It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Cheats Iraqi Veterans Out Of Medical Care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Over the past six years, some 22,500 soldiers have been discharged on grounds of “personality disorder” --- a condition that can be alleged to have existed prior to their tour of duty --- thus absolving the Pentagon of its obligation to provide their medical care and pay their benefits.

A six-month investigation by reporter Joshua Kors for the April 9th “The Nation” magazine learned of “multiple cases” in which “soldiers wounded in Iraq are suspiciously diagnosed as having a personality disorder, then prevented from collecting benefits.”

According to Kors, “The conditions of their discharge have infuriated many in the military community, including the injured soldiers and their families, veterans’ rights groups, even military officials required to process these dismissals.” They say the military is purposely misdiagnosing soldiers “to cheat them out of a lifetime of disability and medical benefits, thereby saving billions in expenses.”

With an average disability payment of about $8,900 a year and a medical cost of about $5,000 per year over a 40-year period per soldier, separating 22,500 of them would save the Pentagon $8-billion in disability pay and $4.5-billion in medical care over their lifetimes, the article says.

src: www.scoop.co.nz...

With the Walter Reid scandal you'd think the Pentagon wasn't about to stick its head up its rear end again, then this comes to light. The notion that troops could be disharged on "personalilty disorder" is a bit mind boggling and we're not talking a few cases here and there, over 22,000 soldiers. The obvious cost savings to the Pentagon aside is it a sad slap in the face to those who've dedicated themselves to protect their nation and then when finances become an issue get tossed aside like common trash. Nice. To add

Russell Terry, founder of the Iraq War Veterans Organization pointed out that each soldier is screened psychologically when they join the military and asks, “if all these soldiers really did have a severe pre-existing condition, how did they get into the military in the first place?”

Its difficult to understand this when the military is now accepting applications from just about any scumbag that can walk:

src: www.abcnews.go.com...
The Pentagon sure is showing its true colors these days.

brill

[edit on 2-4-2007 by brill]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Its difficult to understand this when the military is now accepting applications from just about any scumbag that can walk:

[sarcasm]This actually plays right into the hands of the military's savings plan, as they can now discharge all these questionable recruits under the "pre-existing personality disorder" clause, thus saving more $ billions in medical care and disability payments.

Add this to the recent stories about conditions at Walter Reed, and soldiers classified medically unable to engage in combat re-evaluated and deployed to the front lines, and I get an emerging impression of the Bush business profile in action.[/sarcasm]

I am again appalled at the tactics employed by our own government in caring for and compensating those who have suffered greatly in the cause of protecting supposed national interests. The pattern all along has been a big, hyped front with very little substance to back it up. This is most glaringly apparent in the lack of adequate scope and extent of services to wounded and disabled veterans, not to mention the quality of the facilities they are provided.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The source for this article is dubious and there are some problems with the story, as it is related, however, if you are really concerned about this issue, rather than just using any old allegation to smear the US, the Bush administration, and the Pentagon, then contact your US Representatives and ask for a Congressional investigation into the matter.

A medical discharge under honorable conditions would prevent no veteran from receiving veterans' benefits and simply having a personality disorder is insufficient to discharge a service member and having a personality disorder does not preclude a diagnosis of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.

The government can play dirty tricks with veterans. I know this from personal experience. I also know that the are avenues of redress and that there are numerous organizations who provide their services free of charge for veterans to challenge decisions made by the DVA.

Its difficult to understand this when the military is now accepting applications from just about any scumbag that can walk....

This statement alone indicates a very low regard for our service members and makes me wonder why the poster would give a flying hoot as to what happens to veterans.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The source for this article is dubious

www.opednews.com...
www.metimes.com...
www.signs-of-the-times.org...

I'm sure the regular garbage mills will report on this once they 'spice' up the details

if you are really concerned about this issue, rather than just using any old allegation to smear the US, the Bush administration, and the Pentagon, then contact your US Representatives and ask for a Congressional investigation into the matter.

I didn't realize that every post had to have some sort of sentimental value or that we all had to hold hands and sing kumbayah. I'm just posting because it will promote discussion maybe more so for those who are in the military. Not every post has to be a crusade

Its difficult to understand this when the military is now accepting applications from just about any scumbag that can walk....

This statement alone indicates a very low regard for our service members and makes me wonder why the poster would give a flying hoot as to what happens to veterans.

I'm not the one ripping off vets you need to sort out fact from fantasy. You negate the facts as presented which appear to show that your own government screws over those who should deserve better. Instead you attack the source which I'll give you may not be prominent rather than question this administrations direction and obvious disregard for troops. Added to which my last reference has merit because it is true that convicted felons are being admitted which is wrong in so many ways. Of course you conveniently didn't refer to any of that.

brill

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A development with regard to the issue at hand.

Washington, DC – Congresswoman Heather Wilson this week supported House passage of the Wounded Warriors Assistance Act of 2007 (H.R. 1538) to improve services for wounded troops and eliminate red tape for those seeking assistance.

Wilson highlighted two important aspects of the bill:

1. The legislation calls for an evaluation of the care our wounded service men and women receive.

2. The legislation will improve the transition of soldiers from the Department of Defense health care system to the Department of Veterans Affairs and untangle red tape and delays, including a written transition plan and better record-keeping.

wilson.house.gov...

[edit on 2007/4/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill

With the Walter Reid scandal you'd think the Pentagon wasn't about to stick its head up its rear end again, then this comes to light. The notion that troops could be disharged on "personalilty disorder" is a bit mind boggling and we're not talking a few cases here and there, over 22,000 soldiers. The obvious cost savings to the Pentagon aside is it a sad slap in the face to those who've dedicated themselves to protect their nation and then when finances become an issue get tossed aside like common trash. Nice.

This is being blown way out of porportion. Of course people that are seriously wounded or have a personality disorder are going to be discharged. These people can no longer perform their military duties so the military has no choice but to discharge them.

There are several paths for the military to take:

-Put the member through a MEB (Medical Evaluation Board) to see if the member can still perform duty. If member is able to perform specified job duties then they will stay. If member is not able to perform duties they will be cross-trained into another job or be discharged.

-Now, if a member is decided to not be fit for duty in any job then they will be discharged. Once the member is discharged they will go through the VA to get their disability payments.

Anyone that is wounded in battle will be treated to the furthest extent possible. If someone loses an arm that person will have the required treatment to secure life. Physical therapy will happen until the MEB. After that, it will be the VA that takes care of them (as I said earlier).

For what I pay, I think the healthcare in the military is just fine.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

A development with regard to the issue at hand.

Washington, DC – Congresswoman Heather Wilson this week supported House passage of the Wounded Warriors Assistance Act of 2007 (H.R. 1538) to improve services for wounded troops and eliminate red tape for those seeking assistance.

Wilson highlighted two important aspects of the bill:

1. The legislation calls for an evaluation of the care our wounded service men and women receive.

2. The legislation will improve the transition of soldiers from the Department of Defense health care system to the Department of Veterans Affairs and untangle red tape and delays, including a written transition plan and better record-keeping.

wilson.house.gov...

[edit on 2007/4/3 by GradyPhilpott]

Thats certainly some encouraging news, thanks Grady

top topics

join