It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legions of Onetime Soldiers Lack Homes, and Now Beds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Legions of Onetime Soldiers Lack Homes, and Now Beds

wvgazette.com

SAN DIEGO — Now that warmer weather is arriving, the giant tent that was a winter home for 150 veterans is being packed away.

“For most of us, it’s back on the streets,” says Marvin Britton, a former military policeman who’s been crisscrossing the country since leaving the Army in 1971 following three combat tours in Vietnam.

The battered tent, pitched on a Navy parking lot, is reflective of a problem that almost certainly will worsen as more troops come home from Iraq and Afghanistan and leave active duty — there just aren’t enough beds for vets who end up homeless.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Once again our veterans, who have risked all to protect the country, are now reminiscent of the Vietnam era, finding themselves without a roof over their head or a decent bed to sleep on.

At the same time, citizens who risked nothing are profitting from the war, live in mansions, sleep on king-sized beds and are drinking from golden cups.

wvgazette.com

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I'm trying to remember a quote and I hope I catch the correct context of it here.

"It wasn't the Huns who brought Rome to it's knees. It was the Legion ex-patriots who commaded the Hun armies"

Just my thought here.

Being a veteran of the Canadian military I feel for those men and I also think they should seek out the services that are in place to help soldiers.
20 years ago backs were turned and eyes were closed. Today it's a little different.

Arcticnull

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Once again our veterans, who have risked all to protect the country, are now reminiscent of the Vietnam era, finding themselves without a roof over their head or a decent bed to sleep on.

At the same time, citizens who risked nothing are profitting from the war, live in mansions, sleep on king-sized beds and are drinking from golden cups.

i agree. these people deserve the utmost respect and are REAL heroes. i think we should be helping them out more instead of wasting all of our time watching american idol...

wvgazette.com

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Some good news on the subject of veterans, from this press release it shows Illinois is doing some very good things for our veterans and their families.

Director of Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs and Lt. Governor announce plan to immediately compensate the families of Illinois heroes killed in the line of duty
Immediate action taken to address the 22 families awaiting their benefits

CHICAGO – On behalf of Governor Rod R. Blagojevich, Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs L. Tammy Duckworth joined Lt. Governor Pat Quinn at a press conference in the James R. Thompson Center today, where they announced the steps that are being taken to pay the families who have lost loved ones in the war.

“I am so pleased that the Governor’s office is able to identify a funding source to compensate these families in need while the remaining funds work their way through the legislative process for approval. Already going through so much with the loss of a loved one, they shouldn't have to wait to receive these benefits,” said IDVA Director L. Tammy Duckworth. “We are taking immediate action to help these 22 families and as this war continues, we will be taking steps to address the needs of the growing number of families of our fallen heroes. We are determined to keep our commitment to those who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms.”

In October 2004, Governor Blagojevich signed Senate Bill 1668, expanding Illinois’ existing line-of-duty benefit – initially created for police officers and firefighters – to include families of soldiers killed in the Global War on Terror. The state benefit amounts to more than $270,000, as adjudicated by the Court of Claims.

Please read the entire article

top topics

join