It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Rival Breaks Syria Boycott

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thanks for putting some clarity to HS Pelosi's list of do/do nots djohnsto77.

I suppose my question is why is she looking at Syria for discussion? What is the big banana there which may/may not connect the mid-east dots? Anyone with any ideas?

Paying attention to Mrs Pelosi since becoming House Leader has been a sometimes mystery and at other times a joy. Seems to me HS Pelosi does not speak all that often..but when she does she speaks firmly with a clear message, eg Pres Bush's little 'sit-down, relax and btw this isn't the same Congress.. (paraphrasing)

Dalllas

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
[ HOW DARE PELOSI TRY TO MAKE PEACE!!

She's there stroking her own ego and rubbing Bush's face in muck. She's there taunting Bush .. knowing that the terrorist in charge of Syria will do just about anything she wants because he knows Pelosi is at odds with Bush and - the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

She's there for many reasons .... NONE of them are to make peace.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I agree with djohston and Azaleous. She has every right to go there both as an individual and as a member of congress and as a representative of the United States.

The government is composed of three separate and equal branches and despite bush minor's assertions to the contrary, his is not the sole representative of it.

The prime example of this is that the bush administration for all intent and purpose would be a minority government under the parliamentary system thanks to the Nov. elections, representing a minority viewpoint, that of supporting a very unpopular war and as such would be unable to do much without consensus from the majority, which in my opinion is how it should be. Under that system madam Speaker would have every right to hold talks with the Syrians, or the Iranians for that matter.

That is not how our system works however make no mistake despite all the fury and bluster from the bush White House about her actions, they will be throughly briefed upon her return just as they were briefed when the Republican colleagues returned and just as they are always throughly briefed when any member of government goes abroad.

BTW there is a long and honorable tradition here in the United States of the private individual diplomatic effort most recently seen during the attempts to free American hostages during the Lebanese civil war of the 1980's. It didn't work and the negotiators were taken hostage as well but it was still a private effort.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by grover]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azazelus
Again, you step out of line and detract from the topic at hand to political mudsling...

Nope. She's a flake. Pure and simple. I met her once.
Had to look at that stepford face for a whole hour. It never once moved from it's chisseled in fake smile. She's a total whack.

There are other flakes out there .... Bob Dole for example. He is still a war hero, but now he's a flake too.

See ... nothing partisan about it. A flake is a flake. Both major parties have 'em.

She's a flake.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
" She's there stroking her own ego and rubbing Bush's face in muck"...

In part perhaps. Perhaps's HS Pelosi knows something not privy to everyday US Citizens or US neighbors to north and south?

Perhap's HS Pelosi doesn't trust and/or believe the President otUS and needs to enact the late President Reagan's"Trust but Confirm" Administration policies in foreign relations?
Perhap's HS Pelosi's scared to death for her offspring's long term survival.

As an outsider (North of the 39th parallel), I trust what's She's doing though as I mentioned earlier -- I'm not sure of the factual questions on HS Pelosi's possible mid-east fact finding mission.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzazelusIf the supposed "correct people" aren't doing their jobs to promote peace and a good view of the United States, well then, someone needs to....

I wish to point out that the "job" of the "correct people" is not to promote peace and a good view of the United States.

The job of the President and Commander in Chief is to use all his powers to ensure the security, and to protect the interests of the United States, and all it's citizens.

It is going to take a whole lot more of this to correct the damage done by this administration to the overall worldly view of the country I call home...

People should worry less about how others view them, and more about what others want to do to them.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
She is not trying to make peace, she is showing that she can do what she wants, when she wants and no one can tell her different. So, Pelosi can employ this attitude, but our own president cannot? Delusional thinking people.

She may be 3rd in line, but she is not yet the president.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
She is not trying to make peace, she is showing that she can do what she wants, when she wants and no one can tell her different. So, Pelosi can employ this attitude, but our own president cannot? Delusional thinking people.

Mayhaps HS Pelosi might consider running? Would be interesting to see how Hillary would stand in a democratic battle with Pelosi? -- Well maybe not.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Pelosi Visits Market, Mosque in Syria

DAMASCUS, Syria Apr 3, 2007 (AP)— House Speaker Nancy Pelosi mingled with Syrians in a market and made the sign of the cross at a Christian tomb Tuesday during a visit to pursue dialogue with the country's leader. President Bush denounced the trip, saying it sends mixed signals to Syria's government.

Pelosi's visit to Syria was the latest challenge to the White House by congressional Democrats, who are taking a more assertive role in influencing policy in the Middle East and the Iraq war. The Bush administration, which accuses President Bashar Assad's government of supporting terrorism, has resisted calls for direct talks to help ease the crisis in Iraq and make progress in the Israel-Palestinian peace process.

Visit the source link above for more.

I get a feeling that this visit is indeed more for show, and attention grabbing. And it looks like it is not sitting well with a lot of Americans.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Honestly, with the way things are going in the Middle East, for anybody to go over there could be damaging. I agree that it was a potentially stupid move on her part, but just think, Bush could have gone over there and started rattling off some of the jibberish he rattles off here, and done much worse.

Just wait and see, what's the worst that could happen? We're already on the way to WW3.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

You can judge her intentions, but we cannot judge the President's?

Yeah, that makes sense....

Also, as far as "doing what she wants, when she wants"...What is the difference in that, and Bush threatening Congress to do what he says about Iraq, or have it Vetoed?

So the Prez can do what he wants, but his checks and balances system cannot?

Flawed logic.....

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
To all posters with this thread bashing Pelosi....ahhhh did I miss something about her bad behavior going to Syria?

Three Republican members of Congress were in Syria before Pelosi.

See attached Yahoo News Thread about the visit of the Republican law makers.

The story just basically says Republican congress people visited, and did not undermine America. Am I missing something here?

Why is it bad for a Democratic party lawmaker to visit Syria and be undermining the President, but Repubican lawmakers can go beforehand and it is ok? Why can't the other politcal party go if one goes?

I guess you have to be a woman or a Democrat to undermine US foreign policy to visit Syria. Because otherwise this thread is BS.

Well said. I was going to post this myself if someone else didnt do it first. All the crying and whining from the white house because syria is a state sponsor of terrorism and pelosi went there. But nothing when the three republican congressmen go to syria on sunday

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan

Well said. I was going to post this myself if someone else didnt do it first. All the crying and whining from the white house because syria is a state sponsor of terrorism and pelosi went there. But nothing when the three republican congressmen go to syria on sunday

Well, it should be fairly obvious to most
that the Republicans that went to syria would most likely agree with the current administration policy, while the demo pelosi would be there talking it down and trying to conduct foreign policy on her own - which is a no-no for all the reasons stated several times in previous posts.

Anyone that doesn't understand this doesn't understand how the U.S. government works.

Would clinton have wanted Bob Dole to go to Kosovo and tell them that the Republicans had a better plan? Yeah, right. BTW, Don't we still have troops in Kosovo and how many years has it been? Where's the demo outrage and gnashing of teeth on that? Let's cut the funding on that operation, too!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
make no mistake despite all the fury and bluster from the bush White House about her actions, they will be throughly briefed upon her return just as they were briefed when the Republican colleagues returned and just as they are always throughly briefed when any member of government goes abroad.
[edit on 3-4-2007 by grover]

I stand by that centurian. Your assertions are not how our government works either...It is all a matter of checks and balances. The parties may growl and posture at each other but there is no way a member of congress would or could make such a trip without the consent (even if grudging) of the White House or not brief them after.

When push comes to shove they work together.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Given the very hostile and partisan nature of American politics I doubt that Nancy just went to Syria on a fact finding mission. It is possible that she told President Assad to keep up the diplomatic stalemate with the Bush admin and that his government would get a better deal once a demcrate had been elected in 2008.

If Nancy just wanted facts she could have sent a trusted and knowledgeable aid to get the lay of the land.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This nation ( the USA) has no leadership. There is a lack of intelligent decision making, there is no thoughtfull deliberation of foriegn policy, there is only mindless knee jerk reaction to placate the more extreme right wing to maintain core political support.
The benificiaries have been Halliburton, the Oil industry, Banking industry, the military / industrial complex and various special interests. This president led the Nation into a fabricated War, using fabricated evidence. The White house no longer is able to maintain credibility.

So if the Speaker of the House is Filling the vacuum of leadership and intelligence in Washington DC, more power to her. At least somebody in our Government is attempting to lead the nation using diplomacy and thoughtfull deliberation.

And for those of you who cannot tolerate diplomacy first, we can always bomb people later.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Pelosi Defies Bush, Meets Syrian Leader

(CBS/AP) U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met Syrian President Bashar Assad Wednesday for talks criticized by the White House as undermining American efforts to isolate the hard-line Arab country.

She said the delegation gave the Syrian leader a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert whose essence was that Israel was ready to hold peace talks with Syria.

She did not say more about the message, but Israel has previously made such talks conditional on Syria's cutting off its support for hardline Palestinian groups and Hezbollah.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
and this was one of her fantastic ideas...

an idea, according to current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who’s "time has come." Stated Pelosi to Syrian President Bashar Assad: "Instead of Sunnis and Shia, it will be 'shirts or skins.'" Urging Assad to be part of the solution, Pelosi also urged him to help broker a trade program throughout the Middle East and Iraq. Stop the Syrian influx of fighters into Iraq by offering a trade – "one basketball for every IED (improvised explosive device) turned in, no questions asked."
A spokesperson for Pelosi added that the possibilities are endless. "In Iran, we could offer a bushel of basketballs for a barrel of oil, while curbing sectarian violence at the same time. In Iraq, ‘Baghdad Basketball’ shows promise as a viable alternative to the inner-city bombing plaguing the city, providing the urban youth with an alternative to their frustrations." Trading Semtex for Spauldings is an idea that is long overdue
link

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
A flake is a flake. Both major parties have 'em.

I want a list of your Republican/conservative flakes on my desk by two o'clock, and they better not just be the ones that were involved in some kind of scandal, getting caught with their pants down and giving the Republicans a black eye.

Condi's too manly to go over there and wear one of those head wraps and would probably piss Syria off even more. In all honesty I wish she'd wear one of those head wraps over here in the states so I wouldn't have to look at her hideous grill all the time. Sometimes things call for a more feminine touch, wouldn't you say FF??

Peace

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Candidate Romney chimes in....

Romney Calls Pelosi's Syria Trip 'Outrageous'

DES MOINES, Iowa — GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Wednesday called House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria outrageous and accused Democrats in Washington of playing politics with Iraq.

"Washington is a broken place right now, dysfunctional in some respects, which has been evidenced by the trip by Nancy Pelosi to Syria, but also evidenced by the failure to deal with overspending," the former Massachusetts governor said at a news conference in the Iowa statehouse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join