It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you suggest in the place of cultural awareness threads?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
You're right, phoenixhasrisin. But it doesn't mean that notable conspiracists of color do not exist. Since this is a board that is based on conspiracy and that it involves itself into a plethora of thought in this area (as well as people who have done the same), wouldn't it make perfect sense to at least invite someone of color to discuss their views about conspiracy so there are different views entertained here?

Of course they exist, but to be honest, I couldn't name one that does not end up at the whole "world wide, white supremacist, children of the devil" cul-de-sac.

I would like to think that there must be some that do exist though...

Let me ask you: Do you think that there are no "conspiracists of colour" represented here because of a choice, or because that's just how it turns out?

[edit on 5-4-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
I'm just being real. Show me one member with a substantial post history, who has sustained that level of civility 100% of the time, and I will be humbled.

I've never been warned once.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Are you asking that the conspiracist of color give there opinions on racial matters? I can see the tie in there, but I don't see as how having a conspiracist of color talking of conspiracies helps portray anything except that all people can be curious about such things. Besides, I don't think ATS presents itself as intolerant to people of color, because simply, can't see nobody on the web.

I myself can't think of any 'mainstream' conspiracists that aren't white, but all I really know, is the the big three - lear, jones and icke, and don't pay much attention to them anyways.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

It's not about warnings shar.

You can be out of line without gaining a warning. I don't have any warnings either, but I have occasionaly strayed.

But I retire, many of you are perfect. OK?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline

But I retire, many of you are perfect. OK?

Seriously, what does all that have to do with the point of this thread?

Then again, this is coming from someone on their third or fourth profile after numerous warnings, and bans.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally quoted by Spacedoubt

ceci

I see what you mean, an official invitation.
Most conspiracists that I know, I have only heard on the radio.
I had no idea of their race, until they themselves mentioned it.
Which they sometimes do, if they are representing a native American tribe, for example.

I welcome anyone, of any color, to contribute.
I'd suggest, that if you have any particular's in mind, that you mention it to staff. Staff with a little more "pull" than myself. LOL

Send them a U2U, with a name..Or just plain lay it out for for all of us to see, in a thread. Did you have anyone in mind?

I thank you for your suggestion, Spacedoubt. However, I don't have anyone in mind right now. And it's true for myself that most of the conspiracy theorists I know have been either from listening to Coast to Coast or from reading their books (such as Nick Pope, Art Bell, Whitley Streiber, John Mack, Father Malachy and Hans Holzer).

But, I've heard of people such as Sophia Stewart. However, Ms. Stewart is rather controversial in her own right because she had written books about "The Matrix" and that she has rather deeply religious views (from what I understand). And, people have different views about her because of her lawsuits in Hollywood over the "Matrix" movies. But her view of the Matrix is rather fascinating to say the least.

I've also heard of a Black man (which I can't think of his name) who has been interviewed by George Nourri a while back. He was abducted along with his family in deep South, I believe. (If anyone remembers the interview or knows his name, please do post it here.) I remember him because he had a different perception about alien abductions and race--especially with what the "Grey's" want with humans.

It stood out to me because most abductees have been white.

But, I think that this is an area that needs to be researched possibly in the future to add to the guest speakers that come from time to time. And, I'm just asking for this not to be ruled out. I would also implore that this area to be considered, that's all.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
huh?

This is my first profile. My first forum.

Care to enlighten me of my previous three or four?

Who are you?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
What do you suggest in the place of cultural awareness threads?

And it's going to stick to that topic.

Period.

Mod Note: Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Gotcha.

I can see how an abduction story, could be presented in a whole different light, when experienced through a different cultural background. The presentation of such a story could reveal to others, who may not share that background, a whole new way to see the world, and things beyond this world.

My only question is that should we purposely seek out notables, because of their color? I would hate to reject a famous conspiracist, because they didn't meet such a criteria.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Gotcha.

I can see how an abduction story, could be presented in a whole different light, when experienced through a different cultural background. The presentation of such a story could reveal to others, who may not share that background, a whole new way to see the world, and things beyond this world.

Thank you for saying that. The reason that I would think that such an guest interview would be interesting because it would not only open up further knowledge about conspiracy, but it would put this aspect into a different spin. Furthermore, it would be a quiet note that the board is truly interested in hearing from all perspectives instead of just one.

It would also help in the notion of having sensitivity for the ideas of people from all walks of life instead of paying it lip service--through just the words of "denying hate" or "denying ignorance".

It would prove that the Staff and the Administration actually took some steps in this area instead of just saying it. And it would also present the idea that ATS truly did welcome a plethora of voices instead of the same old ones in terms of conspiracy theory. They've done this through letting women speak on conspiracy matters. We've just have to extend this notion a little bit more.

My only question is that should we purposely seek out notables, because of their color? I would hate to reject a famous conspiracist, because they didn't meet such a criteria.

Well did they ask David Icke or John Lear because of their race? It seems that the "invisible knapsack" rears its ugly head here as well.

I don't see how this would be any different, except that it would be nice to note that there are people of color researching in these areas that are notable. They also wouldn't be asked just because of their race, but because they are conspiracy theorists. And furthermore, because of their difference in cultural background, they might shed a different view about current events and conspiracy theory other than the perspective, to be frank, of white males.

It's not to say that one view is better than another. It's just shedding some light on how conspiracy theory might be viewed by a person of color. And if people got the chance to hear from someone of color in this light, this might help with adding a little more empathy to the views of all of us--instead of just one manner of thinking.

Again, I would like to reiterate that this is a small request to ask. But, it is rather an important one because it transcends thought by the Staff and the Administrators into action. And, it's a start with trying to rework the approach of race-related treads. But, it would be nice if issues of tolerance would be welcomed where it is needed the most--by having other insights into conspiracy theory by persons who aren't part of the "same mold".

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin

Let me ask you: Do you think that there are no "conspiracists of colour" represented here because of a choice, or because that's just how it turns out?

I don't know, to tell you the truth. Thinking in a socio-cultural perspective though, I perceive that the reason why there aren't any featured here because there hasn't been any thought in this area due to catering to one perspective that features a majority of the members here.

You'd think that people would just choose guest speakers across the board racially just because they can.

But when no one thinks along these lines, then it just doesn't occur to anyone to bring them up. That's all.

I would certainly hope that someone does consider some conspiracists of color when they choose guest speakers here, though. It would show that they care about having diverse opinions here.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hey, what's an invisible knapsack?
Really, I don't know what that is, or means!

On Lear, and Icke. I don't know if they were approached, or vice versa.
Maybe one of the Amigos, can answer that one.

What if the culture of the "white male" includes natural predilection to paranoia?
I mean, what if that is the reason that the white male is dominant in the conspiracy world?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Hey, what's an invisible knapsack?
Really, I don't know what that is, or means!

Dr. Peggy McIntosh wrote about "white privilege" being an "invisible knapsack" of unearned benefits white people receive as a matter of skin color and birth. Truthseeka did an entire thread about this notion in "Social Issues", but it was one of the threads that was closed.

On Lear, and Icke. I don't know if they were approached, or vice versa.
Maybe one of the Amigos, can answer that one.

I would also like their insight on this aspect as well. I also would like them to answer how they might address issues of tolerance when it has to do with diversity on the board. SO kinda did so with his earlier statements, but I would like him to clarify this aspect more.

And unfortunately, it's not as easy as purporting that when one is online that one can't see the other's race. I think the race-relations threads alone prove that people can't leave their race and cultural perspective behind when they discuss current events.

What if the culture of the "white male" includes natural predilection to paranoia?
I mean, what if that is the reason that the white male is dominant in the conspiracy world?

I don't know. It would be a neat research study to find out if this was the case, though.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think it would be lovely to have guest speakers of colour, but I wouldn't want to exclude any suitable guest speaker we could get our hands on based on race. I'm pretty sure that's not what you are suggesting, however.

I honestly think Spacedoubt has put it best - if there is someone that would be appropriate, please let one of the Amigo's know. Even better, if you know of someone who fits the bill and has things to talk about, contact them and see if they would be interested in doing it and then pass along the info. I don't think anyone would get mad at someone showing initiative.

After all, they can't possibly be aware of every CTer on the planet.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yes, Duzey, I don't want just to pick someone just based on race. However, it would be nice just to see attempts to widen the avenue of guest speakers out there--especially if they don't reflect the "usual" type of conspiracist thinker. If deconstructing stereotypes is what the board sponsors, then this would certainly help in that regard.

Instead, I am asking for a little bit of variety, that's all. I think it would be neat if we could get a conspiracist of color to speak to us. Not only would it make the board look good; it would also provide new ways of thinking to mull over.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Otherwise, I'm still waiting from the Admins or the staff in terms of addressing the issues of tolerance on the board. I know that it is rather hard to discuss and that sometimes people will throw everything but the kitchen sink to avoid such a thing. But, it would be nice to see how people stand on this topic--especially in noting that there are members of color here on the boards. It would benefit us all to hear how the staff and the Administration view the issue of race as well as what they can do to promote understand amongst all people here based on their cultural heritage and thinking.

And thanks for your u2u, Spacedoubt. I will u2u back when I have a little more time.

[edit on 6-4-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It would benefit us all to hear how the staff and the Administration view the issue of race as well as what they can do to promote understand amongst all people here based on their cultural heritage and thinking.

I'm under the impression that the administration of ATS does not take official positions on issues. As far as I am aware, they do their best to remain neutral on the issues discussed on the board. I believe they have a policy of NOT promoting subjects or concerns.

It is my observation that they DO already advocate tolerance of all views (except for the illegal and very extreme). I'm not sure they're obligated to do anything to prove this further than stating it, which they have. And allowing it, which they do.

But, it would be nice to see how people stand on this topic--especially in noting that there are members of color here on the boards.

If I'm not mistaken, I think a thread on tolerance would be welcome in the social issues forum to find out how members feel.

My opinion on a black CT, if he or she is good, I'm all for it. But again, I don't know if it's the "board's" obligation to go out and hunt down a black CT to prove their position on tolerance or equality.

Ceci, if you could find a person you'd be interested in inviting, perhaps you could then take it to the administration and see how that goes. (Look for a woman, too!)

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In this case, I would not like another explaination from a member in terms of what the staff or Administration does in terms of discussing tolerance and race. They need to come forward themselves to discuss this momentous matter.

I would like the staff or the Administration to address issues of race and tolerance without pussyfooting around. They have a policy about everything else on the board, why not on issues of tolerance and cultural awareness?

The last time I looked, cultural awareness was not beholden to one polemical attitude. It is based on an issue of not only courtesy, empathy and conscience. And I think on these grounds, there deserves to be an answer.

I would hate to think that the previous comment is the only explaination. I would appreciate a brave soul from the staff and the Administration to come in and discuss their feelings about race and tolerance as a way of doing something instead of taking pleasure with letting that "invisible knapsack" being filled due to overwhelming and acceptable silence.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

In this case, I would not like another explaination from a member in terms of what the staff or Administration does in terms of discussing tolerance and race. They need to come forward themselves to discuss this momentous matter.

I would like the staff or the Administration to address issues of race and tolerance without pussyfooting around. They have a policy about everything else on the board, why not on issues of tolerance and cultural awareness?

I did that with my OWN personal views and it was laughed, shouted, obfuscated down, then closed because what I said was not what some members wanted to here.

So much for the pussy-footing.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, I can't help that you posted a rant and knowingly used a member's post to incite an orgy of prejudice against non-white people.

I'm sorry that you don't feel the least bit of conscience over what you did.

But that is neither here nor there. And I have nothing more to say on this matter.

I would like to hear responses to the issue of tolerance and cultural awareness now. I do not want to get into an argument over your thread or other past business.

The pertinent issue has to do with how the Staff and the Administration will deal with tolerance and cultural awareness on the board.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You Are Entering The Neutral Zone

All staff members are, first and foremost, members. So we each have our opinions and are entitled to express them as members.

However, none of us is entitled to speak on behalf of all members, nor would it be appropriate for ATS to take a position on any issue (other than the forum rules themselves).

From the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use:

Originally posted by SimonGray

6b) Neutrality: AboveTopSecret.com LLP provides a forum for discussing a wide variety of subjects, but does not endorse any particular theory, opinion, viewpoint or position on any topic. Furthermore, though operating costs are supported by advertising and promotional revenue, AboveTopSecret.com LLP does not officially endorse or promote any commercial product or service.

ATS exists to provide a forum for members to share opinions and discuss topics of interest.

It does not exist to promote any particular point of view or advocate any cause, no matter how noble or just it might seem, except one...

Denying Ignorance.

To that end, members are free to discuss subjects like race and racial prejudice in an environment which is tolerant of differing points of view.

But exactly what those points of view should be is a decision members must make for themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join