It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jellyfish have human-like eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

A set of special eyes, similar to our own, keeps venomous box jellyfish from bumping into obstacles as they swim across the ocean floor, a new study finds.

One of these eyes is located on the top of the cup-like structure, the other on the bottom, which provides the jellyfish with “an extreme fish-eye view, so it’s watching almost the entire underwater world,” said Garm, who will present his research at the Society of Experimental Biology’s annual meeting, in Scotland.
Because jellyfish belong to one of the first groups of animals to evolve eyes (the phylum Cnidaria), Garm said, understanding how their eyes operate will show scientists what eyes were like early in evolutionary time

I have never seen a jellyfish with eyes. In the picture it looks almost fake. The only issue i have with this is how do the scientist know that jellyfish belong to the first were one of the first animals to develop eyes?Anyways I just thought this article was interesting.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thats weird my gut has Jellyfish like flesh!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
They do have eyes

I think it's called the eyespot, just ask your local science proffesor involved in biological studies if your in college.

new topics

join