It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urgent! Anyone know about UK Maritime rules?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I ask this because i have a younger brother who is due to go to sea on the 6th April this month.

And with all this going on in Iran etc i have a feeling that when everything erupts the ship that he is on may get sent to help the UK Forces.

My question is, if we do declare war on Iran will a merchant ship be called to help out in the case of a war?

If anyone can answer and help me with any of this i would be very greatful.
Also if you need to know exactly what kind of ship it is or anything else i can get that information.

Thanks.

Also im not sure if this thread should be in this forum, if not i apologise as it seems the most relevant forum to post in.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by markjaxson]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Don't worry yourself to much, the royal navy uses the royal fleet auxillary to top them up with fuel and supplies. Anywhere the fleet goes, they go to.
It would have to be in very special circumstances to call up the merchant navy.Like evacuation or something.
Cheers
John

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
My friend is in the merchant navy here in the UK , his ship has been used by both the UK and the US for shipping munitions etc.

i don't want to scare you man but there is a chance.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thats what i was thinking, he is supposed to set off on the 6th of April and when i saw that news article of the April 6th surprise attack it sent my alarm bells ringing.

Co-incidence?

Also his tutors said that even if he doesnt pass his exams he will still be going to sea and he can pass them when he gets back.

I dont know about you guys but there is something definately going on.

Edn

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The government doesn't control the Merchant Navy. tombangelta could it be that your friends ship is a container ship and was contracted by the US & UK government to ship munitions? I think thats more likely, they cant just commandeer a ship so to speak.

Being contracted by the Navy is the least of your problems, the Navy wouldn't just let you dock in an unprotected harbor in enemy waters there not that stupid. Your more likely to be attacked by pirates.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Its not the government im worried about.

Is it possible in the time of a war that merchant ships can be used?

The ship he is on is nothing to do with the Navy if that helps?

Edn

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Like I said not really. The Government can only contract Naval company's to do work for them just like any other company has to, the only time the government has had any special priority was during WW2 when merchant ships were getting targeted by the enemy anyway. If his company is contracted by the government to ship things for the military it will be to harbors that are safe and secure otherwise the company he works for would never allow it.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If there's an announcement about a surprise attack on 6th April then it's not really a surprise attack, is it?

Where did you hear this?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
my friend shipped out last Friday , now i asked him if they were going anywhere near Iran and he said no the other side of the world

and i believe him

I wouldn't worry too much, the merchant navy is not the military navy.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
His ship is going to be 3 days late now anyway, so at least if something does happen he has a choice if he wants to go or not.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson
I ask this because i have a younger brother who is due to go to sea on the 6th April this month.

And with all this going on in Iran etc i have a feeling that when everything erupts the ship that he is on may get sent to help the UK Forces.

Firstly what type of ship is it?

My question is, if we do declare war on Iran will a merchant ship be called to help out in the case of a war?

Possibly but it will be crewed by RFA or if REALLY needed then MN crews.
Dont worry I doubt they will.

new topics

top topics

join