Feinstein Leaves Senate Defense Panel Amid Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If you remember the Eddie Murphy movie where he was a con man who went into politics and found that there was more money to be made in politics as a congressman then as a conman....he wasn't too far off the mark.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
Really? I consider her a whacko, but that's just me.

Well everything is relative. Compared to the other Senator from the great state of California (Barbara Boxer), she looks like a level headed conservative.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'll stand by what i said earlier. this item is under reported because the liberal news media wants to play partisan protector, and the conservatives will want to save this good ammo for use as we get closer to the primaries. thre is one more thing to consider. Because the Republicans no longer dominatethe government, they won't be able to make as much hay with this as they could have, back in the day.

As the Democrats rise to a super majority, you'll see more bad behavior like this. The Republicans did it, and now its the turn of the Democrats to have their fill at the public trough. Not even the likes of Barack Obama and his feel-good message will slow don this piggish trend. the good news? The Demare likely to be the ones who break things just enough to force a collapse that will allow the rest of us to step in and do some fix-and-clean. Might not be as many reforms as we'd like, but it'll be better than what we're getting a taste of now.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Whether or not impropieties occured is really irrelevant. In politics appearance is all. It appears improprieties may have occured, therefore, they did. At least to ones opponants. Your allies will have nothing to say for fear of being smeared by the brush. Should this thing have wheels, I think, Senator Feinstien will find herself very much alone. Innocent 'til proven guilty doesn't apply in modern American politics.

Anyway...this seems like as good a place as any to renew my call for... *drumroll please* term limits for all elected officials.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If you start a new thread to discuss term limits, let me know. My large caliber guns can always benefit from more target practice.

In regards to Feinstein, I think she did the politically smart thing. I don't agree with her politics, but she did the smart thing by stepping away. If I was her paid political advisor, I would have recommended that she do exactly what she did. It's harder ot prosecute when the trail is cold.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Politically she did indeed do the right thing, stepping away was the smart thing to do.

I'll think about that thread, though. I get a distinct impression we'd disagree...though maybe not.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Actually, I am for term limits. If you're looking for somebody who is not for term limits, ask donwhite. He can make his case quite eloquently.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
He certainly is against. He and I have agreed to disagree on many subjects. However strongly we disagree, we've always come away with respect for the thought process behind our opinion, at least on my part.

I'm not the worlds greatest debator, I'd certainly enjoy seeing you two go at it.

All that off topic typing.

We should reserve judgement on what, or what didn't, happen. That's why we have investigations afterall.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I was reading up on some of the earlier articles and wanted to share part of an article concerning Veterans and funding for VA programs and the Senators husband Blum.

Full StoryThe MILCON subcommittee is not only in charge of supervising military construction, it also oversees "quality of life" issues for veterans, which includes building housing for military families and operating hospitals and clinics for wounded soldiers. Perhaps Feinstein is trying to disassociate herself from MILCON's incredible failure to provide decent medical care for wounded soldiers.

Two years ago, before the Washington Post became belatedly involved, the online magazine Salon.com exposed the horrors of deficient medical care for Iraq war veterans. While leading MILCON, Feinstein had ample warning of the medical-care meltdown. But she was not proactive on veteran's affairs.

Feinstein abandoned MILCON as her ethical problems were surfacing in the media, and as it was becoming clear that her subcommittee left grievously wounded veterans to rot while her family was profiting from the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. It turns out that Blum also holds large investments in companies that were selling medical equipment and supplies and real estate leases—often without the benefit of competitive bidding—to the Department of Veterans Affairs, even as the system of medical care for veterans collapsed on his wife's watch.

As of December 2006, according to SEC filings and www.fedspending.org, three corporations in which Blum's financial entities own a total of $1 billion in stock won considerable favor from the budgets of the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs:

Boston Scientific Corporation: $17.8 million for medical equipment and supplies; 85 percent of contracts awarded without benefit of competition.

Kinetic Concepts Inc.: $12 million, medical equipment and supplies; 28 percent noncompetitively awarded.

CB Richard Ellis: The Blum-controlled international real estate firm holds congressionally funded contracts to lease office space to the Department of Veterans Affairs. It also is involved in redeveloping military bases turned over to the private sector.

So on top of the money made we can now add mistreatment and profiteering of our nation's Veterans, some of the recent VA problems can be found here: 5 Deaths at Los Angeles VA Facility Prompt Investigation

The Senator chimed in yesterday on another related project in Cali:

Feinstein: Santa Susana Field Lab cleanup must meet Superfund ...
U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) today urged the Department of Energy to offer assurances that the cleanup of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory meets Superfund standards. The Energy Department is currently in the process of cleaning the site of radioactive and other chemical contaminants.

The following is the text of the letter sent by Senator Feinstein today to Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman:
See article for the rest

In the past these types of letters ended up in announcements of companies tied to her husband announcing govt contracts being awarded,
I believe I read in one of these that Blum had stepped away from the 2 companies named in the allegation but he is also tied in with real estate dealings and I am wondering if Blum/Feinstein have any potential profit on the proposed residential projects at Santa Susana.

[edit on 2007/4/6 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just adding that this is now being reported in France, here's a snip:

Feinstein resigns post amid ’conflict of interest’ questions

Acknowledging that the senator has now stepped down from the subcommittee, the NLPC spokesman offers : « I think what’s needed now, though, is a thorough investigation. »

But evidently Boehm does not expect that to happen. He says if the conflict of interest involved a Republican senator, an investigation would likely already be under way and the media would be having a field day. But because Feinstein is a Democrat, he believes there will be no investigation — and he expects the media will continue to ignore the story.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well now. If the Feinstein thing isn't enough for you, try this on for size.

Edwards campaign scandal.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm really surprised ast how busy I've been this weekend. Seems that a lot of people are just now finding out about the recent sins of Diane Feinstein and John Edwards.

I'm just as outraged as anyone else, but we've all got to remember that what we're seeing is the current culmination of a century's worth of bad behavior. Politicians like Feinstein and Edwards clearly have no regard forthe people they represent. In their world view, we're all just suckers waiting to be conned. If they don't do it to us, somebody else will.

The simple truth is that abuses like these happen almost every day. They are part of the larger trend I talk about. Feinstein's influence peddling is bold only because she knew before she did it that she'd get away with it. In truth, I think we have seen an escalation. From now on, Federal level politicans will fleece us for more money than they ever have before.

The John Edwards scam is old school opportunism. He's clearly not playing for the big money like Representative Feinstein.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
I'll stand by what i said earlier. this item is under reported because the liberal news media wants to play partisan protector, and the conservatives will want to save this good ammo for use as we get closer to the primaries.

I found this Wash Post piece about the former nominee for Homeland security chief Bernard Kerik, who was summarily dropped as a nominee has now resurfaced "BIGTIME", and this reminded me of your post.

I think this falls into the saving ammo suggestion that you made, it is an interesting read not to mention interesting timing but is this bullet being fired too soon?

White House Looked Past Alarms on Kerik

The investigation has put Giuliani's relationship with Kerik back in the spotlight at a time when the former mayor leads the Republican presidential field in national polls. During an appearance in Florida last weekend, Giuliani told reporters that they had a right to question his judgment in putting Kerik in charge of the New York Police Department and recommending him to Bush. "I should have done a better job of investigating him, vetting him," Giuliani said. "It's my responsibility, and I've learned from it."

When will the Feinstein bullet be fired?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
When will the Feinstein bullet be fired? That's a good question. Right now, the mainstream media is busy running interference for Nancy Pelosi, whom the conservative talking heads are having great fun with. I'm still hip deep in reading, trying to do my own homework. Has the Speaker of the House done something illegal by meeting with the Syrians? I'm not a lawyer, but so far my reading says "no."

The Logan ammendment says, in effect, that no other person other than the President or their duely appointed representative shall engage in dipolomacy, or make policy. Meetings or consltations might look bad, but unless they result in a defined policy or a signed treaty...I have more reading to do.

My guess is that it'll be a few weeks before the Edwards or Feinstein actions are brought up. Even so, you can bet the blogosphere will run with them. I know that I have.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I found another interesting potential conflict, looking at the Senators assets, she and her husband own a substanial amount of stock ($1M+) in a company called RAE systems, who is RAE? here's a snip from their website
The Company’s products are used by many U.S. government agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice, and the Department of State, as well as all branches of the U.S. military, and by numerous city and state agencies. RAE Systems’ end users also include many of the world’s leading corporations in the airline, automotive, computer, and oil industries. RAE Systems’ products are used in civilian and government atmospheric monitoring programs in over 50 countries.

Here is a link to RAE's 2004 4th qtr report.
RAE Report
It is an interesting company with you guessed it government contracts, the company is into some very talked about industries these days, anything here? I don't know, this could just be the standard operating procedure of those who are supposed to be Our representatives.

By the people for the people?
.......Right

more like --- "By BIG Business for BIG Business"

Here is the link to Senator Feinsteins assets disclosed in 05
Feinstein (click on assets)

You can check up on ALL of our representatives finances, campaigns etc. at that site.

I have to go back and see if there are any other govt associated contracting companies that are in the fine Senators portfolio..

[edit on 2007/4/8 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
OK here is the Halliburton is the root of all evil crowd weighing in.

STONE THE LOT OF THEM!!!

One is as bad as the other and both are bad for the American people. There should be set aside a special punishment for leaders who abuse the trust of the American people and their positions in government. Profiteering in the face of war is not justified at all. But then once the profit motive is removed, what would we possibly go to war over?????

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The relationships you're talking about are "normal" in D.C. politics. It's quite possible to do something that ps perfectly legal, but...that doesn't always make it a "good" thing.

In her case, I'm glad to see that Representative Feinstein did step down from her committee chairmanship, but it really is a small gesture of false contrition. She and hers will still have the money gained through her government connections.

So, what's to be done? Think about that before you answer. What sort of realistic control need to be put in to place? I think it's time for spousal business relationships to matter. I think it's time they became a part of the public record, and, I think its time for politicians to be barred from serving on committees that directly benefit their spousal relationships.

What says you?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Easter Sunday a peaceful protest was held outside Senator Feinstein's home, the groups were there to protest for two reasons, one of them called on the Senator to return war profits that the Senator and her husband Richard Blum earned while the senator was on the subcomittee handling contracts the companies were awarded.

Feinsteins people continue to deny any "conflict of interest"

I don't think the American people are going to fall for that weak argument and it seems day after day unfortunately for the senator, this story is not going to go away...

www.fogcityjournal.com...

[edit on 2007/4/9 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
An interesting letter to the Appleton Post-Crescent is also wondering "why?"...

MSM is sitting on this story and the writer wonders how can we expect to have good government when the bodies of Congress themselves remain silent on Feinstein's "conflict of interest" allegations.

IMO there should be at the least an investigation to either affirm or deny the accusations..

Another interesting tidbit is concerning Feinstein's current quest to investigate the recent firings by the Attorney General, it seems that the Senator is now attacking the AG for politics, considering the fired US Attorney from her state, was under scrutiny by the Senator herself and her concerns about the US Attorney was documented in a Jun 15, 2006 letter to the AG.

judiciary.house.gov

While she is busy on her current witch hunt concerning the AG, she did find time to let the orange growers in her state, hit hard by the winter freezes, not to expect federal aid for at least six months.

I guess the powers that be have completely succeeded in their "divide and conquer", the American people, I am not talkin Democrats, I am not talkin Republicans, I am talking about the entire current US political scene.

They have us arguing "war on Terror", "oil prices", "global warming", "health scares", "illegal aliens", "bird flu", "animal rights", "religion", "homeland security", the list goes on and on....

While we as citizens are losing our civil rights, our elected are laughin all the way to the bank...

I hear a big sucking sound, like when you pull the tub drain.....

Your money is the water, how long until there is nothing left to drain?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I did hear some of the conservative radio show guys talking about this matter earlier in the week, but it doesn't appear to have gotten any traction. You can bet that it will re-surface later in this election cycle.

In the mean time, you might want to look at the head to head debates forum. I'm having an interesting session with xpert11 over the pros and cons of internment camps for illegals. Could be some good reading.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join