It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Pet food recalled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is getting more serious and I'm not sure we're seeing the end of it anytime soon. I would say just stay completely away from pet food altogether until there is an acceptable regulation put in place to ensure the safety it.

The pet food recall continues to expand. Monday several more companies announced recalls for dog and cat food.

Here are the latest products being recalled:Hills Pet Nutrition Prescription Diet M.D. Feline, Nestle Purina Petcare Alpo Primecuts in Gravey Dog Food with codes 7037-7053 and a best before date of Febuary 2009, Del Monte Pet Products Jerky Treats, Gravy Train Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels.

My dog eats a special diet of boiled chicken breast, brown rice and veggies with various supplements tossed in (recommended by a holistic vet). My cat currently is still on catfood (not in the recalled list YET) but I will have her on homemade meals very soon (cats have different nutrional needs than dogs).

Check out this other article that describes what goes into petfood:

The true horrors of pet food revealed: Prepare to be shocked by what goes into dog food and cat food

The well-known phrase "meat byproducts" is a misnomer since these byproducts contain little, if any, meat. These are the parts of the animal left over after the meat has been stripped away from the bone. "Chicken by-products include head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass not fit for human consumption," writes Henry Pasternak in Healing Animals with Nature's Cures.

How roadkill ends up in Fido's food bowl
The process that turns these animals and animal parts into pet food is also disgusting. After all, it takes a lot to turn roadkill into something owners feel good about pouring into their pets' bowls. Ann M. Martin describes the process in Food Pets Die For:

new topics

join