never dream of treating captives like this - allowing them to smoke cigarettes, for example, even though it has been proven that smoking kills. And as for compelling poor servicewoman Faye Turney to wear a black headscarf, and then allowing the picture to be posted around the world - have the Iranians no concept of civilised behaviour? For God's sake, what's wrong with putting a bag over her head? That's what we do with the Muslims we capture: we put bags over their heads, so it's hard to breathe. Then it's perfectly acceptable to take photographs of them and circulate them to the press because the captives can't be recognised and humiliated in the way these unfortunate British service people are.

It is also unacceptable that these British captives should be made to talk on television and say things that they may regret later. If the Iranians put duct tape over their mouths, like we do to our captives, they wouldn't be able to talk at all. Of course they'd probably find it even harder to breathe - especially with a bag over their head - but at least they wouldn't be humiliated.
And what's all this about allowing the captives to write letters home saying they are all right? It's time the Iranians fell into line with the rest of the civilised world: they should allow their captives the privacy of solitary confinement. That's one of the many privileges the US grants to its captives in Guantánamo Bay.

The true mark of a civilised country is that it doesn't rush into charging people whom it has arbitrarily arrested in places it's just invaded. The inmates of Guantánamo, for example, have been enjoying all the privacy they want for almost five years, and the first inmate has only just been charged. What a contrast to the disgraceful Iranian rush to parade their captives before the cameras!

What's more, it is clear that the Iranians are not giving their British prisoners any decent physical exercise. The US military make sure that their Iraqi captives enjoy PT. This takes the form of exciting "stress positions", which the captives are expected to hold for hours on end so as to improve their stomach and calf muscles. A common exercise is where they are made to stand on the balls of their feet and then squat so that their thighs are parallel to the ground. This creates intense pain and, finally, muscle failure. It's all good healthy fun and has the bonus that the captives will confess to anything to get out of it.

And this brings me to my final point. It is clear from her TV appearance that servicewoman Turney has been put under pressure. The newspapers have persuaded behavioural psychologists to examine the footage and they all conclude that she is "unhappy and stressed".

What is so appalling is the underhand way in which the Iranians have got her "unhappy and stressed". She shows no signs of electrocution or burn marks and there are no signs of beating on her face. This is unacceptable. If captives are to be put under duress, such as by forcing them into compromising sexual positions, or having electric shocks to their genitals, they should be photographed, as they were in Abu Ghraib. The photographs should then be circulated around the civilised world so that everyone can see exactly what has been going on.

As Stephen Glover pointed out in the Daily Mail, perhaps it would not be right to bomb Iran in retaliation for the humiliation of our servicemen, but clearly the Iranian people must be made to suffer - whether by beefing up sanctions, as the Mail suggests, or simply by getting President Bush to hurry up and invade, as he intends to anyway, and bring democracy and western values to the country, as he has in Iraq.

Terry Jones

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
is Terry Jones spreading hate too?...

is he generalizing when he says `we` too?

[edit on 3-4-2007 by untilted]

[edit on 3-4-2007 by untilted]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

[MEMRI reported supporters are being placing on websites just to spread disinformation. perhaps it is part of it.

Supporters of what?

I don't support kidnapping, hostage-taking or civil/human-rights abuse. Period.

That belief cuts across ALL borders and I hold my country under higher scrutiny because of what it claims to represent.
So no, I don't support hostage taking...but so far this isn't hostage-taking to me.

If so, then what's the ransom or purpose?

What's the difference between these detainees and the ones we have?

Could they actually have strayed into Iranian waters and just be detainees?

What's this "outrage" people have over the photos about?

If they wanted to abuse them...why hide it so well when we'd just find out later?

Those are questions I'd like to have legitimate answers for.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by lee anoma]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is what Iran show to us. Soldiers may be threathened but they are not going to show this on the TV. Also, why is the only girl of the group need to cover her hair? I'm pretty sure that the soldiers are not in a good shape. I'ts called disinformation. Showing that Iran is great and UK is the devil.... I will see when they are going to be released what will be the real story.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If we are going to start making comparison as to how generous we are with the Iranians on treatment of prisoners in hopes of placating the public...

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by untilted
and here is what one famous Brit says about all this:

Terry Jones
Saturday March 31, 2007
The Guardian

I share the outrage expressed in the British press over the treatment of our naval personnel accused by Iran of illegally entering their waters. It is a disgrace. We would never dream of treating captives like this - allowing them to smoke cigarettes, for example, even though it has been proven that smoking kills. And as for compelling poor servicewoman Faye Turney to wear a black headscarf...

Wow he nailed it exactly.

I'm sure Mr. Jones doesn't wish the sailors harm and hopes for their safe return, but the screams of "outrage" and "disgrace" seem a bit melodramatic.

Especially when we know and have seen how bad detainees can be treated.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Id almost laugh, except for the fact that the original poster and some others on this thread actually believe this.

I thought only people living in caves and trailer parks are guillable enough to actually believe anything on TV or in a picture that was most likely taken for propogandist purposes?

Learn something new each day.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Id almost laugh, except for the fact that the original poster and some others on this thread actually believe this.

I thought only people living in caves and trailer parks are guillable enough to actually believe anything on TV or in a picture that was most likely taken for propogandist purposes?

Learn something new each day.

so, you are saying that those torture bruises and wounds are photoshopped?...

funny...

yes it is propaganda and very good one... and I wonder what is happening to those Iranians citizens abducted recently by western agents...?

oh, I bet they are treated well... civilized...

/sarcasm off

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Quite a contrast between how the Iranians are treating their prisoners and how the US treats theirs in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay. Who won the chess game? I might challenge him!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
Quite a contrast between how the Iranians are treating their prisoners and how the US treats theirs in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay. Who won the chess game? I might challenge him!

I think White bankrolled a bunch of Black dissident pawns to rally a castle and 2 knights to their cause in order to overthrow the Black king in a military coup. Check mate in 5 I tell you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join