It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New breeds of computers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Have any of you heard of the future technologies of computers? I remember reading an article about several ideas for future computers. One such was a "Quantum Computer". This computer is supposed to use electrons and somehow use them to create lightning fast proccesses. Another idea was for some type of a biological computer. Now don't quote me on this, but i think it uses DNA to somehow transfer data? Now im not 100% sure on that, i will have to verify that later, but what ideas have any of you heard, or what ideas do you have that you think computer industries should implement?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
wow bio-computers??? make sure you post any info on these if you find any...

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
First game-playing DNA computer revealed

The first game-playing DNA computer has been revealed - an enzyme-powered tic-tac-toe machine that cannot be beaten.

The human player makes his or her moves by dropping DNA into 3 by 3 square of wells that make up the board. The device then uses a complex mixture of DNA enzymes to determine where it should place its nought or cross, and signals its move with a green glow.

The device, dubbed MAYA, was developed by Milan Stojanovic, at Columbia University in New York, and Darko Stefanovic, at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. Kobi Benenson, who works on other DNA approaches at the Weizmann Institute in Israel, says the work demonstrates the most complex use of molecules as logic gates to date, and "represents a significant advance in DNA computing."

www.newscientist.com...?=DNA%20tech

DNA computer sets record with four-step calculation

The first four-step calculation using a pure DNA "computer" has been made. The device was created in a test tube from self-assembling rectangular "tiles" of DNA.

Only one calculation was performed in this experiment. But Ned Seeman at New York University, who led the group, says that several calculations could be performed in parallel. "We could easily have performed 16 simultaneous calculations in there."

The final gel produced read the result of the calculation, and the researchers found some lines that corresponded to errors. "I think we had about a 5% error rate," says Seeman.

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I heard something a while back about how human cells were being grown on silicon chips or something like that...don't really remember the details but this is interesting.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Yes a quantum ocmputer will be VERY VERY FAST.
So fast infact it can break encryption in not much time at all...event he hardest encryptions...Sot aht's why the governemnt wouldn't want it released to the public.

Also terhe is anotehr sort of computer....it uses light to tranfer the data around the cpu, boards, etc.
Basically a computer that instead of using electrical signals for on/off 1,0....It uses light which is much more quicker.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   
A while ago I read a pc book and there was a story in it about something they predicted to get released around 2015 they said. It was a computer which used several colored fluideds. I don't know much more about it because it was around 1 year or so ago when I read it.

I may have found a link to same kind of tech story

gtresearchnews.gatech.edu...

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   
www.ijee.dit.ie...

www.oit.doe.gov...

qubit.plh.af.mil...

www.popsci.com...

for the first part you need acrobat reader

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
At some point in the future (probably not near future), I think someone's going to design a biological computer which is a replica of the human brain - it has vast amounts of space and can think in many ways a computer could not understand (ie emotion). A brain computer would be interesting, but kind of scary - it makes me think that the Matrix might become possible at one point (machines developing emotion and rising against humans).

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
A biological computer is going to be the next step, and if it is at all possible to create synthetic grey matter then AI is going to come quickly into existance. We have the technology at this point to program and design a synthetic brain of sorts, however the main problem has been with storage of the vast amounts of input and data that would be involved. When you think about it, we respond to situations every day based on experience/input, as it is said we are simply products of our environment.

However a Quantum computer would be interesting, Id love to see Doom 3 run on one of those.

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by daeldren]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There are already computers that are part biological but not AIs ...They use living tissue to test water quality. I believe its a combination of rabblt tissue and computers. The electronic component detects changes in the living tissue submerged in samples of drinking water. This is one of the newer tools used to detect evidence of bio warfare Freakayy....AY?
--Kristine

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren
However a Quantum computer would be interesting, Id love to see Doom 3 run on one of those.

At this point, you'll just about have to have one to run Doom 3.

I think the gov't will crack down on civillians owning any type of quantum computer. It will be military hardware for years before they allow the private sector to have such a powerful tool.

top topics

join