It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Installing an IDE/EIDE hard drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I had a question about installing a hard drive. My mothers PC is from 2002 and uses an IDE hard drive. My computer uses Serial ATA 150. I was wondering if there would be any problem using the IDE Channel from my Floppy drive to install her harddrive into my system. (to reinstall XP) (her CD/dvd Drive is dead. It will play DVD movies but not CD's. I tried making a DVD version of a windows CD but it won't detect it. I tried other burned DVD's and still nothing.SHe's been using an external DVD drive but her system won't boot from it) I only have one IDE slot and I remember seeing a few systems that had certain IDE channels labeled specifically FDD. Edit: A note, My mobo doesn't have it listed as FDD. THought I'd mention that quickly.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm a Mac person, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think the floppy interface in a PC is IDE.

I would advise against trying it since it could damage your computer or the drive unless someone more knowledgeable says it's OK.

edit:

You can get an EIDE card for really cheap now if you really need to connect it to your computer.

[edit on 4/2/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
yeah, Blonde Moment. My build has blue rounded IDE cables and I completely blanked on my DVD/CD Drives I feel so... wow. Foolish. I just transplanted my spare DVD-rom drive just long enough to get it all set up. Now it's all back in my system safely away from that evil HP pavillion piece of... nevermind that. Anyways, thanks for the reply. Now I"m working on getting the drivers from HP (if they don't make that a roller coaster of frustration)

Edit: Wow, big surprise. The graphic drivers solved the 4 bit extremely low resolution issue, BUT there are no audio drivers. Only multimedia drivers are for HP's crappy software. I'll have to dig for this for a while, I'm sure. Thanksfully, it shouldn't be as bad as my experience with the Compaq laptop (had to go into the bios to get the model number to search there website just to find out that the Version plastered all over the box, Laptop, etc, were wrong.)

[edit on 2-4-2007 by DemonicAngelZero]

new topics

join