It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians should be against global warming. I can prove with scripture.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I don't understand why so many fundamentalist Christians are against the environmental movement and condemn it as a liberal agenda. I can back my side up with scripture. Can you?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by arius
I don't understand why so many fundamentalist Christians are against the environmental movement and condemn it as a liberal agenda. I can back my side up with scripture. Can you?

And where is this scriptural backing that you claim to possess?

Not that I disbelieve you.....I am a Christian myself.

But at this time I do think that this is something of a liberal agenda.....and much more............

I would just like to see your scriptural standpoint.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Genesis 2:15 to start.

Now where is your proof that God wants us to indescriminately destroy the environment?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Genesis 2:15 to start.

Now where is your proof that God wants us to indescriminately destroy the environment?

What??

Did I say that??

I just think that this whole global warming thing is over-played....much like bird flu

And also that it is something of a liberal agenda...rather...that it is something sold to the public in general to promote the gaia philosophy....that we are somehow obliged to worship the earth, and that we can ultimately do something about it....when the bible actually says that all these natural catastrophies will occur in the end times, as a sign of His impending judgement.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This is a good read, with Scriptural support, and not very long-winded - Is God an Evironmentalist?(.pdf)

The whole of creation exists for God and His pleasure and purpose (Rom 11: 36; Col 1: 16-17; Rev
4: 11). It does not exist for humanity at all. Humanity is made of the same stuff as the rest of creation
(Gen 2: 7, 19, 3: 19), although possessing the unique gift of being in His image. Indeed, from some
perspectives, we are but an insignificant part of it (Ps 8: 4). We, as a species, are not independent
lords of creation (only God is), but stewards, caretakers, and managers (Ps 8: 6-9). The riches of
creation are gifts of God, as He gave the "land rich in milk and honey" to the Israelites (Ex 3: 17).

[...]

I suggest that Christian attitudes to the natural environment should show the following
characteristics: firstly, recognition that the world is God's, not ours; secondly, we are the part of
creation to whom God has given the "duty of care" in regard to the rest of creation, we are stewards of
creation, not its rulers, and are thus accountable; and finally, stewardship involves both preservation
and wise use of what we have been entrusted. Thirdly, the use we make of creation must be good, in a
way that primarily glorifies God and secondarily is of benefit to our neighbour.

So I agree with you that wise-stewardship (ie, evironmentalism) is the Christian thing to do. However, I also agree with Old Man - this whole debate over AGW/CO2 (a red herring imho) has got way to political for my tastes. We're ignoring the negative impact we have on our biosphere (that most people would agree with ie, GMOs, over-fishing, de-forestation, chemical pollutants other than CO2/greenhouse gases, famine, plague, etc, etc.) Conspiracy? I don't know, but more lame by the minute.

~apathy's a settin in
:sigh:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
most people stay close to home, see the same sights, never come across the actual damage being done.

Take a boat offshore, and see plastic refuse floating on the ocean. Sail through oil slicks left by passing cargo ships. See the Crap your breathing sitting on land like an warm blanket.

attempting to label the care and stewardship of this planet as a liberal agenda is silly. You dont sleep in garbage any more than i do, but we are certainly exporting it to where it isnt seen. It wont be long until that garbage comes back to haunt humanity, global warming is only one avenue that will occur.
there are many more that are far worse.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
how about the simple argument for people to be environmentalists: TAKE CARE OF THE PLANET YOU LIVE ON!

no scripture needed

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Of course, I agree that we should look after the planet we live on as much as possible, and not abuse it.

Doesn't it say in the bible somewhere....'God will destroy those that destroy the earth'.........or words to that effect?

No, what I am saying is that, from a CHRISTIAN perspective, the whole focus of the 'global warming movement' is geared to how man alone can remedy the situation, when the bible says that natural catastrophies....the sea and the waves roaring.....changing of times and seasons....etc, would seem to suggest that these things are meant as a warning to us that God's judgements are coming on the earth, and are somewhat unavoidable.

Therefore, in conclusion, the remedy is not to adopt a 'gaia' philosophy, but to repent and turn to God, whereas the whole 'liberal' movement seems to be saying that man alone, without God, has the answer.

Does this make sense?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Now where is your proof that Fundamentalists want to indescriminately destroy the environment?

:shk:

And as far as saying that the environmental movement has a liberal agenda. It does.

Read the lies exposed in this - www.cei.org...

(BTW - I'm not a Christian Fundamentalist)

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reaction to the title, anyone who wants a comfortable relatively nonhostil environment to live in is against the causes of global warming

(following is exagerated. don't take it too seriously)

But then again all of us who are against it could for the time it takes to get industry and so on to get clean cut the greenhouse gas emmisions on this planet in half. But we also don't want to lose all these neat comforts and technology. like the average energy sucking pc's that are constantly on with a lot of people. and tv's and cheap light bulbs and everyone owning a car or 2 instead of using busses etc etc etc.

but we're not content to sit at candle light with a book or play old fashioned family games
and we want to drive around in our gas guzzling car's and not use public transportation. (more remote locations excluded.)
Or bike to work doing our heart a favor while we're at it.

I know that doesn't solve it in the long run and energy production has to change, traditional engines have to go and so on but if we really are that worried we'd buy ourselves at least time with only half the emissions we are producing now.

ofcourse this is exagerated. im just saying im annoyed by ourselves as much as with industry sometimes because the public is half the equation but acts like it's totally innocent. also this doesn't apply to all of us. All my friends bike to work and school but it's holland.. bike country so not at all unusual

@Old Man. can't agree with it just being an agenda thing. it's obvious to me daily.
You might want to check out An Inconvenient Truth, you can still debate the cause but the environment is changing fast, too fast. And that is worrysome imho. We at the minimum have an obligation to find out what's going on exactly and what our part in it is.

The bottom line is we only have 1 planet. personally I like my "home" clean.

----

Personally I can't understand anyone 'defending' pollution.
It has a lot more issues then global warming. Disease for example, lie cancer inducing substances that are in, amongst other things, car exhaust gasses.

(A study by an academic hospital here in holland concluded after studying the air of one of our most smog ridden/poluted cities: Going outside to jog for 30 minutes is almost as bad as smoking a cigarette)

[edit on 3-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by David2012

@Old Man. can't agree with it just being an agenda thing. it's obvious to me daily.
You might want to check out An Inconvenient Truth, you can still debate the cause but the environment is changing fast, too fast. And that is worrysome imho. We at the minimum have an obligation to find out what's going on exactly and what our part in it is.

The bottom line is we only have 1 planet. personally I like my "home" clean.

----

[edit on 3-4-2007 by David2012]

The point I was trying to make is not that it is an agenda thing only.

What I was saying is, yes, the climate is changing......drastically.

But man, in his ???Wisdom???.......has decided to leave God out of the equation, and increasingly turning to his own remedies, which I think are no remedies at all, in actual fact.

It seems to me that the UN is pushing some kind of Gaia philosophy.....earth worship.

People ridicule the idea of a God, yet they seem to be ready to treat the physical earth as some kind of object for spiritual worship.....so they are just replacing one kind of worship for another.

Could it be time for us to realize that the bible might actually have something to say about the situation after all, and bring God back into the equation?

Seems to me that since man has rejected the idea of God during the last few decades, things have got worse, not better.

Thoughts....?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
If there is "Global Warming" it is a solar event and there is nothing we as humans can do about it.

It's in God's Hands! Have Faith!

Roper

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
If there is "Global Warming" it is a solar event and there is nothing we as humans can do about it.

It's in God's Hands! Have Faith!

Roper

Yes, I agree with that statement. I have read the bible the whole way through, not for a long time, though.....that is why I can't quote passage and verse.

But the bible does mention that the sun will scorch men in the last days, and yet they will refuse to repent, much like the plagues of Egypt in Pharoah's day.

Instead, they will probably offer all kinds of offerings to 'mother earth'.....to no avail. That is my understanding, anyway.

So, people might ridicule this claim.....but what if it turns out to be true, and actually does begin to happen......who will you turn to then?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Last time i checked you could not prove something by quoting a book.....
Bottom line..... you need to get out more....

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by morphonius821
Last time i checked you could not prove something by quoting a book.....
Bottom line..... you need to get out more....

But the bible DOES seem to foretell many things that are happening in the world today.....take the mark of the beast and the new world order, etc.

That is why there are so many conspiracy theories and forums out there dealing with this very subject.

Do you think it is just coincidence?

I mean....people are so willing to look, for example, into the prophecies of nostradamus, edgar cayce, etc, to find meaning and foreknowledge, yet they don't seem willing to take into account the prophecies of the bible....maybe because it is 'uncool' to do so.

If people are going to search for the truth, then they shouldn't exclude any evidence, just because it is considered 'not cool'

[edit on 3-4-2007 by Old Man]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have no problem with conservatives and the religious not caring about the planet, it's just all the excuses and lying that bother me.

Instead of saying, "there's no evidence for global warming," and, "the bible says this," and, "gaia will be a part of the anti christ's new age blah blah blah."

How about this,

"Look, we're making boatloads of money exploiting the earth. We like our SUVs, private jets, and yahts. The cost of researching new, renewable energy sources is going to hurt our way of life in more ways then one, and we aren't cool with that.
It'll be the poor citizens of third world nations that suffer when the feces storm hits, and let's be serious, nobody cares about them. By the time the earth becomes uninhabitable we'll all be dead anyway."

If people said that I'd jump on board because of the honesty alone. I don't have kids, so this planet can kiss my ass after I die.

But to start accusing the people who care of having an agenda? Right...
It wouldn't be the five corporations that own the planet with the agenda? No, couldn't be.
Then to recruit religion in the fight? That's really low. Have you seen jesus camp?
"And lo, Jesus said to his disciples, 'I'm proud to be an American.'"

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
I have no problem with conservatives and the religious not caring about the planet, it's just all the excuses and lying that bother me.

Instead of saying, "there's no evidence for global warming," and, "the bible says this," and, "gaia will be a part of the anti christ's new age blah blah blah."

How about this,

"Look, we're making boatloads of money exploiting the earth. We like our SUVs, private jets, and yahts. The cost of researching new, renewable energy sources is going to hurt our way of life in more ways then one, and we aren't cool with that.
It'll be the poor citizens of third world nations that suffer when the feces storm hits, and let's be serious, nobody cares about them. By the time the earth becomes uninhabitable we'll all be dead anyway."

If people said that I'd jump on board because of the honesty alone. I don't have kids, so this planet can kiss my ass after I die.

But to start accusing the people who care of having an agenda? Right...
It wouldn't be the five corporations that own the planet with the agenda? No, couldn't be.
Then to recruit religion in the fight? That's really low. Have you seen jesus camp?
"And lo, Jesus said to his disciples, 'I'm proud to be an American.'"

But I agree with you in part, Sunsetspawn.

At least as far as making boatloads of money out of exploiting the earth. But that is not the Christian attitude, either.

And why bring the Jesus camp thing into it? It's a whole new subject, and one which I, for one, don't completely agree with anyway.

If anyone is to make any progress whatsoever, then it's time to get down to brass tacks, as someone else said earlier, and also to stop with the name calling and stereotyping. Ridiculing people who have some kind of belief is not going to advance your argument to any degree, and will only serve to show your ignorance, in my opinion.

Like I said....wait and see....and if the sun DOES start to scorch people....who will you turn to then?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
No scripture is needed to confirm that God doesn't want us ruining the planet. Look at it this way: What you do to harm the planet now will come back to hurt your kids later.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
LOL i don't listen to anything religeons say! It's all a joke!
Religeons and beliefs have changed many times over thousands of years, it's simply a population control that works!!! if you are weak minded and can't make descisions for your self.

God-fearing zealots make me lol

Look at christianity if you don't beliecve in jesus you go to hell WTF

Then the quran, it says the world is 6000years old
it's a complete joke, if you believe in this stuff you have problems

So technically by christian beliefs every one in the world is going to hell except christians, because no other religeon worships jesus

[edit on 3-4-2007 by SKUNK2]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by David2012
You might want to check out An Inconvenient Truth,

I already posted a debunk of 'An Inconvenient Truth' -

Read the lies of an Inconvenient Truth exposed in this -
www.cei.org...

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
I have no problem with conservatives and the religious not caring about the planet, ......

:shk: Just because many people do not jump to the conclusion that global warming is man-made doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join