It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran warns Bush not to talk unwisely over Britons' case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Iran warns Bush not to talk unwisely over Britons' case

www.presstv.ir

Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Mohammad-Ali Hosseini has advised the U.S. President to avoid using unwise, legally unfounded rhetoric regarding the detention of 15 British soldiers for their illegal entry into Iran's territorial waters.

In a statement released late on Sunday by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Hosseini also recommended that the U.S. president listen and pay attention to what "his own government's Under-Secretary of States has said."

Hosseini's remark was an apparent reference to Under-Secretary of State Nicholas Burns testimony on Thursday before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee when he said the U.S. did not seek to provoke confrontation with Iran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovepolitics.com...
Bush says Iran must release British "hostages"

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
You knew this was coming, when the President uttered his remarks over the weekend......

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The President made a mistake voicing his displeasure to Iran this weekend, the UK has the US's support and the UK was using it's channels, the EU and UN to back them up in the case of the 15 captives.

He should have kept his mouth shut, this only escalates the tensions.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The President made a mistake voicing his displeasure to Iran this weekend, the UK has the US's support and the UK was using it's channels, the EU and UN to back them up in the case of the 15 captives.

Makes it worse, with him using the word hostage, oh please oh please, where was someone to glue his mouth together when he said that....

Thanks alot Bush, knows u care an all but pls do not say another word regaring out servicemenwomen, this will only imflame the situation even more.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Umm... since when are we supposed to care what Iran and their crap ministry says? If anything they had better watch what they have to say, the US nor the world cares about bark... If it escalates tensions, good, someone needs to light a fire under their arse for this little wannabe country has been playing with fire for far too long now. They need a reality check on who they are and of what we can do to them... The day when Iran dictates what the POTUS can say... that's laughable if it wasn't for the fact that some westerners care and actually listen to them... pathetic.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Does anayone besides me think that maybe, just maybe, what he said was actually part of the plan...and that there is BIG trouble brewing?

Separately, not really troubling, but taken collectively

www.abovetopsecret.com... (Bahrain thread)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Kuwait stock market thread)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Iranian airspace thread)

You get the picture.....

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That even makes more upset at Iran, who is Iran to tell the USA
anything but thanks for buying our oil. Screw them take them out now,
they are pathetic. Boom Boom, out go the lights!

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't think what Bush said was an accident. I would bet it was cleared by the UK before he said what he did.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Umm... since when are we supposed to care what Iran and their crap ministry says? If anything they had better watch what they have to say, the US nor the world cares about bark... If it escalates tensions, good, someone needs to light a fire under their arse for this little wannabe country has been playing with fire for far too long now. They need a reality check on who they are and of what we can do to them... The day when Iran dictates what the POTUS can say... that's laughable if it wasn't for the fact that some westerners care and actually listen to them... pathetic.

Too many Steven Segal movies? Don't be a hater, it brings ya bad Karma.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Too many Steven Segal movies? Don't be a hater, it brings ya bad Karma.

Whose hatin'?

I call em like I see em, Iran is in no position to "warn" (the concept is so silly) the US or the UK. They are for all purposes walking a very fine line, sooner or later someone will trip...

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

They need a reality check on who they are and of what we can do to them...

Those so eager to Get it On with Iran are the one's in need of a reality check.

No one doubts the fact that Iran has been a thorn in the west's side and the taking of the UK Marines has not helped Iran in their desires to continue with their nuclear program.

The UK has been handling this situation their own way, it is their situation and should be left to their representatives to work out a solution to this crisis, one that falls short of armed conflict.

The US has been and will be behind the UK in this matter, it did not need to be brought up by the President, what did it accomplish?

Contrary to some people's belief, there are ways other than bombing and killing to get your point across, I still hold out for this solution, as I believe a majority does.

In this case, someone should have handed the President a pretzel.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Does anayone besides me think that maybe, just maybe, what he said was actually part of the plan...and that there is BIG trouble brewing?

Separately, not really troubling, but taken collectively

www.abovetopsecret.com... (Bahrain thread)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Kuwait stock market thread)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Iranian airspace thread)

You get the picture.....

I get the picture and it isn't a pretty picture. Most of us can see that this has been in the works for a good amount of time. It scares the heck out of me because we can't keep thinking that we are safe over here and while the big push is save us from the terrorist the word terrorist really needs to be objectively defined.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Those so eager to Get it On with Iran are the one's in need of a reality check.

When something is started someone needs to finish it...

The US has been and will be behind the UK in this matter, it did not need to be brought up by the President, what did it accomplish?

Different line of thought, you feel as if the POTUS cannot comment on a situation which very much involves and concerns us. His words show where we officially fall and what we think of the situation. If Iran does not like it they can whine all they want, I really don't care. Do you?

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

When something is started someone needs to finish it...

Your stance is quite clear on this and I have to respect your opinion.

Different line of thought, you feel as if the POTUS cannot comment on a situation which very much involves and concerns us. His words show where we officially fall and what we think of the situation. If Iran does not like it they can whine all they want, I really don't care. Do you?

What I care about is that this situation come to a close with no loss of life, some are so willing to use military force to get there point across, never considering the impact of their fist pounding, on the lives of soldiers and their families.

I think Iran officially knows where we stand without the President piping in this weekend.

Though the drumbeats of war are starting to sound louder, I would exhaust every possible diplomatic angle before I would ever commit ours or anyone's troops to forcing a solution.

The President's remarks did nothing to help a diplomatic solution.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Has anyone thought that the UK wanted the US to step up and say something? Since we were the ones not to say anything, perhaps there WAS questions of the US position on this. You know Tony asking Bush to take a little harder of a stance? Certainly just as plausible as anything else IMHO

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

There are a lot of reasons why we should care what the Iranian government has to say. They have a lot of oil, and they're not afraid to make paying citizens of the USA suffer for good reason. Iran is what remains of the persian empire, one of the most expansive and powerful empires the world has known. They invented chess. That is not to say tha tthey are the end-all-be-all of strategists, but they do know their way around the game. They broadcast the British soldiers on arabic television in an effort to incite arabs of the region (not iran) to aid in their cause of destroying both America and the UK.

Every single thing those soldiers say, wear, eat and do is pre-planned and executed. Just because the US is larger doesn't mean we're the best at everything we do.

Sure, we could laugh air strikes and blow Iran into the stone age. What would that do? It'd serve to further unify frustrated arab nations who, at this point, are looking to unleash some age-old frustration that stems from their inability to take over Europe (way back when).

There will be no happy ending in the middle east.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Have some of us forgotten that they kidnapped these soldiers. The Iranians are bending the world over the fence on this one. We mine as well let them come over and rape our wives, give our 401k's to CAIR and bow towards Mecca.

The POTUS has, I feel, been extremely forgiving especially since we had a skirmish with similar overtones (kidnap attempt) in September the US and Iranian forces.

I do not want war, please believe me, but the US is like the biggest kid in class, and the punk will pick on him for fear of getting in trouble.

Iran should be given an ultimatum, 1 week, and if it is not met, the UK along with US support should forcibly take them back. Iran has commited an act of war. They have attacked the British consulate. This is not US rhetoric folks, this is real.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

And when have any of those organizations done anything productive? The UN= Joke, The EU=Joke. Neither of them has the backbone to do anything.

Dont bite the hand that keeps you safe, some people cant seem to figure that one out.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarleyNMarley
And when have any of those organizations done anything productive? The UN= Joke, The EU=Joke. Neither of them has the backbone to do anything.

What would you like them to do? I have my doubts about the UN myself, the EU honestly I do not have enough knowledge to judge their influence.
Saying that, these are the organizations in place to air grievences and steps that must be taken before the ugly starts. I would think that there is still the option of heavy sanctions on Iran, freezing of Iranian assets, and possibly blockading the area to prevent import/export activities, all of these would have an impact short of war.

Dont bite the hand that keeps you safe, some people cant seem to figure that one out.

You have to explain that one further for me, I don't quite get what you are saying here.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
esdad71...I agree with you 100%...

"Iran should be given an ultimatum, 1 week, and if it is not met, the UK along with US support should forcibly take them back. Iran has commited an act of war. They have attacked the British consulate. This is not US rhetoric folks, this is real."

this is one time that I believe a phone call would have worked well.

Blair: May I speak with Mr. Amhadinjehad?

Iraniangovt official: Let me get him for you Mr. Blair.

Blair: Mr. Amhadinjehad, you have one week to let my soldiers go...7 days, if my troops are not on British soil in 7 days, me and the rest of my troops and let me add, Mr. Bush and his troops will be ther the morning of the 8th day.

Blair: Plaese think about this, oh and have a nice day

IMO...sometimes a phone call is the most personal and clearest way to make your point, short of being there.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by deadbang]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join