It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My hypothesis on how linear time travel is nearly impossible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I feel like proving linear time traveling wrong and impossible. I have seen so many of the time travelling movies and I just wanted to prove them all wrong, and of course, to prove a different theory, and to prove all of the original ones. So and all theories have backgrounds so where do we begin? We have to start with the obvious, is time traveling possible? YES IT IS! BUT:

"Is it possible to time travel like they do in movies where they go back in time to prove ot the future that it is real where you can gio back in time and change your life from the past?"

Yes that is possible but if you do that, there is a very huge percentage that you will be living in a different time-line (according to my theory at least), I am going under the assumption that time traveling is real, and it is real.

When subatomic particles split apart from each other they go off in different directions in space, one to the right, one to the left, then in all of entirely different directions. Why must linear time travel be impossible?

There is a simple answer to that, that's because of the theory of the multiverse and of the quantum physics string theory. When one action happens you get sent into a completely alternate decision reality. All of your decisions get sent out into many different directions. The people of the different reality don't really matter about what happens to you but only your decisions do.

What does this have to do with time traveling? It is simple, that means that there is no way whatsoever so that you can get back to your current time without altering the past or the future with your prio knowledge of the future or the past. You can really screw up your life with this and the variables of your life cannot be simplified into one simple equation so there will not ever be a simple time machine that can travel to any distant point in any future timeline or the near future or in the past. In the near future this will not be possible.

It is only possible for time travel to exist if we happen to figure out how to go faster than light, and then, even if we do, how will we travel back into our time? Because it would be really hard to do that we would have to go faster than the rate of the expansion of our universe in order to visit a point in the distant past. Even if we did do that, the decisions that we made in the future in our timeline that we visited to, may not change the future because those decisions may have not gotten made yet.

It's like this. We travel to the future only to realize that we aren't traveling to it but that we skipped all of the decisions that we made in the past and that those decisions can't be remade, so therefore, we may not be able to go back to our timeline. You'd have to remember everything you did in order to go back to the past.

The impossibility of time travel can be simplified into one simple equation.

If A=your time, and B=what time you want to got o, and C= what time you will end up at

then A=X, B= Y, and C=Z

Then

00X+00Y=00C
-00Y -00Y
-------------------
00X=CY

The variables C and Y counteract each other meaning that one possible time remains so that you would travel to. So that C and Y influence each other and show a relationships between them and X. The fact that C and Y are equal to X equals to infinite is because it shows an infinite amount of possibilities of which version of a day you could go back to. However that means that the time machine would have to identify what time you are going back to.

Let's get back to what I was saying. There is no possible reason to think that you could go in the future or in the past because if you did the future or the past wouldn't happen. Say we add a variable to the equation, your chance of error. Your chance of error would be very high and your medium that you use to travel in time would break, let's call this variable W.

Of course for the only real way to do it would be for these things to be possible:

1) the multiverse didn't exist.
2) That we can travel fast enough to travel back to one point in time.
3) so that we can effect the past and the future

Linear timet raveling won't be possible unless you travel to before or after the point in time you travelled to because you would evidentially collide with yourself if you travelled back to the point in time that you travelled to, in the past or the future in. That being said, if that happen, and you traveled back to the point in time where you started, then you may not exist because you'd end up colliding with yourself.

That being said, time traveling is a very downlooked upon subject, but you'd have to make sure that you travel back to your same timeline and not any other timeline but you couldn't change your past your future or any other futures.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
IF you have ANY suggestions I would like some. I am planning on continuing this hypothesis and making it a theory using decartes's logical reasoning to prove it. It's not too far out of my reach.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Cut and Paste from orignal post begins here:

If A=your time, and B=what time you want to got o, and C= what time you will end up at

then A=X, B= Y, and C=Z

Then

00X+00Y=00C
-00Y -00Y
-------------------
00X=CY

The variables C and Y counteract each other meaning that one possible time remains so that you would travel to. So that C and Y influence each other and show a relationships between them and X. The fact that C and Y are equal to X equals to infinite is because it shows an infinite amount of possibilities of which version of a day you could go back to. However that means that the time machine would have to identify what time you are going back to.

Cut and Paste from orignal post ends here

I'm not sure what you're trying to 'prove' by throwing an arbitrary equation up...your terms need to be better defined, and their derivations explained, before you can offer up a mathematical proof. Bad definition aside, 0*anything = 0, so 00C, 00X, and 00Y are all, by some of the most basic definitions of algebra, 0. You've also made an error in manipulating your terms.

If 00x+00y=00c, then the correct form to subtract 00y from the equation would be 00x+00y-00y = 00c-00y, which then simplifies to 00x = 00c-00y...which doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer
Cut and Paste from orignal post begins here:

then A=X, B= Y, and C=Z

Then

00X+00Y=00C
-00Y -00Y
-------------------
00X=CY

Cut and Paste from orignal post ends here

I'm not sure what you're trying to 'prove' by throwing an arbitrary equation up...your terms need to be better defined, and their derivations explained, before you can offer up a mathematical proof. Bad definition aside, 0*anything = 0, so 00C, 00X, and 00Y are all, by some of the most basic definitions of algebra, 0. You've also made an error in manipulating your terms.

If 00x+00y=00c, then the correct form to subtract 00y from the equation would be 00x+00y-00y = 00c-00y, which then simplifies to 00x = 00c-00y...which doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

I was trying to use a double infinite symble but using oo would be better but I used 00 instead, I am sorry that I confused you.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You still haven't defined any real relationships. You can't just arbitrarily throw terms out like confetti, attach variables to them, and construct a meaningful mathematical relationship. To give you an example, I could say (in an internet discussion forum, for example) that "If A is a utopian world, and B is the Evil Bu#ler McCheanyburton administration in Amerikkka, then A+B = C where C is the messed up world we have now. By subracting B (which is all that is evil), we are left with A (Utopia) = C (the world we have now), and therefore, the current administration in Washington must go away in order to solve the world's problems"

Of course, such a statement is nonsense from the mathematical standpoint, regardless of political opinion. Why? Because of the arbitrary way I've defined and derived the terms of my relationship.

The relationship that you put forth is just as arbitrary (though not politically loaded), and therefore just as meaningless, unless you can defend the derivation of your relationship.

Even when you've done that, there's *still* an error in your methodology (the subtraction of the Y term from only one side of the relationship, to be exact) that renders the entire thing meaningless. Support your derivation, correct the methodolgy, and you might be able to prove something. Until you do both, there's nothing there, from a logical standpoint.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Time is not linear. So the concept of linear time travel is mute in the first place.

All things are spherical or helical at the core...from the atom to the solar system and beyond, no doubt. A 'black hole' is an inverted sphere, a torus, and THAT is the method for 'time travel' (which is not really even traveling across or through time but more like circumventing the whole issue altogether.)

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The inseparability of space and time is reinforced by Einsteinian theory — that what we call Space and Time are only perceptual facets of a continuum. When we traverse space, we also traverse time, within the limits of a light-speed-maximum universe. Relativistic space/time theory usually bounces off modern physics students as a given. But the inverse must be true, as well: When we traverse time, we also traverse space. This has colored my view to such an extent that I have to scoff at most popular representations of time travel, in both entertainment and science.

Let's put this into perspective. The typical human time travel scenario follows: A.) Human builds a Time Machine. B.) Human briefly deliberates on the possible consequences of time travel. C.) Against all logic, human hops into the Time Machine and takes a spin. D.) Human emerges in the future or past on Earth to find a radically different society, and so attempts to alter human outcome. This is the basic outline for virtually every human time travel fantasy yet concocted.

The problem is, it can't happen that way. Here's why: Should we physically defy Time, we necessarily create a new miniature universe distinct and separate from our current space/time continuum (an alternate-time-effect). This is essential if we are to retain any sense of continuity; otherwise, we would never know if our time traveling efforts were successful. However, in defying Time, we have also defied the rest of spatial physics — including gravity.

So, what force is causing our Time Machine to adhere to Earth's surface as we move forward or backward in time? How do we step into a Time Machine in 21st Century Topeka, Kansas, and emerge in Topeka, Kansas, 100 years in the past or future? The Earth of 100 years ago is far removed spatially from our Earth of today.

The answer is that we don't. Instead, the moment we activate our fiendishly complex Time Machine, we sidestep physical law, becoming a stationary non-entity relative to the rest of the cosmos. We are thus unaffected by macro-gravitation. When and if we finally re-enter normal space/time, the Earth is nowhere to be found, nor is the rest of our solar system. Depending on the intensity and duration of our "time warp," we may find ourselves deep in interstellar space — with no recognizable constellations to guide us home — or even outside of the Milky Way altogether, lost in the intergalactic void.

At this point, we come to fully appreciate the expanding universe theory, and we realize that time travel is not all it's cracked up to be. Whatever reasons we had for attempting this experiment in the first place are forgotten — We have pulled over to the shoulder on the superhighway of existence, and our entire universe has moved past us while we were parked.

How is it that this dreadful pitfall is never addressed in the popular consideration of time travel?

Come to think of it, the only way a time traveler might emerge from the alternate-time-effect and find himself back on Earth, at some past or future date, would be if the Earth was indeed stationary, at the virtual center of the universe. Yes, it's a pre-Copernican notion; however, many respected scientists today — and certainly all of our science fantasy authors — subscribe to the stationary earth theory (whether or not they realize it) when pondering time travel.

I've heard several notable mouthpieces of the scientific establishment, including Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking, comment on the plausibility of time travel — breaking it down so far as quantum gravity paradox and exploding time machines and so forth — yet they always seem to return to the highschool drama of some hypothetical time traveler killing his hypothetical grandfather, thus altering the continuity of linear time/space. Many of the greatest minds apparently make this leap of reasoning, without explaining how or why a time traveler would arrive back on Earth at all, but presupposing that time-travelers always arrive back on Earth — which is an Earth-centric theory.

Just from a common sense perspective, a time traveler would never meet his distant ancestors or descendents, unless the time traveler was also exceptionally gifted in interstellar navigation and was in possession of the precise spatial coordinates of Earth, relative to the rest of the expanding universe, for a precise Earth date and time (in addition to possessing an outlandish interstellar propulsion system that didn't nullify the time travel effect). That's one tall order. The much more difficult aspect of time travel is finding your way home.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/3/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer
You still haven't defined any real relationships. You can't just arbitrarily throw terms out like confetti, attach variables to them, and construct a meaningful mathematical relationship. To give you an example, I could say (in an internet discussion forum, for example) that "If A is a utopian world, and B is the Evil Bu#ler McCheanyburton administration in Amerikkka, then A+B = C where C is the messed up world we have now. By subracting B (which is all that is evil), we are left with A (Utopia) = C (the world we have now), and therefore, the current administration in Washington must go away in order to solve the world's problems"

Of course, such a statement is nonsense from the mathematical standpoint, regardless of political opinion. Why? Because of the arbitrary way I've defined and derived the terms of my relationship.

The relationship that you put forth is just as arbitrary (though not politically loaded), and therefore just as meaningless, unless you can defend the derivation of your relationship.

Even when you've done that, there's *still* an error in your methodology (the subtraction of the Y term from only one side of the relationship, to be exact) that renders the entire thing meaningless. Support your derivation, correct the methodolgy, and you might be able to prove something. Until you do both, there's nothing there, from a logical standpoint.

That wasn't an equation to prove that time traveling was wrong my equation was to prove a point. I was showing algebraicly that if there were an infinite number of times that you could go to and an infinite amount of places you will end up at then, these infinite symbols will cancel out each other. That makes it so that there is an infinite number of versions of your time that you would go back at since you know the future and the past and you would be able to alter it in infinite amounts of ways!

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Hi,

For some issues raised here about time, you could found a few replies in his thread
www.abovetopsecret.com... , post “Time travel” and others with additional documentation.

Hope this will be useful for this discussion.

brotherthebig.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
lol. This thread is hilarious.

All I have to say is we here on earth know absolutely nothing about the universe around us. We may know .0001 and thats at best.

Don't try to prove or disprove time travel. Just accept the fact that even though it's 2007 we humans are still fairly primitive. Think about it. There are cultures out there in the universe that are millions of years in advance of us. We don't know who they are but we do know they are out there. And the best part of being on earth at this time is that we know absolutely nothing and have absolutely everything to learn. Thats what makes it so exciting.

top topics

join