It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Roswell really happened does it imply that extraterrestrials are irrelevant?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
For those who believe unconditionally that aliens are here, communicating with our governments in secret, and have been since Roswell.

If this is true does it not therefore make their existence meaningless? After all, we are all still going about our lives in the usual way. We’re still working until our retirement age, we’re still at war, and we’re still be likely to suffer heart disease or cancer in later life.

If the government suddenly admitted that communication had been going on for the last 60 years, what difference would it make to any of us?

If we’re hoping that an alien presence is going to benefit mankind in some way then we have to conclude that it hasn’t happened yet. And if it has happened, there has clearly been no benefit, and so their existence is insignificant to us all.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Come now, that's just downright silly. What if some of the technological advancements we've seen over the years were alien-assisted? What if, say, the aliens taught us about environmentalism?

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It might make it irrelavent for those who were unaware of the perceived potential in the meaning of "them" being here. For a great many - no impact; their lives already suck and that's not new.

For those who may be aware and may have benefited or benefacted there may be great relavence and reasoning in this "open secret". It is these individuals, human and perhaps "other" that do bare watching. They are the clowns responsibile for the lot of those who's lives suck.

If the government admiited 60 years of contact it might be "bad" for those messengers of deceit and the entire human race. One would hope not but the track record isn't too good for humanity accepting change or being forced to face fact.

I remain hopeful that the whole charade is in our best interests but I really have some grave reservations that may not be the case.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Come now, that's just downright silly. What if some of the technological advancements we've seen over the years were alien-assisted? What if, say, the aliens taught us about environmentalism?

You mean like smart bombs, no cure for AIDS, no cure for cancer?

We, as a species, were more conscious and respectful of the environment thousands of years ago than we are now!

Your response also implies that man is incapable of inventing anything without the assistance of alien intervention - that to me is downright silly!

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
OK, torsion, you are pissing me off by putting words in my mouth.

But, back to business. Maybe the aliens haven't a clue how to cure cancer or AIDS, that ever occur to you? Furthermore, Paleolithic tribes hunted megafauna to extinction, so I really don't think your case for more respect for the environment in the "good old days" really stands up.

As for the medieval period,

"From 1100 to 1500 AD significant deforestation took place in Western Europe as a result of the expanding human population. The large-scale building of wooden sailing ships by European (coastal) naval owers since the 15th century for exploration, colonization, slave – and other trade on the high seas and (often related) naval warfare (the failed invasion of England by the Spanish Armada in 1559 and the battle of Lepanto 1577 are early cases of huge waste of prime timber; each of Nelson's Royal navy war ships at Trafalgar had required 6000 mature oaks) and piracy meant that whole woody regions were over-harvested, as in Spain, were this contributed to the paradoxical weakening of the domestic economy since Columbus' discovery of America made the colonial activities (plundering, mining, cattle, plantations, trade ...) predominant."

en.wikipedia.org...-industrial_history

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Have you ever considered that the potential benefits of ET technology / spirituality have been deliberately hidden from the general populace? Disclosure would mean the corrupt Illuminati cabal would crumble like a house of cards overnight - their power base would disappear, since all humans would have an opportunity to a free economy with access to free energy technologies.

That's why you won't see the emergence of miracle cure-alls for humanity - anything that erodes the Illuminati power base is seen as a threat to their very existence. The hidden hand of the few will continue to rule the many.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
In the alternative, maybe people couldn't handle ET technology.

It's a pet theory of mine that the Illuminati began in the aftermath of the destruction of Atlantis and other ancient civilizations. According to this theory, early on aliens and humans interacted and humans had free access to alien technology. The philosophically immature humans abused the alien technology and used it fight one another. The human race was almost destroyed as a result, so the Illuminati had to be formed to manage what (if anything) humans knew about aliens. So, I wouldn't necessarily say the Illuminati are necessarily negative.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
IF you accept the premise that roswell happened (for the point of this debate)...
Then this does not make it irrelevant..... it would mean that THEY considered it was so profoundly earth shattering that THEY would spend trillions of dollars and probably kill or threaten countless thousands of people to keep it secret.

You dont go to that much trouble for nothing.....

It reason it has become more or less irrelevant is becouse 99.99% of people in postitions of power dont actually act as if they have any faith in its validity.

IF it was revealed that roswell was true then so many questions would be asked that alot of powerful heads would probably roll......
And I dont think we will ever live to know the truth because these are some of the most powerful people in the world.

Some of them might actually like you to know... but when your "in for a penny in for a pound" (so they say)..........

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion

If we’re hoping that an alien presence is going to benefit mankind in some way then we have to conclude that it hasn’t happened yet.
And if it has happened, there has clearly been no benefit, and so their existence is insignificant to us all.

well, thats one model; That ET contact would bring cures for diseases, etc
the other model; That ET contact would involve an invasion & takeover,

imho, we the public, have no knowledge that ET contacts have not given the Military-Industrial-Complex the 'benefits':
such as transistors->micro-chips,
AIDS,
L.A.S.E.R. technology,
Quantum physics & mechanics,
'smart' metal alloys,
nano-technology

the 'benefits' given to earth's national leaders, might not reflect what you consider a benefit or great-leap-forward...

and that's a further reason for the Elites secrecy of any ET contact,
we the general population would say & think the short list of technology
listed above was a "squandering" of the diplomatic contact with these advanced ETs...and think the Elites that negotiated with ET were self-serving for these last 60 years.

so...the story continues, & will remain in the shadowy world

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion

1. You mean like smart bombs, no cure for AIDS, no cure for cancer?

2. We, as a species, were more conscious and respectful of the environment thousands of years ago than we are now!

3. Your response also implies that man is incapable of inventing anything without the assistance of alien intervention - that to me is downright silly!

1. The bomb part is human invention aided with some technology borrowed form us "aliens"
As the earth is overcrowded with people and with the help of modern medicines people that should be dead long ago, is now living of resources much needed by the healthy and young. Why would we help an already crippling earth by supplying the cure for Aids and others....

2. Absolutely

3. No, it is not silly. The human race was still very primitive until the sixties when the humans started to get some results from reverse engineering from the Roswell crash debris and some others to follow.
Without that you would not have your cellular phone, microwave, your PC etc etc..

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacetraveller
The human race was still very primitive until the sixties when the humans started to get some results from reverse engineering from the Roswell crash debris and some others to follow.
Without that you would not have your cellular phone, microwave, your PC etc etc..

I take it you've been reading Corso's Day After Roswell!

The first working transistor was produced in December 1947 by Bell Labarotories, though they were first patented in Germany in 1928 by Julius Edgar Lilienfeld. Documents show that Bell used the uncredited papers of Lilienfeld. Sounds like plagiarism to me, not back engineering of alien craft.

top topics

join