It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you suggest in the place of cultural awareness threads?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I hope you've got plenty of coffee if you're looking for a time when SO crossed the line.

For the most part, I think people do all have their slipups. God knows I've hit a few people with both barrels in the past, although for the second half of my time here I've tried pretty hard to be a nice guy.

Even still, I believe that most of the members most of the time will try to follow reasonable guidelines if they are provided, and that would reduce the moderator workload and make it more fun to post here- because nobody likes having to be corrected.

Enforcement is necessary at times, but I have great faith in the ability of members to rise to the occasion and set a brilliant example of how to discuss even the most contentious issues facing our society, as long as we can provide them with a guide as to how, and not just expect them to each invent the wheel on their own.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
I'm just being real. Show me one member with a substantial post history, who has sustained that level of civility 100% of the time, and I will be humbled.

I have a substantial post history and have only been warned for a single post, and that was just because I quoted Ann Coulter (?). The person who warned me is no longer on the staff anymore anyway

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I was actually shocked to hear that a little accessed thread ended up closed. There were 1 or 2 instances of people making stupid comments, but they left the discussion early on.

Real Talk about Minority Privilege

Originally posted by TheBandit795
This thread, and all similar threads will be closed as of now. Until further notice we will not allow any of these kinds of threads to be started again, and we will not allow anyone to complain about it. This is a group decision, because these few threads are taking up much more moderating time than necessary.

Once again.
-This thread and all similar threads in social issues will be closed with no exceptions.
-We will not allow any new threads to be opened that are similar to the (to be) closed ones.
-Any of those new threads will be trashed immediately.
-No complaints about this group mod action.

Thank you,

Bandit

This thread was the first that I read of the mass closing, and was a little confused. As far as I could see, those truly involved had distinct and valid points, that were not racist, or against T&C. I felt that this instance was unwarranted. I also misconstrued (I hope) TheBandit's post as saying that race was no longer to be discussed on A,B,or PTS.

I can understand why many threads were closed though. There were a few times that I thought of asking some other members to chime in on the subject, but then realized they were busy in the 10 other similar threads. I think that's what allowed the thread to stay on topic, and civil. It was under the radar, so no one knew enough to come to it and mess it up.

I'd like to say here that I enjoyed the debate with Semperfortis and BenevolentHeretic in this thread. It was very stimulating, and really got me thinking about a lot of things.

I hope that we can continue these types of discussions in the future. I know that my experiences have been eye opening, and I hope that others can stand to have their eyes opened. You know, Deny Ignorance and all.

Ras.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'd like to say here that I enjoyed the debate with Semperfortis and BenevolentHeretic in this thread. It was very stimulating, and really got me thinking about a lot of things.

I feel exactly the same! I love it when people make me think! I think it's really important that these discussions are permitted to continue. I am learning a lot from several people (definitely you, Ras) and that's why it's important for us all to strictly adhere to the T&C so these threads don't get closed.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Just chiming in....

BH and Raso made me think on an entire different level with our exchange of information on that particular thread....

Raso especially caused me to look at the other race threads in a different light and a more open demeanor...

That was the only thread I was really sad to see go...

Semper

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
True Censorship

Looking at what's been said so far, a thought comes to mind.

In our forums, true censorship means discouraging members from being able to express their honest opinions on the issues.

I think we can agree that dealing with the problems we face in these racism threads is not easy.

However, it needs to be done, and I want to be able to reopen some or all of these threads.

Let's Work Together On This

So here's a first step. Let's get back to basics and go with what has always worked in the past: the T&C.

The root of this problem is a failure on the part of some members to honor the T&C and cooperate with the staff.

This can be changed, and you can help by working with us to change it.

Moving Forward

I have asked the moderator staff to be particularly diligent in managing threads like these going forward.

I want them to edit or remove disruptive posts (i.e, that attack other members or derail the discussion), aggressively red flag repeat offenders (who already know better) and post ban and refer to me any member who doesn't cooperate with the staff.

I don't want any more arguing with the mods in the threads.

Remember that moderators are expected to moderate discussion and are fully empowered to intervene at their discretion whenever they think something is wrong. If a mod gives you instructions, follow them.

If you disagree with a mod or think you have been given improper instructions, discuss the problem with that mod via U2U and submit a complaint if that proves to be unsatisfactory.

DO NOT launch into a drama-fest in a thread or try to fight the staff.

That will not go well. :shk:

The More Things Stay The Same

My goal is to be fair but firm, and do what needs to be done without being heavy-handed or disrespectful to our members, most of whom don't need to be told any of this.

Members with candid opinions on the issues and who post them in accordance with the T&C don't need to change anything.

On the other hand, we are committed to helping members who are having problems complying with the T&C get on board and participate constructively as members in our community.

To that end, as always, I'm open to ideas.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
Show me one member with a substantial post history, who has sustained that level of civility 100% of the time, and I will be humbled.
\

>8000 posts and never warned once.
Does that qualify?

It's really pretty simple, don't attack your fellow member, if one is "attacking you" report it via complaints/suggestions.

I have "disarmed" more people with my sickeningly sweet rhetoric and logical rebuttals than I could have ever pissed off by being churlish and obvious about it.

There is simply nothing gained or advanced by a bunch of tacky remarks about a poster/member, nobody comes here to read what one member thinks about another member, they come here to see what other people are thinking about the world we live in.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ease down there mob.
I said member (one with no financial vested interest in the site), and you all understand my point anyways.

:edit: to add smiley, as to not construe anything other than light heartedness.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by nextguyinline]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Over 7500 posts and no warns.

Sorry, next guy. But if you call for something, you can believe you're gonna get it around here!

We're all family, though. That's what matters.

And yes, I totally understand your point. Everyone has a bad hair day.
We're all human.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Oh, sweet heretic, little red flags don't denote straying out of the line. Just when one is busted.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Good absolutely safe, unprovable cop out next guy. Just for that, I'm going to read everything ever posted by BH and report back. Ir, I could just quote everything and put it in this thread for proof.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No, don't do that!
Uh... it would take too much time... yeah, that's it.

Let's get back on topic, shall we?
It's important that we get back on topic.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If you're looking for dirt on members who have never been warned, you may want to go REALLY far back in the ancient civs forum, to when i was still in my ATS diapers. Thank god I'm so handsome or they would have nailed me for sure (my buddah-like figure makes me look innocent) .

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've never been warned.

Not sure if you'd call it a substantial post history though

Probably not.

[edit on 3/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Although it's nice to discuss who posted without any warns, I would like to try and keep it back on topic with some immediate concerns. I feel honored that the staff, Administration and members have posted to my thread.

However, I still feel that the issue of what the board will do in terms of encouraging tolerance has not been adequately addressed. Let's get past the "you can't legislate feelings" spiel and focus on more concrete solutions here.

I, for one, would like to know what we can do not only in terms of staff decisions of enforcement of the T and C; but, also what can we propose in terms of content to address different aspects of race-related matter.

I know that people would not like to "see" this aspect of the board, but I have noticed that every week there was a new thread about race popping up somewhere--whether it was in rants in BTS or in ATS (with the stories discussing politicians of color). So, I think that with the emphasis that members have put on race regarding a plethora of topics on the board, what can be done to encourage an understanding of different cultural views and of course, promote cultural awareness?

We know that there are people from all backgrounds here. Yet, we tend to see one view emphasized when it comes to race-related matters in politics and conspiracy. How can we make these aspects welcoming for conspiracists of all colors? Such as, are there any notable conspiracists of color who could be invited to discuss their take on how they see current events? That would be very interesting.

I'll say a bit more on what people have suggested, but I wanted to put that out there for others to read.

Again, I give you my thanks for participating in this thread.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I would imagine that keeping things simple would be the best route.

Respecting others, even if they may come across as ignorant.
Ignorance is not a sin.
Discovering ignorance is an opportunity to teach. but not to preach.

As far as conspiracists of all colors, Aren't we doing that now?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Spacedoubt, I meant whether we could invite notable conspiracists of color to discuss their views on current events and what they are researching. I don't think we've entertained this avenue a lot when we have had guest speakers. Although I've been here a year, we've had David Icke and John Lear. I've read their interviews here as well as heard them on Coast to Coast. But, I'm asking if there are anyone of color out there to get yet another perspective on consipiracy. The oldies might point out who else has been here and correct me if there has actually been a speaker of color here.

After all, there hasn't been a lot done in terms of entertaining the views of notable conspiracists of color.

I'm sure that they're out there and have written as extensively as the others (such as Alex Jones, Nick Pope, etc.). It would take some searching. But, it would be a sign that the board entertains diverse views other than one perspective in terms of notable conspiracy theorists.

It would also make a powerful point that a tolerance of ideas is truly welcomed here--especially when it has to do with entertaining the theories of people from various backgrounds and heritage.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
After all, there hasn't been a lot done in terms of entertaining the views of notable conspiracists of color.

Who did you have in mind exactly?

To be perfectly honest I don't know of very many.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
You're right, phoenixhasrisin. But it doesn't mean that notable conspiracists of color do not exist. Since this is a board that is based on conspiracy and that it involves itself into a plethora of thought in this area (as well as people who have done the same), wouldn't it make perfect sense to at least invite someone of color to discuss their views about conspiracy so there are different views entertained here?

This is not to encourage division. However, this is to note that there are even various perceptions related to conspiracy as well that extend beyond the dominant culture. I think that if ATS did try to do this, it might help in demonstrating a difference in conspiracy theory as well as promoting the notion of tolerance of thought.

And by extending this notion even further, it might communicate that there are people from all walks of life who are interested in researching this aspect--especially when it has to extend to aspects of diversity.

I know that even people might not "see" this as well. But, it would encourage the notion that we are truly a welcoming board that takes everyone's cultural perspective and views seriously.

It's not asking much. It's only requesting that if tolerance is to be encouraged here, there ought to be steps in this direction to communicate that this board has the ability to possess this notion.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Spacedoubt, I meant whether we could invite notable conspiracists of color to discuss their views on current events and what they are researching. I don't think we've entertained this avenue a lot when we have had guest speakers. Although I've been here a year, we've had David Icke and John Lear. I've read their interviews here as well as heard them on Coast to Coast. But, I'm asking if there are anyone of color out there to get yet another perspective on consipiracy. The oldies might point out who else has been here and correct me if there has actually been a speaker of color here.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by ceci2006]

ceci

I see what you mean, an official invitation.
Most conspiracists that I know, I have only heard on the radio.
I had no idea of their race, until they themselves mentioned it.
Which they sometimes do, if they are representing a native American tribe, for example.

I welcome anyone, of any color, to contribute.
I'd suggest, that if you have any particular's in mind, that you mention it to staff. Staff with a little more "pull" than myself. LOL

Send them a U2U, with a name..Or just plain lay it out for for all of us to see, in a thread. Did you have anyone in mind?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join