It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

According to this video, pouring Coke on raw pork causes worms to surface (false)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't know if I can ever eat pork again if this is the case with all raw pork.

www.vidmax.com...

This has got to be a spoiled piece of meat or something. It just can't be fresh....can it?

Peace

(title edited by mod to clarify finding of "false")

[edit on 4/2/2007 by thelibra]

[edit on 4/2/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The way I see it is you get some added protein. Two for the price of one if you will.

Seriously I cook pork quite a bit and marinate it with different stuff that is usually acid based and I have never seen worms come out. And the only thing I can think of in the coke would be the acid to make the worms surface.

Then again they cut to the picture 2 minutes later so the worms could have been placed there.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by etshrtslr]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
www.snopes.com...

No worries, mate. It's false. The snopes article lists a u-tube video that plays the same video, and the snopes team disproved it.

And thank god, cause I loves myself some tastypork.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
and non-kosher jews around the site let out a sigh of relief

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
But the worms add flavor.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
But the worms add flavor.

one of the best steak houses in the US is located here in NY. Peter Luger's. The steak there is truly amazing. Anyway, I was there a while back with a group of friends and we had gone thru 2 porterhouse for 6 steaks, along with a ton of sides and we were sitting at the table, trying to figure out how to get our overstuffed butts up and out of the restaurant and one of my friends asked the waiter how come their steak is so much better than all the others and the waiter said it was the aging process.

so the question was raised, "how are they aged?"

the waiter then responded with a detailed description of how the steaks are hung and left hanging as maggots work their way thru the meat and fat, leaving a well marbled but still very meaty cut of beef. we're all sitting there, somewhat dumbfounded and a bit nauseous when the same friend who started this asks "who picks the maggots off before you cook the steaks?"

the waiter, still clearing the table, never looking up, says
"they mostly burn off from the heat. maggot juice is what makes our steaks so much tastier"

and he walked away.

the ongoing discussion as to the validity to all of this still rages today.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I usually ask for the worm juice on the side.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
the waiter then responded with a detailed description of how the steaks are hung and left hanging as maggots work their way thru the meat and fat, leaving a well marbled but still very meaty cut of beef. we're all sitting there, somewhat dumbfounded and a bit nauseous when the same friend who started this asks "who picks the maggots off before you cook the steaks?"

the waiter, still clearing the table, never looking up, says
"they mostly burn off from the heat. maggot juice is what makes our steaks so much tastier"

He was definitely pulling your leg. I used to work for a 4-star steakhouse and we had to actually take a course on their steaks from cradle to plate. But don't take my word for it, here's how it happens...

from The Straight Dope
Directly after cattle are slaughtered, their meat is generally quite tender, which is one reason people like fresh-killed meat. However, since few restaurants adjoin a stockyard, most of us have to settle for meat that's not nearly as fresh. During the first 12 to 24 hours postmortem the meat will toughen as the muscle fibers shorten due to rigor mortis. After that, however, enzymes in the meat attack the structural proteins that make meat tough (a process called "postmortem proteolysis"), resulting in slow and natural tenderization. The process happens quickest in pork and lamb and generally slowest in beef. Enzyme action has the additional effect of improving and strengthening the flavor of the beef, most likely due to the breakdown of proteins into amino acids.

Since aging would normally allow bacteria and mold to act on the beef, it's carried out at low temperatures, generally between 34 and 38 F. Beef can be aged anywhere from a few days to as long as six weeks, with the average probably around 10-14 days in an effort to strike a balance between taste and storage costs. Aging is typically done by the so-called dry method, where the beef is hung in a freezer for a prescribed time prior to cutting. Dry aging results in a loss of meat over time due to water evaporation and surface mold (which must be trimmed off), but is said to concentrate the flavor of the meat. An alternative method is wet aging, where the meat is stored in large vacuum bags that seal the moisture in and keep some of the mold out. Wet aging reduces the loss of meat due to evaporation and mold, resulting in more saleable meat, but generally doesn't develop an agreeably strong taste to the degree that dry aging does.

So basically it's enzymes, not maggots. And yeah, sometimes some of the mold has to be cut away, but it's really not unlike the process for aging fine cheeses.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was never on the side of maggots being true. I've been to the aging rooms of a few steak houses and one of the best butchers on the planet has an aging room that is visible to the public walking by (www.lobels.com)

if you like good meats, and don't mind going broke as you clog your arteries, there really is nothing like lobels. I bought a steak there once, on a whim, and was shocked at the cost, especially since my two pound pile of protein and fat didn't have a license plate or wheels at that cost but I have never had a steak that tasted as good (and I foreman grilled it which is probably some kind of steakhouse blasphemy)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Sorry Doc, the worms are actually in the Coke. Which is why I always take my whiskey on the rocks. Unless it's good Scotch.

The waiter was pulling your well fed leg, Crakeur. Dry aged beef is hung in coolers at temps just above freezing. No maggotry involved.

Is that the Peter Luger's in Montauk off exit 59?

[Edit to add]
Jeez, you guys were all over that one.

[edit on 4/2/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
there are two lugers, one in brooklyn and the other is off exit 33 of the lie, a few blocks from where I grew up.

there never was a lugers off exit 59 nor was there one near montauk.

they just called it the montauk lugers, you know, how like we call the new york knicks the los angeles team.

same thing

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is a good thread, so I didn't want to close it or anything, but I went ahead and moved it to the Folk Tales & Urban Legends forum, since it's a better fit. Still, it's a good fun thread, feel free to continue.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I thought if you poured Coke on meats it just dissolved it?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Here in the hinterlands, we have several big chain steak houses, including Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Sullivan's, and Shula's.

But the venerable local non-chain version is St. Elmo's which I'll put up against any of them. Killer shrimp cocktail and the steak's been maggot free since 1902. As far as I know. Or want to.

And yes, steak will tenderize to the point of mushiness given long enough in a Coke, but it will not dissolve. Nor will a nail, or a tooth.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
www.snopes.com...

No worries, mate. It's false. The snopes article lists a u-tube video that plays the same video, and the snopes team disproved it.

Uh, it's easy for a group to SAY that they "disproved" something, but the video obviously SHOWS that there is something on the meat. Also, SNOPES is not an unbiased source of information if you ask me.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

www.snopes.com...

Uh, it's easy for a group to SAY that they "disproved" something, but the video obviously SHOWS that there is something on the meat. Also, SNOPES is not an unbiased source of information if you ask me.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Actually what the video does is show pouring of coke onto the meat, black out with the caption "2 minutes later" and then shows wormy meat.

I could video tape me pouring coke on myself, pause the camera, get a makeup artist to paint horrible acid burns on my arm, set my camera to record the caption "2 minutes later", sit back in the same position, and have someone hit pause again, and by golly, it'd SHOW that I received acid burns from coke on the skin.

Snopes, while I doubt it is perfect, is pretty widely accepted as a bunk/debunk site. If you can find reputable proof the wormy pork thing is true, then by all means, please post it, and I'll let the mod of this section decide if they want to remove the "false" flag. Otherwise, I'm going with Snopes on this one and the flag stays.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

But the venerable local non-chain version is St. Elmo's which I'll put up against any of them. Killer shrimp cocktail and the steak's been maggot free since 1902

Not to change the subject...But I have been to St Elmo's many times when up in Indy for business.

And I agree its the best of the bunch you just listed. When they start to making chains out of what were once fine steakhouses the loose some of what made the great.

I love the fact St Elmo's has been around for over 100 years and the shrimp cocktail is the best.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
One thing you can be sure about, I'm gonna try it myself just to make sure.

Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
One thing you can be sure about, I'm gonna try it myself just to make sure.

Peace

Doc, if you waste a good steak on this experiment I will hunt you down. Use wormy, rotting meat. that way no steak lovers will be harmed in the process.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I could video tape me pouring coke on myself, pause the camera, get a makeup artist to paint horrible acid burns on my arm, set my camera to record the caption "2 minutes later", sit back in the same position, and have someone hit pause again, and by golly, it'd SHOW that I received acid burns from coke on the skin.

Do that! That'd be crazy looking!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join