It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Loud Sound From Sky (March 30th, 2007)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Fermi is a nuke power plant but to me the sound sounds like a coal train they are very long move slow and carry a long distance at night. With all the automakers and such in the area it was probably a train. (I'm a train buff so it gets my vote fair or not)

mikell

Thanks for trying to come up with a solution but I have been living in this house for almost 7 years now and that wasn't a train I heard that night. I've heard the trains that go by here do there thing a good couple 1000 times im guessing and it never sounded like that (like a super loud jet engine that never changes its pitch or ever seems to get farther away from me or closer to me).

Thanks for the input though bid.

~Anathema

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Odd my mom heard what she called a sonic boom that day. I was asleep at the time and did not hear a thing. Now I am going to have to quiz her about it now see if it lasted a long time. I'll get back with ya when she gets home.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i thought sulfridge afb had been closed down years ago?
and what does fermi 2 do, anyway?

Wow I just stumbled onto this UFO sighting from Selfridge Air Force Base from Mach 29th 1966, just about 41 years from the day of my little incedent. I know its of no relation but thought that it was kind of funny.

Selfridge Airforce Base UFO

Here is a ling to an article detailing the closing of Selfridge AFB in 1971

Selfridge Air Force Base Closing

SAC Bases: Selfridge Air Force Base

Home of: 57th Fighter Wing in 1947; 500th Air Refueling Wing in 1962

One of the first bases assigned to the newly formed Strategic Air Command. In 1947, it was home of the 57th Fighter Wing.
500th Air Refueling Wing November 15, 1962 at Selfridge AFB, Mich. Closed 1971, became Selfridge ANGB, CGAS Detroit, NAF Detroit. NAF Detroit closed in 1994.

Upon closing in 1971 it became known as Selfridge AGB

On 1 July 1971, Selfridge Air Force Base became Selfridge Air National Guard

Selfridge Air National Guard Base

Selfridge Field is a joint Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard training facility in Harrison Township, Michigan, near Mount Clemens. The host organization is the Michigan Air National Guard, but a variety of Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Army and Army reservists use the facility as well. In 1971, Selfridge ANG Base became the largest and most complex Reserves Forces base in the U.S.

The airfield was named for Lt. Thomas Selfridge, the first military officer to die in an aviation accident, while flying with Orville Wright at Fort Myer, Virginia, on 17 September 1908. It was an active Air Force base from the 1940s throughout the 1960s, but it always had a significant Reserve and National Guard presence, and it became a wholly reserve facility in the 1980s.

On 1 July 1971, Selfridge Air Force Base was transferred to the Michigan Air National Guard. It was the first major active Air Force base to come under control of the Air National Guard. Today Selfridge Air National Guard Base is the home of many diversified units including elements of the Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps.

Selfridge Air National Guard Base was the first major active Air Force base to come under control of the Air National Guard. Today Selfridge Air National Guard Base is the home of many diversified units including elements of the Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps.

Basically they got all kinds of Military oportions going on there for a base that as far as most are concerned is "no longer oporational". You couldn't imagine how many peole tell me the same thing that Selfridge is no longer up and running and then I ask them how the hell is it that my Dad goes up there once a month and buys all his commesary (Food, Drink and Ciggarettes)? He is a 100% diabled vet that fought and Vietnam, is well decorated and retired with full pension from Social Security, and Full Military Benifits and Selfridge is the base he has to go to if he wants to be able to shop on a Military Base without having to drive 600+ miles to go to another base in some other state. The way he always explained it to me is that if you shop for your food and other necesseties on base that you get it for considerably cheaper then out here in tax land. I know Selfridge is a far shot further of a drive from Monroe, Michigan compared to when we lived in Anchorage Alaska and only had to drive about 15 minutes to get to Elmendorf Air Force Base, but hey, according to him it's still financially better then shopping at Walmart or Meijers.

Originally posted by undo
What does Fermi 2 do, anyway?

Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station

Fermi 2
Fermi 2 is a 1098 net MWe General Electric boiling water reactor operated by Detroit Edison and owned by DTE Energy. It was opened in July 1985 after the demolition of the old Fermi reactor--now retronymically called "Fermi 1"--was deemed necessary but a nuclear power plant was also deemed necessary for the needs of Southeast Michigan and Northwest Ohio. It is currently in operation.

Nuclear Boiling Water Reactor

The Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station is a nuclear power plant on the shore of Lake Erie near Newport, an unincorporated community in Berlin Charter Township, Monroe County, Michigan, approximately halfway between Detroit, Michigan and Toledo, Ohio. The plant has been built twice. The first construction was in 1963, and then rebuilt in 1985, because of partial nuclear meltdown. The two incarnations of the plant are termed "Fermi 1" and "Fermi 2," respectively; in everyday conversation, the current plant is always referred to as "Fermi 2."

The plant is named after the Italian-born American nuclear physicist Enrico Fermi, most noted for his work on the development of the first nuclear reactor, and for the development of quantum theory. Fermi won the 1938 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on induced radioactivity.

25 MI NE of Toledo, MI
Docket Number: 05000341
Operating License: Issued - 07/15/1985, Expires - 03/20/2025
Electrical Output: 1089 MWe
Reactor Vendor/Type: General Electric Type 4
Containment Type: Wet, Mark I
Operator: Detroit Edison Co.

Basically Fermi 2 is a boiling water reactor its a light-water nuclear reactor developed by the GE Company in the mid 1950s.

The BWR is characterized by two-phase fluid flow (water and steam) in the upper part of the reactor core. Light water (i.e., common distilled water) is the working fluid used to conduct heat away from the nuclear fuel. The water around the fuel elements also "thermalizes" neutrons, i.e., reduces their kinetic energy, which is necessary to improve the probability of fission of fissile fuel. Fissile fuel material, such as the U-235 and Pu-239 isotopes, have large capture cross sections for thermal neutrons.

Source: en.wikipedia.org

~Anathema

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
A friend of mine experienced something similar to this a few years ago. He'd popped out of the house in the early hours (2AM) to smoke a cigarette. As he stepped outside he was met with a thunderous, almost melodic sound. The sound seemed to be coming from beyond the clouds and in his words was "deafening". Curiously, we live in a small town (in Lancashire, UK) filled with houses, and no one else reported hearing a strange sound or a disturbance of any kind; however, my friend could barely hear himself over the racket. He'd actually tried to contact me via phone but I was sleeping at the time! To this day we have wondered what that sound could've been.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
A friend of mine experienced something similar to this a few years ago. He'd popped out of the house in the early hours (2AM) to smoke a cigarette. As he stepped outside he was met with a thunderous, almost melodic sound. The sound seemed to be coming from beyond the clouds and in his words was "deafening". Curiously, we live in a small town (in Lancashire, UK) filled with houses, and no one else reported hearing a strange sound or a disturbance of any kind; however, my friend could barely hear himself over the racket. He'd actually tried to contact me via phone but I was sleeping at the time! To this day we have wondered what that sound could've been.

Wow, this sounds to me to be a very similar incident compared to the one I had. It was like I couldn't believe that the whole world (in my neck of the woods) wasn't waking up and sticking their heads out the window like I was doing at the time.

Another exciting thing that kept coming to my mind was in relation to an article I read about 2 weeks ago. You see theres this guy (who is most likely a nut job but for the sake of argument lets say he knows something that we don't) who claims to be in contact with an alien race who informed him sometime around mid October 2006 and told him that within 6 months (and he was leaning towards it being end of march through mid april 2007) that the Aliens were going to do one huge mass sighting that would last for a few hours all over the world and that the government would never be able to cover it up or explain it away. He said that the intentions of this mass sighting would be to let the people of the world know that the Aliens are here, and are here to help and that this mass sighting would just be the first of many to come over the next year or so and would be leading up to actual contact with the regular citizens of the world. All that nonsense aside I couldn't help but think for a second that what I was hearing was a mother ship or a fleat of them making there way through our lower atmosphere and that the mass sighting was going down right then and I was gonna be one of the first to see it.

I got a good little giggle as I thought this and felt like a youngster again for the moment.

Who knows what tomorrow might bring!

~Anathema

[edit on 4/3/2007 by anathema777]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Anathema, is there a gas distribution centre nearby? I live near one, and once I've heard extremely loud roaring sound. First time I've heard it, I thought - airliner is about to crash land somewhere near! And it lasted for about 20 minutes. Later, it turned out that noise originated from the gas distribution centre. It was some kind of maintnance (I can't explain it precisely, all I remember it's something about low gas pressure and air in the pipeline).

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sistinas
Odd my mom heard what she called a sonic boom that day. I was asleep at the time and did not hear a thing. Now I am going to have to quiz her about it now see if it lasted a long time. I'll get back with ya when she gets home.

Please do let me know what she heard exactly and please spare no detail. It would be absolutly wonderful if you got the whole story from her and layed it out on here word for word when you get the time. Stress to your Mom that no detail is to small or unimportant to mention, like the time of day, tempreture outside, her gut feeling when the event occured, near by military bases and airports, usual airtraffic, near by structures that create noise like trains, and location, location, location!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

~Anathema

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's a strange one that's for sure! The strangest thing was that the sound was 'melodic', almost musical. It sounds like a scene from Close Encounters...! It was a massive, all encompassing sound, he couldn’t tell where it was coming from…

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

It's a strange one that's for sure! The strangest thing was that the sound was 'melodic', almost musical. It sounds like a scene from Close Encounters...! It was a massive, all encompassing sound, he couldn’t tell where it was coming from…

Could you possibly get a hold of him and get the whole story and tll it in this thread in detail please? You have very much caught my interest. Use my last post before this one as a referance point on what kind of details to include in the story if you do decide to share the whole thing with us here when you gather all of the information friend.

I'm off to bed so I will be speaking with you all tonight.

Again everyone thanks for all the great input so far. This thread is turning out to be quite interesting seeing all the othe peoples stories that are coming out of the woodwork ecause of my little experiance.

~Anathema

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by anathema777

Could you possibly get a hold of him and get the whole story and tll it in this thread in detail please? You have very much caught my interest. Use my last post before this one as a referance point on what kind of details to include in the story if you do decide to share the whole thing with us here when you gather all of the information friend.

I'm off to bed so I will be speaking with you all tonight.

Again everyone thanks for all the great input so far. This thread is turning out to be quite interesting seeing all the othe peoples stories that are coming out of the woodwork ecause of my little experiance.

~Anathema

I'll get back to you when I've pinned him down!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78
... is there a gas distribution centre nearby? I live near one, and once I've heard extremely loud roaring sound.

This is worth checking into. We have natural gas pipelines and compressors in our area. If one goes down, during restarts or bypass, escaping gas or air make a very loud sound.

Have you checked with authorities to see what they found if someone else reported it to them?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Actually, not too long ago in 2005, we had a similar incident here in the Bay area...even made the papers. I didn't hear the 2005 event, but a few months later I actually heard a boom one weekend morning, and as a military/Lockheed brat growing up around planes (and even a few SR71's), I can tell you I've never heard anything like it before....

www.sptimes.com...

Now, I did identify two F-18's in the air (assuming they were going to MacDill AFB), but their booms were distinctly different than the initial larger (and longer boom). I suppose it's possible it was some kind of amplified effect by numerous planes perhaps, but it sure was strange, loud, and long....and weird that they'd be doing this over a civilian area... (and it was NOT during the annual MacDill air show)....

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I bet someone has a jet-powered car or something, and they were testing a jet engine, in some capacity.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yeah I've been googling the news for South East Michigan to see if any large Jets were being flown in for an airshow otr something but no luck as of yet. Im starting to wonder if it wasn't just fermi doing dome insane test or perhaps what somone above suggested about some kind of gas related sound.

On another note there does seem to be a few UFO reposrts around the end of March in the USA about large Triangular craft being seen followed by a long lasting deafening sound (maight have been Canada). I will have to ind the link for this as when the event occured my first reaction was large secret military aircraft flying somewhere by my location.

Dunno...

~Anathema

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm still going with the empty coal train and a car or two with flat tires to give it the melody.

mikell

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
In November of 2005 we had simular incident in Rhode Island. I'm a paid firefighter in the town of Johnston RI. At 11:00 PM, Myself and three other firefighters heard a very loud jet like sound that was continuous for a half hour. Many calls came in to our dispatch center. It was like no other sound I had ever heard in my life. It was loud enough to shake the foundation of the fire station. The sound could be heard for miles. We were dispatched to investigate the sound and we found it was coming from the Florida Power and Lighting Gas Turbine Power plant. Engineers at the plant informed us that from time to time they have a build up of steam in the steam turbine and it must be released. It can last for up to an hour.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Do you by any chance have a concrete plant in your vicinity?

One night around 8 PM I was awakened (hey I was in college, that was nap time
) to a thunderous booming with a whining component to it. I was freaked out and thought we were getting bombed or something. I left my apartment with a few other people towards the source of the noise. Turns out it was some machinery at the concrete plant on the edge of campus. There was even a write-up in the paper about. Something about testing machinery after hours. Lasted about an hour and 15 min.

We didn't get many planes over the area so I honestly didn't think of fighter jets, but I swear it was the loudest thing I had ever heard to this day. And much the same as your experience, on a campus of 60,000 ... there were only about 11 of us that actually paid any attention to the noise

[edit on 4/5/2007 by Fiverz]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Im going to have to go ahead and say that you were most likely hearing the HH-65 helicopters that were doing excersises that night in the Monroe area. I know they were down there most of the night because I heard them on both Toledo and Detroit approach control while I was out flying practice instrument approaches between KONZ (Grosse Ile Airport) and KTOL (Toledo Expess Airport). And I double checked my logbook, the date is the same.

We actually came in and shot a couple of GPS and VOR approaches at KTTF (Monroe Custer Airport). I know Custer very well, it was the first airport I was signed off to land solo at when I was a student pilot. With the 5000 runway and no displaced threshold corporate Jets can operate from Custer without a problem. In fact, on the home page of their website is a picture of N640BA, a LearJet model 35 (I know the pilot) taxiing for takeoff from Custer.

Another thing you didnt account for is Instrument Holding Patterns. For Custer, the instrument holding pattern altitude is 2600 feel MSL, which is just 2000 feet off the ground. Aircraft (including helicopters) routinely practice holding patterns. Pilots have to practice and log at least 6 instrument approaches including holding pattern operations in the previous 6 months in order to maintain IFR currency.

Theres my two cents from an aviation standpoint.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The helicopters I speak of are operated by the US Coast Guard from the base located in Detroit. They have a very unique sound that gets your attention if youve never heard one before. They have twin turboshaft (jet) engines.

Since the sound was coming from the east, it makes even more sense because the heli's typically operate over or near the water 90% of the time.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Haven't other people here written the same thing, saying they hear this loud noise.

We need to find the locations this is happening at and the times so maybe we can make some sense of this.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join