Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What do you suggest in the place of cultural awareness threads?

page: 2
5
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   


quote: Originally posted by nextguyinline
Three posts to show just why this and chisslers thread were started.




Just to be clear, my second post was count #2. I'm not innocent.




posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
im not sure if i really understand the problem. I mean if the threads were becoming redundant then how about we create a 'superthread' so that whoever wants to discuss anything in the realm of race , they can lay there opinions there. If its a problem with people getting out off hand and doing personal attacks instead of standing/supporting there opinon and acting civil, then do want you do with other topics, warn then ban them(or perhaps create a way to ban them from that particular board/thread). its that simple. If you feel uncomfortable with the topic then move on ,dont comment and read about something else. I mean there are alot of conspiracies in my opinion related to race, and and even if there weren't if we are allowed to discussed religon then race should be discussd as well. Please let me know what im missing b/c i dont see a problem.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
how about "Civic Engagement" which connotates a broad spectrum

whereas the words Race...even Culture are socially charged and imply
seperatism etc.
Civic Engagement, may be a subtle screening element also.

just a suggestion


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Personally, I think this is absurd PC BS. Open a new forum and name it Race Relations and let's get on with it. Sugar-coating a hot-button issue is pointless.

You don't close religious discussions that get intemperate. Why is the race issue being treated differently? Muzzling free speech accomplishes nothing.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
Muzzling free speech accomplishes nothing.


Muzzling free speech? You couldn't be any farther from the truth. In fact, this is the complete opposite. If we allowed the status quo to continued, it was inevitable that certain members were going to break the T&C and possibly be reprimanded for their behaviour. Moderators did not have the time to govern every post, every paragraph, every sentence, every character of the posts in the Social Issues forum. Staff were saying that this one forum was consuming over 90% of our time on the boards. With a board of this magnitude, we can not allocate this much time to one issue.

So in an attempt to alleviate this "burden", we have closed out the redundant threads. To avoid a "double standard", we closed all of them.

We are going to allow the discussion to continue, but we are asking that members abide by the T&C.

Exactly how is this "muzzling" anyone or anything?

If anything, this discussion and our members will prosper.

Have faith. We won't let you down.


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Exactly how is this "muzzling" anyone or anything?

As pointed out by an adversary earlier in this thread, the threads that were closed were related, but separate issues. Why close them?

Looks like suppression to me.

[edit on 4/2/2007 by Tea]



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
Looks like suppression to me.

More like organization in reality.

Free expression is vitally important, and nothing here is ever done to limit the boundaries of what can be discussed (within some very specific limits).


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
More like organization in reality.

Free expression is vitally important, and nothing here is ever done to limit the boundaries of what can be discussed (within some very specific limits).

From an administrator's/moderator's perspective, I suppose it's organization. From the perspective of some of the little people here, it's suppression. We don't have all the keen buttons that you do. All we see is edits and closures and rebukes.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
If we allowed the status quo to continued, it was inevitable that certain members were going to break the T&C and possibly be reprimanded for their behaviour.


Sorry, this is leaving an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

ATS has degraded to "Pre-emptive" editing huh?



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Let's not go overboard. The threads are still there to be read. New threads can be made to begin the discussions again.

It certainly has gotten everyone's attention, and maybe that is the heart of what the closures was meant to achieve.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
From the perspective of some of the little people here, it's suppression. We don't have all the keen buttons that you do. All we see is edits and closures and rebukes.

The other day I saw someone get called 'a biggoted racist' for expressing a different opinion. This isn't an isolated incident.. it happens that frequently in that many of the same kind of threads there's no way the mods could hope to keep up. It's not about suppression.. it about trying to get board members to respect the rules. Now.. if those members feel they have to flood the boards so they can hide their own bad behaviour.. maybe they should consider changing said behaviour and not expect ATS management to accomidate it.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin

Originally posted by chissler
If we allowed the status quo to continued, it was inevitable that certain members were going to break the T&C and possibly be reprimanded for their behaviour.


Sorry, this is leaving an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

ATS has degraded to "Pre-emptive" editing huh?



OK, let's see if I got this right. The owners of ATS have provided a FREE forum for anyone to discuss topics at ZERO charge and you are taking exception as to how they moderate their own site? Go to Yahoo chat and see the mess they have working there, maybe you'll appreciate what we have going here then.


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
maybe they should consider changing said behaviour and not expect ATS management to accomidate it.

Why are you telling me this? I've been behaving.

I already work for a bunch of Nazis. Now I have to deal with them at my favorite forum.


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, let's see if I got this right. The owners of ATS have provided a FREE forum for anyone to discuss topics at ZERO charge and you are taking exception as to how they moderate their own site? Go to Yahoo chat and see the mess they have working there, maybe you'll appreciate what we have going here then.

Wow, condescension and buttocks-kissing in the same paragraph.

I'm not worthy.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea

Wow, condescension and buttocks-kissing in the same paragraph.

I'm not worthy.


Thank you, I think you just proved our point.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, let's see if I got this right. The owners of ATS have provided a FREE forum for anyone to discuss topics at ZERO charge and you are taking exception as to how they moderate their own site? Go to Yahoo chat and see the mess they have working there, maybe you'll appreciate what we have going here then.


Like I have never been to Yahoo chat.

Wow, let me see if I got this right. A member of ATS is expressing his opinion within the T&C's and a moderator is coming out of the wordworks to basically tell the member: love it or leave it?



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The powers that be aren't muzzling anything. All they are truely asking is that you think before you post. We've all done the "I'm going to tell so and so just what I think about his/her ideas", and maybe not even regretted. But we all need to think first, post second. Some of us maybe more than others, but all of us need to do it. Especially on topics that are as sensitive as racial questions and religious issues.

They aren't suppressing, they are merely asking for decorum.


Tea

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Tea

Wow, condescension and buttocks-kissing in the same paragraph.

I'm not worthy.


Thank you, I think you just proved our point.

The truth is never erroneous.

Suppress away!

Fight the good fight, comrades! ADIEU!

Tea

gag.....................thump.............siiiiiiiiiiiigh

In the distance, "Taps".



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
Wow, let me see if I got this right. A member of ATS is expressing his opinion within the T&C's and a moderator is coming out of the wordworks to basically tell the member: love it or leave it?


Please, I've been reading those threads and there's plenty outside of the T&C. As I said, it's the owners site if they want to do away with Social Issues altogether, that's their right. "Love it or leave it"? That's up to you, nothing is keeping you here and no one is telling you to leave. The choice is YOURS. How the site is managed however is not.



posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea
Personally, I think this is absurd PC BS. Open a new forum and name it Race Relations and let's get on with it. Sugar-coating a hot-button issue is pointless.

You don't close religious discussions that get intemperate. Why is the race issue being treated differently? Muzzling free speech accomplishes nothing.


I agree.IMO It seems to me like the staff did not want to go through the trouble of banning/warning the people who broke the rules. If you break the rules then follow the needed steps. We know the rules, and we if dont abide by them then consequences may come. If you think that a topic is going to cause alot of members to break the rules then ban them from that topic or deal with them accordingly.(or get more mods for that topic) We are adults, i understand things can get out of hand but after a warning, reasonable people will be fine.

---I have a question. Are we not letting people post topics race related (example topic : I think the kkk should be allowed free speech because....) or are we getting rid of a forum that was here (i'm kinda new so i wouldnt know if a forum has been taken down of not.)





new topics

top topics



 
5
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join