It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof That Matter Has No Real Substance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Is Dark Energy An Illusion?

* 11:00 30 March 2007
* NewScientist.com news service
* David Shiga, London
space.newscientist.com...

The quickening pace of our universe's expansion may not be driven by a mysterious force called dark energy after all, but paradoxically, by the collapse of matter in small regions of space.

Astronomers were astonished to discover in 1998 that the expansion of the universe is happening at an ever-increasing rate. The mysterious repulsive force responsible for this was dubbed dark energy, though scientists still do not know what it is (see Dark energy: seeking the heart of darkness).

Now, physicist Syksy Rasanen of CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, says we might not need dark energy after all. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the increasing rate of expansion might be due to the collapse of small regions of the universe under gravity, he says.

My question is, if this matter is collapsing, doesn't that pretty much prove the idea that matter has no real substance?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
maybe matter has a soul?and it's tranformed into usable state of potential anti-matter?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Maybe none of this exsist and its all an electrical illusion ment to gather information on a massive scale.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ward8
maybe matter has a soul?and it's tranformed into usable state of potential anti-matter?

Well, if we follow Einstein's equation of E=Mc squared, then your idea is not impossible. Energy never dies or disappears but it changes form.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthOne
Maybe none of this exsist and its all an electrical illusion ment to gather information on a massive scale.

Earthone, well, from what I understand that's really all anything is. INFORMATION. Now, if you want to get complicated you can get into all of the mathematical delineations about this, but that's the way I understand it in its simplest form.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
your being niave to this.....the anti(dark) matter exist.but not right in front of you.it was transformed not gone.they just need to find out how to collect and interpret it

[edit on 29/03/07 by ward8]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

your being niave to this.....the anti matter exist.but not right in front of you.it was transformed not gone

That's What I said here:

Well, if we follow Einstein's equation of E=Mc squared, then your idea is not impossible. Energy never dies or disappears but it changes form.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Einstein called matter 'thought made concrete' if I read it correctly. Matter does not have to exist in real life - even electrons and photons can behave like matter or waves and now a $20 piece of equipment has shown that light can be detected simultaneously as matter and waves, something which seemed to be an immutable paradigm in Science for many years.

So what is it? Is it in braids, superstrings, other abstract nonsense or is all of it an illusion. Think of it this way Speaker, you do not need to see reality, all you know is what your senses tell you. Someone can give your brain the sensation of flying and you will believe you can fly.

Sorry to go off the subject but Dark matter is another name for Angels.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Heron, thats seems quite plausible. It's quite like the question, "Do the eyes see or does the brain?"

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Nice one Speaker. Who is the 'I' that sees? I can't really believe that the chair I am sitting on will disappear into collapsed waves and migrate to a parallel Universe. Every time I see this chair, it is still there. This makes me think that there is no quantum uncertainty and no Dark Energy and no collapsing matter. The world seems quite reliable and predictable to me as I am writing to you.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The world seems quite reliable and predictable to me as I am writing to you.

Yet, appearances are so,so deceptive.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
We've known that matter doesn't have much to it all along. for instance an atom is over 98% nothing. The protons,neutrons, and electrons don't take up much space at all.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So, are you saying " Matter doesn't matter?

What if we have gotton some of these theory's wrong? Is there empty space?, or is it filling up with more matter, atoms, electrons, protons and things smaller than that. Cells split to make two or more other cells right. Why not others things spliting, growing and making more and more matter or what ever the unseen force is. Maybe that's why the universe is expanding. Just speculating here

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, Solar Skye, supposedly there isn't any such thing as empty space. The idea is that there are vaccuums of packets in "empty space." However, exactly what the "packets" consist of is very much a matter of debate and opinion.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I hear matter actually tastes just like chicken.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

your being niave to this.....the anti(dark) matter exist.but not right in front of you.it was transformed not gone.they just need to find out how to collect and interpret it

[edit on 29/03/07 by ward8]

Dark matter is not anti matter and anti matter is not dark matter.

Dark Matter is matter like what makes up our bodies.

Anti matter is the opposite of the matter that makes up our bodies.

Don't mix the 2 as being one because they aren't.

Dark Matter is a theoretical matter thats the same as the matter we can observe, but is dark/invisible to astrological observations.

Dark Matter was invoked into existence by astro physicists to account for the missing mass that would be needed to account for certain observed phenomenon in cosmology.

Anti matter is a theoretical and experimentaly confirmed matter that is the exact opossite of the matter we see around us and which, when it comes in contact with normal matter, results in an cataclysmic destruction of both matter and anti matter resulting in a burst of energy equivalent to E=MC².

Matter and Anti matter combined form a complete and utter conversion of the 2 matters into energy.

The Dark Matter/Energy astro physicists talk about is most likely the same or a result of the quantum vacuum energy that quantum physicists talk about in theory and validated to exist trough experimentation (Casimir Effect experiments).

top topics

join