It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dirt can make us feel good!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

explorenorth.com..." border=0>
< br />

Dirt exposure 'boosts happiness'

Exposure to dirt may be a way to lift mood as well as boost the immune system, UK scientists say.

Lung cancer patients treated with "friendly" bacteria normally found in the soil have anecdotally reported improvements in their quality of life.

Mice exposed to the same bacteria made more of the brain's "happy" chemical serotonin, the Bristol University authors told the journal Neuroscience.

More...

I love stories like this one.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by loam]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I have a sister that used to eat dirt by the spoon fulls. My mother took her to the doctor because she thought something was wrong with her. The doctor told her that dirt wouldn't hurt her as long as she didn't try to choke down any rocks or anything.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Garden work-really really good for you. You get the dirt, the sunlight, the fresh air, if I were a doctor I would prescribe it.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Did I mention the exercise?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Nature has it's healthy&dirty ways

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I knew it!

Great find.

PS. Having great fun playing in the dirt in my gardens.

PPS. I found some bat#, will let you know if the gardens take off with it.

PPPS. Thanks - this fits with my role-microbes-play-in-evolution hypothesis. (Just not quite sure how yet - but it has something to do with balance, and restablishing dominance of 'familiar' microbes.)

[edit on 22-4-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ah ha I always knew digging in the dirt was good for me. I love gardening and making pretty pretty flowers grow. Nice to hear doctors finally figured it out.

top topics

join