It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twenty Fifth Anniversary of the start of the Falklands War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Today, April 2nd 2007, is the 25th anniversary of the start of the Falklands War between the United Kingdom and Argentina.

It is twenty five years ago today that Argentine forces - under orders from General Leopold Galtieri, the military dictator of Argentina at the time - landed on the Falkland Islands.

By the time Argentine forces on the Islands surrendered on 14th June 1982, there had been 258 British and 649 Argentine deaths as well as 3 islanders.

Worth sparing a thought for them today.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I remember when this happened. I was in basic training and had just finished. I was at my graduation and was talking to my parents when they told me. I was shocked. We hadn't gotten any news during basic training and I thought the idea of England at war like that was .... absurd.
It just seemed so strange ...

Isn't England getting ready to hand that land over now? Or have I been given bad information.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My uncle (Fathers brother) was involved in that war. He never told me much about it though, he doesn't really seem to have an interest in telling anyone about it.

Come to think of it, most of my family has been involved in warfare of some kind except for my father and I. I just hope we can keep it that way.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Isn't England getting ready to hand that land over now? Or have I been given bad information.

Nope, the UK has stated that it will not hand the islands over to Argentina without the inhabitants giving their consent (presumably by some kind of referendum or something). Argentina still claims the islands as its own, however.

new topics

top topics

join