It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Freedom" = Imperialism: It's in the Language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

"They hate us because we don't know why they hate us."
-Bill Maher

Over and over the TV propaganda boxes spew out lines like "defending our freedom", or the terrorists tried to attack our "freedom" or "our way of life" or "civilization itself".

What is this "freedom" they keep talking about? Some definitions of freedom:

A - Freedom; Noun:
1. The condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints.
2. Immunity from an obligation or duty.
B Freedom:
1. The state of being free; exemption from the power and control of another; liberty; independence. 2. Privileges; franchises; immunities.
3. Exemption from necessity, in choise and action; as, the freedom of the will.

While it could easily be argued that those who attacked "our" freedoms were Bush & friends, regardless of who was behind 9/11, but that's not the scope here.

For perspective you may want to begin with this, what I call "The First Truth":
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The First Truth is that the United States is an and always was an imperialist state. The big story isn't quite this fact, in my view, it's actually the fact that few Americans out of hundreds of millions have any concept of this glaring and irrefutable truth.

The reasons are rather blatent yet basic: we're all indoctrinated with imperialist propaganda our entire lives, and it simply goes unquestioned. From there, constant "reinforcing" propaganda is used, as evidenced on and constantly after 9/11.

It's the 'first proof' they lied about 9/11, within hours of the collapses, and continue to do so. American Imperialism is the source of the hatred for America and the intent behind the hijackers. Some could argue that it therefore proves that 9/11 wasn't a conspiracy, however this view doesnt contradict the LIHOP theory whatsoever, and even in the MIHOP case it could be a scenario of "Osama" exploiting that hatred for gathering his goons.

In any case, here's selections from countless examples:

www.youtube.com...
This was stated by both Rudy Giuliani and Gov. George Pataki at 2:36PM on 9/11. They were the original officials to use this language that has been echoed over and pver by Bush ad the rest of both the Republicans and Democrats. Thsi language is no different than that used by the Roman Empire imperialists to justify their atrocities and empire.

www.youtube.com...
Bush, on 9/11, claims that freedom and democracy was attacked.

www.youtube.com...
Bush, on 9/12, reiterates his claims that freedom and democracy was attacked.

At the first hearings of the 9/11 Commission:

www.9-11commission.gov...

CHAIRMAN KEAN:
"They wanted to extinguish the very freedom, vitality and diversity that characterizes the American way of life and makes it the bastion of hope for so many others in the world."

COMMISSIONER FIELDING:

"To repeat the obvious, we don't know where these facts will lead us, but we will seek the facts and have them lead us to conclusions which then, and only then, can be the basis for realistic recommendations that will hopefully mitigate the
possibility that we might again suffer the assaults of those who want to attack our way of life by attacking and terrorizing our citizens and our people in this country."

"Those who attacked us on September 11th wanted to usher in not a brave new world but a cowardly one, a world in which terrorists who envy our freedom and despise our values are willing to slaughter the innocent through any means at their
disposal."

COMMISSIONER BEN-VENISTE:
"Like countless Americans, I felt the searing pain, shock and horror of the brutal September 11th attacks upon my fellow citizens and the symbols of American greatness and power."

COMMISSIONER GORTON:
"And finally, I'd like to echo the remarks of my colleague, Mr. Ben-Veniste. The object of the attack of 9/11 was a free and open society which those attackers hated and wished to destroy."

GOVERNOR PATAKI:
"They didn't want to bring down towers, they wanted to bring down our confidence and our freedom and our way of life."

MAYOR BLOOMBERG:
"One of the surest ways to let the terrorists attack us again is for all of us to stay home, seal ourselves in, and let our economy and our lives fall apart because of a perceived threat. America is a country that for 225 years has been willing to stand up, run risks, fight to make sure that we stay a democratic country and to try to help the rest of the world. And we have not gone back and hidden ourselves at home."

DR. SOFAER:
"Ultimately, we owe the dead, the living, and the unborn a world of freedom and tolerance. When all else fails, we must fight to preserve and, in due course, extend those values. Freedom and tolerance are not merely Western or American ideals. They are enshrined in the UN Charter, freely subscribed to by all Member States. To allow their subordination to any ideology or
religion, however deeply felt, would undo the principles upon which the future of this nation and of humanity rests."

MR. JENKINS:
"Indeed, they believe that Islam's very existence is threatened, not simply by the presence of our troops in Saudi Arabia or our support for Israel, but by the secular nature of our society, by our vast commercial and cultural power, by the destructive effects they see in globalization, by their own marginalization in the world, in their own societies, in the countries to which they and their parents have migrated."

"Symbolically, the World Trade Center represented America's economic might, our ambition to extend our brand of free commerce throughout the world, the physical expression of globalization, even before the term was coined. Bringing down the World Trade Center, in their mind, would challenge American authority and would demonstrate the power of the attackers."

mod edit: removed all caps in title

[edit on 4/3/2007 by Gools]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
More Dubya:

"I will not relent in this struggle for the freedom and security of my country and the civilized world."
"More than 170 flags will fly on the south lawn of the White House today as a way to visually and symbolically explain that the world is coming together to fight this threat to civilization and to freedom."
March 11, 2002
archives.cnn.com...

This struggle has been called a clash of civilizations. In truth, it is a struggle for civilization. We are fighting to maintain the way of life enjoyed by free nations. And we're fighting for the possibility that good and decent people across the Middle East can raise up societies based on freedom and tolerance and personal dignity.
Sep. 11 2006
www.whitehouse.gov...

Bush: 'We're fighting for our way of life'
Sept. 6, 2006
www.cnn.com...

A month after the September 11 attacks, President Bush made the connection more explicit. "How do I respond," he asks, "when I see that in some Islamic countries there is vitriolic hatred for America?" Of course, the President is "amazed that there's such misunderstanding of what our country is about that people would hate us. I am like most Americans, I just can't believe it because I know how good we are."
www.counterpunch.org...

"Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. "
"On September the 11th, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country."
"Americans are asking, why do they hate us? They hate what we see right here in this chamber -- a democratically elected government. Their leaders are self-appointed. They hate our freedoms -- our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other."
"These terrorists kill not merely to end lives, but to disrupt and end a way of life. With every atrocity, they hope that America grows fearful, retreating from the world and forsaking our friends. They stand against us, because we stand in their way."
"But the only way to defeat terrorism as a threat to our way of life is to stop it, eliminate it, and destroy it where it grows."
"The advance of human freedom -- the great achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on us."
"I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people."
-Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People; Sep. 20, 2001
www.whitehouse.gov...

So to believe this view we must believe that the 9/11 atrocity was simply because we have freedom of election / religion / etc. First you have to believe in the myth freedom & democracy in this country itself. When you realize that those concepts are merely illusions, along with the "First Truth" perspective, then all of the establishments lies and doublespeak shatters into a million pieces. You finally near obtaining freedom of thought: the only freedom.

"The terrorists continue to plot against America and the civilized world.... We must continue to give homeland security and law enforcement personnel every tool they need to defend us. And one of those essential tools is the Patriot Act, which allows federal law enforcement to better share information, to track terrorists, to disrupt our cells, and to seize their assets."
State of the Union address
Jan. 20, 2004
en.wikiquote.org...:American_History_Primary_Sources_Clash_of_Civilizations

"We face brutal enemies who despise our freedom and want to destroy our way of life."
Nov. 08, 2006
Remarks By The President At Nomination Of Dr. Robert M. Gates To Be Secretary Of Defense
www.gop.com...

"Those who voluntarily place themselves in harm's way to defend our freedom: the men and
women of the armed forces."
"Our nation faces a threat to our freedoms, and the stakes could not be higher."
"This new enemy seeks to destroy our freedom and impose its views."
"We wage a war to save civilization itself."
www.september11news.com...

"Every civilized nation here today is resolved to keep the most basic commitment of civilization."
"We will defend ourselves and our future against terror and lawless violence."
President George W. Bush's first address to the General Assembly of the UN
Nov. 10, 2001.

What's important to pay attention to is the use of words like "our" and "we". Bush and friends simply aren't referring to 'simpletons' like you or i when they use that language.

Don Rumsfeld:

"The terrorists who attacked our country on September 11, they did more than blow up our buildings or murder thousands of people. They declared war on our nation and on our way of life."
"They attacked us because of what we are: Americans, free men and women proud of our country, proud of our country's cause, the cause of human freedom."
"Their goal was to try to frighten us into altering the way we live, so that we can no longer walk out of our houses, free to go where we wish and say what we wish, knowing that our children would come home safely from school. They want us to respond by curtailing those freedoms that we enjoy as a people -- to withdraw."
"So we really have two choices: Either we can change the way we live, or we must change the way that they live."
-Addresses Military Personnel at Whiteman Air Force Base
Oct. 19, 2001
edition.cnn.com...

Rudy Giuliani:

"We're for freedom, we're for the future, and in order to do that, we need leadership that uplifts us and moves us toward the future,"
Sunday, February 11, 2007
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2007/02/11/GIULIANI.TMP

"The New York City firefighters who lost their lives will be remembered among the greatest heroes of American history. Like the brave soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy and those who raised the flag over Iwo Jima, our firefighters... gave their lives defending our liberty."

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Both Rep's & Dem's, 9/11/02:

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring),
That Congress:
(1 )recognizes September 11 as both a day to remember those taken from their families,loved ones,and fellow citizens and a day for Americans to recommit to the Nation, to their freedoms,and to each other;
Citations:

"It is in that same spirit that we stand together today both Republicans and Democrats ..." Hon. Henry J. Hyde [R]

www.gpoaccess.gov...

GHWB:

"A hundred generations have searched for this elusive path to peace, while a thousand wars raged across the span of human endeavor, and today that new world is struggling to be born. A world quite different from the one we've known. A world where the rule of law supplants the rule of the jungle. A world in which nations recognize the shared responsibility for freedom and justice."
"Now we can see... the very real prospect of a new world order, a world in which freedom and a respect for human rights find a home among all nations."
-"Toward a New World Order" Speech; Sept. 11, 1990
en.wikisource.org...

"It was, it is, an unparalleled situation in history, one which presents us with the rarest opportunities to shape the world to do so wisely."
-President GHWB and National Security Brent Scowcroft in A World Transformed

Bill Clinton:
"The defense of freedom and the promotion of democracy around the world aren’t merely a reflection of our deepest values; they are vital to our national interests. Global democracy means nations at peace with one another, open to one another’s ideas and one another’s commerce.
candidate for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination

Foreign "Civilized" Sources:

"They were not only attacks on the people in the United States, our friends in America, but also against the entire civilized world, against our own freedom, against our own values, values which we share with the American people." Calling Tuesday's attacks a threat to peace and freedom everywhere, he said, "We will not let these values be destroyed – in Europe, America or anywhere in the world."
-German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder

"not only on the United States, but against humanity itself and the values of freedom we all share." The EU ministers said in a statement "There will be no safe haven for terrorists and their sponsors, the Union will work closely with the United States and all partners to combat international terrorism."
-European Union foreign ministers
Sept. 14, 2001

On September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked civilization itself.
-Ambassador Lawrence G. Rossin
zagreb.usembassy.gov...

And their aim is to destroy our way of life and what our democracy represents.
-Adel Darwish 2005
www.mideastnews.com...

"America did not attack al-Qaida on September 11, al-Qaida attacked America, and in doing so attacked not just America, but the way of life of all people who believe in tolerance, and freedom, justice and peace."
-Transcript: the Bush-Blair press conference
Nov. 20, 2003
politics.guardian.co.uk...

In their book The American Nation (2005), Mark C. Carnes and John A. Garraty say that Al-Qaeda's motivation was resentment towards the lifestyle, liberalism, attitude, and ideals exemplified in America and the West; its influence in Muslim countries and on traditional culture; and its offense to traditional Islam[74] They also suggest that another factor was lasting hostility to the West and the United States due to the former Soviet-Arab alliance or past imperialism.[74]

Mod Edit: Shortened the lengthy quote. Please Review This Link.

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote

[edit on 4/3/2007 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
wow... put all of this together with what Yugo Chavez said. "He stood here and talked like he owned the world."

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
LOL

I've only seen bits and blurbs from that speech. I really need to take the time to watch it in full sometime.

I'd liek to underscare that this post might not make complete sense without checking out it's forerunner:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Which underscores the indoctrinating propaganda we're spoon fed our entire lives. The key part of relevance is the entire conecpt of "civilizations" that we're taught are all empires.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that even if any of the 'underlings' I've cited (or could cite) aren't 'fully' imperialists, it still just goes to show how deeply imbedded the imperialist propaganda is embedded in their brains. I see it as this: either 'they're' (ANY politician) complete complicit imperialists, or they're too incompetenant to understand this core truth. In either case they need to be run out of 'office'.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

[edit on 2-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
That's politics. Words like "freedom" and "democracy" sound good. It's perfectly natural to do. Sometimes misleading, but it makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
That's politics. Words like "freedom" and "democracy" sound good. It's perfectly natural to do. Sometimes misleading, but it makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Agreed. I cant stand it when people recite" they hate us for our freedom",like it was the new " remember the alamo". I really wonder if people give any thought to what comes out of their mouth these days. We are always meddling in the middle east,in place we dont need to.

GW 1- Bin laden volunteered to defend saudi arabia from possible iraqi attack. SA said no,and let the US in its country. This is what really set him off. Just one small example in a long list shame.

---If they really attacked us because of our freedoms,then why didnt go after Denmark? Sweden maybe? Overall they are more "free" than the United States.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I love this line:

"The pictures of airplanes flying into buildings, fires burning, huge structures collapsing, have filled us with (dis)belief, terrible sadness, and a quiet, unyielding anger."

Basically he is just saying:

PICTURE
AIRPLANE FLYING
BUILDINGS
FIRES
HUGE STRUCTURES COLLAPSING
FULL BELIEVE
TERRIBLE SADNESS
QUIET
UNYIELDING ANGER

Its a common brainwashing technique used to assosciate specific emotions with a thought (or mental picture, imagination, conversation, reasoning, etc).
This particular command was used to assosciate 9/11 with death and destruction, and become terribly sad and angry. It would also keep people from talking about 9/11, even when the subject of 9/11 is brought up. If you watched Bush give this speech and actually trusted him or took him seriously, you may have been a victim to this mind programming technique.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hahaha, mind programming. That's cute.

Nah, it's an appeal to emotions. People felt disbelief, grief, anger, and whatnot, after the September 11th attacks. He is pretty much expressing sympathy and empathy for the American people. And I don't doubt that he felt the same thing that the rest of America did. Politics, yes, but it's something that a leader must do to show a connection to his people.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
For clarification:

With freakytv's example, it's "reinforcing" propaganda (when he continues to recite those words to this very day).

Brainwashing is what happens when you go to boot camp, or join the scientologists etc. It's a massive and rapid physical restructuring of the constructs / thought-patterns / mindsets of the brain. Technically, 9/11 itself was brainwashing, and regardless of the true nature behind 9/11, all terrorists acts are psycholgical operatons by nature.

From there it's important to point out that virtually every American's brain that experienced 9/11, especially those who watched it live and then over and over, underwent some of the most massive traumitic restructuring that they'll experience in their entire lives. But this itself wasn't brainwashing, but when the establishment got up there pumping out nonstop hyperimperialist propaganda, rather than telling us the truth about why they really hated US, that constituted "brainwashing".

Indoctrination is literally programming, which occurs over time... generally throughout your entire life.

Brainwashing is reprogramming, that happens suddenly by comparison. Previous biases are shattered, and new ones implanted.

Johnmike:

I need you to listen very carefully...

PROPAGANDISTS WRITE GWB'S SPEECHES.

That's right, propagandists. They put the "PR" in PROPAGANDA.

This same truth applies to all politicians and other public figures, virtually all the time.

If you have any doubts or questions etc, I can break the entire thing down for you with hard science and endless sources.

If you still believe in GWB and etc, you simply need to stop reading and listening to him and his overt imperialist propaganda. EVERY single time you listen to him/it it reinforces the thought patterns that have been prescribed to you.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Very good information Ignoranceisntbliss. I used to be a blind Bush follower simply due to my religious convictions on abortion, homosexuality, and so forth. I then began to feel more convicted about social issues concerning the poor as I dove into scripture more regularly. I began to really ask myself how is the Republican party....or any political agenda in the USA for that matter furthering the cause of feeding the hungry, providing for the poor, or aiding the widow (single parent families anyone?)?. I then stumbled upon much of your information that has allowed me to change my perspective on the way I see America. I would simply like to say thanks for revealing some truths to me.

I have a suggestion to make also. You should do a write up, video, or major post on practical ways we can apply the information you have shown us. I'm now at a loss on how I should vote. I don't trust much of anyone political I see flapping their gums on TV. I don't have any idea of really how to apply all this new insight I have if you know what I mean. A practical application approach would be totally awesome.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by Bugman82]

[edit on 3-4-2007 by Bugman82]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Am I the only one who watched the first Bush vid in the original post and was disturbed by the amount of times he blinks?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It's not "propaganda." It's a speech written by a speech writer who writes speeches for politicians. Cry me a river.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
"speech writers" are Public Relations experts, and "public relations" is nothing more than the cozy euphamism terminology from propaganda. The 'field' was named by the original science/psychoanalycists weilding propagandists, most notably Edward Bernay's who was the nephew of Sigmund Freud.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

This ia all basic history and understanding of the way things work, and until you understand these core truths, I hate to say it, but you simply wont have much of a clue about the way things really are. I tend to be a scholar and was still clueless when I look back on when I didn't have the foggiest about the full scope of what I'm trying to explain to you here.

When you come to understand all this, whenever you may, you'll the fact that you don't have a concept of this yet profoundly striking.
But going from the mere "public relations'" angle, can you name a SINGLE PR firm?

Seriously, watch (at least the first part) this BBC documentary "The Century of Self". It starts around the turn of the 20th Century, and charts the origins, history and evolution of "public relations". It's politically neutral, especially the first part here:
video.google.com...

Check that out, and then I can give you the advanced course if you're interestied in truth and understanding about the human mind, the science of persuasion & diversion (propaganda's core elements) and the world we live in.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bugman82

I have a suggestion to make also. You should do a write up, video, or major post on practical ways we can apply the information you have shown us. I'm now at a loss on how I should vote. I don't trust much of anyone political I see flapping their gums on TV. I don't have any idea of really how to apply all this new insight I have if you know what I mean. A practical application approach would be totally awesome.

I've been building towards a 6 hour video, which is what it will take for a 'silver bullet' tool - gain a complete and full understanding of the truth and etc in one sitting. It's like taking hundreds of documentaries, taking all of the factual elements and compressing them all into one complete narrative. Direct work on this project has been slowed drastically thanks to money woes and so on, but most of what I do still works towards it (besides the futrue tech stuff, thsi video is all pre-911).

Vote Ron Paul, or at least ANYONE besides republican/democrat.

And just keep spreading understanding. Understnad CANNOT be found on network TV. Kill your TV. Watch Google video.

All in due time. There's a lot to it.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thank you. Ron Paul does sound like a very interesting person who is completely focussed on this nation's best interests.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Ron Paul is everything America ought to be. I've never prayed for a politician before...

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Roger that. He's anti-imperialst! And I dont just mean he's anti this war or etc war, but anti-imperialist across the board.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
CORRECTION:

www.youtube.com...

It turns out that GWB was the first one to make this sort of statement on 9/11, and he did so exactly 2 hours before Guiliani, or 128 minutes after the final tower had collapsed.

ALSO:
I'm just now noticing that the following section somehow didn't end up with all of the quotes in the 'external source' box. These are rather important ones for this argument. Here's what was missing:

Both Rep's & Dem's, 9/11/02:

"9/11 was a vicious attack on civilians and on freedom." -Hon. Porter J. Goss [R]

"It is a day when our Nation changed, when we were savagely attacked by malicious enemies whose hatred of freedom and democracy runs so deep that they would murder innocent men, women and children." -Hon. Saxby Chambliss [R]

"we do have the freedom which we fight for, and that is why I know in our hearts we will continue to wage this ongoing fight against terrorism; These attacks on our cherished principles, values and freedoms" - Hon. Sheila Jackson-Lee [D]

"the story of the September 11 attacks is one of immense hate, a hatred for the principles of freedom," - Hon. Todd Russell Platts [R]

"Now it is our duty to help these children fulfill their dreams and understand that their parents died in an attack on the freedoms and values we hold to be self-evident." -Hon. Lois Capps [D]

"On September 11 ,2001 ,freedom-hating terrorists took from all of us our sense of innocence." - Hon. John Linder [R]

"That family can be assured that we will keep Sergeant Strickland memory alive as we go forward together in a unified way to preserve the freedoms for which he died. (in the Pentagon)" - Hon. Jay Inslee [D]

"So on this 1 -year anniversary of September 11, on this Patriot Day, may Americans again unite to remember our loss, to celebrate our freedom, and to defend liberty." - Hon. Jim Gibbons [R]

"reveal an even deeper resolve to let the principles of freedom for which we stand ring loud and clear." - Hon. Danny K. Davis [D]

"What happened on September 11 of last year threatens that democracy." - Hon.Gregory W. Meeks [D]

www.gpoaccess.gov...

[edit on 12-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
LOL
welllllllll they did take the United States calling it manifest destiny. They'll take the world and call it manifest destiny. These are some crazy hooligans!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join