It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian's asylum case opens immigration door

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Olivia Nabulwala says her family in Uganda was so angry and ashamed to learn she was a lesbian that her relatives hurled insults at her, pummeled her and, finally, stripped her and held her down while a stranger raped her.

Persecution based on sexual orientation has been grounds for asylum in the U.S. since the 1990s, but such cases are still rare. Most involve gay men persecuted by their government. There are few cases involving women, who are more likely to be persecuted by family members, said Rachel B. Tiven, executive director of Immigration Equality, a gay rights group that represents immigrants.

Among some recent cases: A man who said he was beaten by Mexican police and threatened because he is gay won asylum in January. Another Mexican man was granted asylum in a 2000 appeals court ruling that extended protection to transvestites.

Homosexuality is illegal in Uganda and punishable by one to four years in prison. But a police spokeswoman, Alice Nakoba, said no one has ever been convicted. She defended her country's treatment of gays, saying that Ugandans seeking asylum in developed countries exaggerate.

www.cnn.com...

EDITED to show source

[edit on 4/1/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
excellent post.

This certainly makes one point about homosexuality -- it's not a choice!
I have read numerous stories in the media and even on ATS that express the concept that, somehow, people choose to be gay. That being gay is a "lifestyle choice" like choosing to be Emo or that it's like choosing to drive a mini-van. It's ridiculous.

This concept is especially ridiculous in the face of the persecution, hardships and trauma that the gay community must endure throughout the world.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I agree. I believe that people are born homosexual. I cant undersatnd how some people think that others would choose to be harrassed, abused, and even killed just to be homosexual. Even if being gay is a choice, I am a Christian so that means I am going to love my neighbor regardless of what they do and leave the judgment up to God because He is the ONLY one (IMO) who has the right to judge any of us.

Back to the story though, the face that that lady says that Ugandans seeking asylum in developed countries tend to exagerate, is pretty much proof of the contry's ignorance. I cant believe that homosexuality is illegal in Uganda. I know that here in the U.S. we have our own problems with some states having strict anti-sodomy laws but these people are ridiculus. I hope (though I doubt she will be) granted asylum here. Thats my 2cents

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
It is a subject that does not receive a great deal of attention, which I suppose is both a curse and a blessing.

I support asylum for anyone who would be hurt, imprisoned, killed or generally abused in there place of origin over things like this.

I'm not surprised by the statement the Ugandan official said.

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
I cant believe that homosexuality is illegal in Uganda.

Homosexuality is illegal in most of Africa, the middle-east, central
Eurasia and a few places in Asia and central America as well as more
than a few Caribbean countries that most people have heard of, notably
Jamaica, where there is regular murder of homosexual people, while
the police force ignore it.

I know that here in the U.S. we have our own problems with some states having strict anti-sodomy laws but these people are ridiculous.

While there are sodomy laws that are technically still on the books
in some states, they can not legally enforce them.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I'm starting to wonder if it really matters if they are born that way, or if it is a choice such as deciding to drive a big rig OTR, or live in a RV going state to state instead of settling down in a house. It really does take certain type of people to do either of those things. Both would drive me nuts.

I won't change my beliefs, but can change my perspective.

ImpliedChaos -
I am a Christian so that means I am going to love my neighbor regardless of what they do and leave the judgment up to God because He is the ONLY one (IMO) who has the right to judge any of us.

Very beautifully said. No one, no one deserves the type persecution and harrassment these people are going through with their government and/or families. No one.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Its not that they cant legally enforce them, its that they choose not to, with regards to the laws in us.The fact that the laws are still even on the books suggest an injustice in itself. There have been cases where they have been enforced. (only to be overturned later, but it shouldnt have even reached that far). I know in places such as jamacia the murder of homosexuals is somewhat condoned but i never really though about it being an actual law.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
Its not that they cant legally enforce them, its that they choose not to, with regards to the laws in us.

No, they actually legally can not enforce them, it was a decision by
the supreme court.

The fact that the laws are still even on the books suggest an injustice in itself.

Well there are really silly laws still on the books that have no been taken off for various reasons, like you can't give a donkey a bath in a bathtub on sundays (from some mid-west state I think).

SHould they be removed, well as a show of equality and an enlightened society, yes, but they don't actually have to be removed, since they can't actually be enforced.

I know in places such as jamacia the murder of homosexuals is somewhat condoned but i never really though about it being an actual law.

The law in Jamaica states that any homosexual acts between two males
is subject to a term of ten years in prison.

The murder is technically a crime, but punishment is rarely enforced if
the victim is gay.

Sadly enough Jamaican popular culture advocates harming and even
killing homosexual culture, especialy in the popular (only in the region)
reggae singers.

top topics

join