It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Who Season 29 Season Premier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Just finished watching this episode and am glad to report that it was way better then the Christmas Special. I was sure in the preview after the XMas special that those Rhino thingies were redone Sontarons. I didn't even catch their name despite being uttered more then a few times. Oh well, I guess I'll catch it again on reruns.

The new Companion seems like she is a step up from Rose. Two Doctors on the TARDIS!

The word is that Captain Jack will be back this season and that makes me happy.
He was by far my favorite recurring chacacter in Season 27 and hope they pick right up where Torchwood left off. Well, heres to another 12 weeks of pure Doctor who followed shortly by Torchwood in September!

I also like the fact that since BSG Season 3 Started, I have only gone 4 weeks without any Sci-Fi to watch!
This is definitely a good time to be a fan of this genre.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 31-3-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I also thought (and hoped) those aliens were going to be Sontarans. I live in Cardiff where Doctor Who is filmed and I actually saw David Tennant being filmed for a scene. I'm looking forward to seeing it in an episode!

Looking forward to Torchwood starting again too and will keep my eyes open in Cardiff Bay for any filming!

Oh, the aliens were called the Judoon (just looked it up!)

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Did you also notice the clear reference to The Doctors brother, The Master? I did, and I think it's setup for this seasons overall story-arc, and that is the revival/escape of the Master, who if you saw that craptacular TV Movie, got stuck in the Heart of the TARDIS. I'm betting Daleks are gonna be involved somehow.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ive lost touch with Dr who unfortunately (living abroad) are the new series any good.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's awesome. In the 27th season, the 9th Doctor Christopher Eccelston, was brilliant, though he only did one season. The Current Doctor, played by David Tennant, is just as good, and in some places even better! You don't know what you're missing. If you have the chance, pick up 27/28th seasons on DVD. You won't regret the purchase.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
David Tennant is far better than Christopher Ecclestone was I think. He captures the fun spirit of previous Doctors much more (like Tom Baker and Peter Davison).

I hadn't heard about the possible Doctor-Master brother link before. I don't like it. I'd much rather it was the old cliche of friends who had grown up together before becoming mortal enemies. If the Master was made into the Doctor's brother it would not fit with the older series where there were plenty of episodes with the Master and no mention of it - I really hope they don't do it

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Actually, it's been long theorized that the Master was the Doctors brother, thus the reason why they were such bitter enemies.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have a theory that the Mr Saxon mentioned in this episode (and also the Runaway Bride - which I thought was fabulous) will be a recurring theme in this series and then turn out to be the Master in the finale (played by Life on Mars' John Simm). In 13 weeks lets see how wrong I am

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Also, don't forget the Face of Bo's big secret is supposedly gonna be revealed this year. Perhaps it will have something to do with either Gallifry(New Gallifry?) or The Master.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 3-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Waaayyyy of base here, but what if the Face of Boe is the Doctor a few thousand years older? Naw, can't see that somehow.

Anyway, reposted from another thread about the new series:

Saw the first episode of the new series. Brilliant! (to quote the Doctor).

Feema does a good job of replacing Billie, though a few times during the episode it could've been Billie Piper saying Feema's lines (surely a middle-class trainee doctor wouldn't talk like a chav?). They got round the thing with her appearing in the Torchwood/Cyberman/Dalek episode by saying that Adeola (who died in that) was her cousin.

The usual humour was there, and the SFX seem to be getting better. If they can keep this standard up for the rest of the series then it'll be the best yet.

Still miss Billie a little though... I've got a thing for blondes!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Actually, it's been long theorized that the Master was the Doctors brother, thus the reason why they were such bitter enemies.

I didn't know that. I missed the reference in the episode because I wasn't looking for it.

It was mentioned in one episode last series that the Doctor 'was a father once'. Well in the first ever series (with William Hartnell was it?) his grandaughter was travelling with him. It'd be nice to see her make a return.

Also widely speculating here, but Captain Jack is not the character's real name (was said so in a Torchwood episode) so I was thinking that maybe he could be the Doctor's long lost son.... I'd love to see the fallout from that one!

[edit on 4/4/07 by jimboman]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well according to some long time Doctor Who fans, the rumors have been swirling since the Tom Baker/Davison era.

Here is a list of all the episode titles for this season.

* Smith and Jones Judoon on the Moon.
* The Shakespeare Code The play's the thing.
* Gridlock 14 April 2007.
* Daleks in Manhattan 21 April 2007.
* Evolution of the Daleks 28 April 2007.
* The Lazarus Experiment 5 May 2007.
* 42 12 May 2007.
* Human Nature 19 May 2007.
* The Family of Blood 26 May 2007.
* Blink 2 June 2007.
* Utopia 9 June 2007.
* The Sound of Drums 16 June 2007.
* Last of the Time Lords 23 June 2007.

42 on May 12th. Could this be a reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Perhaps.... nah, they need to do a three parter and Romana in order to redo Shada...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here are some tie-in sites for Series 29.

Martha Jones' Myspace Page

www.lazlabs.co.uk...

Vote Saxon!

Mr. Saxon Myspace Page

Let me know if you find anything interesting!

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
*There might be some spoilers in here (hopefully not) for the old (pre-Eccleston) Doctor Whos, but I'm pretty sure I didn't put any in for the new episode that was just on. Just a friendly warning*

I also really enjoyed the new episode introducing the doctor's new companion. Unfortunately, she's not quite as good looking as Billie Piper was, but this new woman is a good actress, and so far I like the character she plays, as well. I'm glad that she is also a doctor, or at least a medical student, because a few of the old Doctors companions were rather stupid and uneducated, and he was always having to explain stuff to them that should have been obvious to most people, and not just obvious to genius timelords.

I have watched much of the old Doctor Whos, as well, (some very recently, and some not for at least 10 years) and I cannot ever remember anything that would suggest the Master and the Dcotor were brothers. They were very good friends at some point in the past, and they knew each other in whatever passed for university on Gallifrey. Apparently, the Master got higher marks than the Doctor, according to another timelord... :p

There are hints that the Doctor once had some family, though. In the very earliest episodes of the original series, the Doctor travelled with his granddaughter, so obviously he must have had at least one kid (never shown or discussed that I ever saw). He also told Rose Tyler once that he had had a family, but I forget what episode that was in.

I'd love to see the Master come back. He made a great villain. Also being a timelord, they can hire literally anybody to be the actor, too. I can't recall how many Masters have played on the screen (at least 2, I am sure, as one actor died in a plane crash, and they had one after that at least), but at one point the Master was 'one past' his regeneration limit, having stolen one somehow in a manner that I now forget.

And sardion... the master got stuck in the heart of the tardis in that never-should-have-been-made-movie? I don't remember that... however, I have tried to forget that that piece of trash was ever aired. It made about as much sense canonically as the second highlander movie

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well, I'm going over all the Pertwee to Colin Baker episodes right now, paying particular attention to the scenes with the Master in it. I believe I remember one line that started the rumors and it went something like this. "You would do that to your own....". It could be pre-pertwee for all I know, when did the Master first make an appearance? I know there were a bunch of pre-pertwee episodes that were"lost"(actually destroyed by the BBC in their infinite wisdom in the 70s to save money :shk: ) so the question may never be answered and it's mostly just memory. I'll check back in later if I have anything more.

And sardion... the master got stuck in the heart of the tardis in that never-should-have-been-made-movie?

Yeah, but do you remember this scene from the Season 27 episode "Boomtown"?

or this one from "Parting of the Ways"?

For all we know, the TARDIS didn't kill him, but kept him alive like how it's been theorized to keep Capn Jack alive. He could have escaped during the many times the TARDIS has been messed around with by us Humans or this lovely "lady".

[edit on 7-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Master first showed up in the Pertwee episodes. I think he appeared, on and off, for all of the other Doctors after that, but I'd have to look that up to be sure.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice the intriguing title for the last episode this season? "Last of the Time Lords". Plural. Veerry Interesting.

Tonights episode was great! I loved it, the guy who played William Shakespeare did a great job at portraying him in a more realistic manner. I loved all the quotes.
"I think I'll use that." "No it's already taken"
They made 1599 London very believable as well as Martha's reaction to the Bilge Buckets being tossed out the window. I rate it an 8/10.

The Eternals were mentioned as well. I wonder if the White Guardian will show up. Maybe the Face of Bo is the White Guardian? Farfetched methinks.

[edit on 7-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
yep this series is very good looking forward to seeing episode 3 jack is meant to return in the 11th episode.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Yea, Jack is back! If you watched the last episode of Torchwood, there was the familiar sound of the Tardis landing and Jack disappeared.

It's good to see the crossover between the two series'.

Also, is it just me or was the SFX budget upped for this series of Doctor Who? There seems to be a lot more CGI this time round. Good CGI I might add, not just 'there because we can' stuff like in US series and movies.

That's what I like about Doctor Who. The CGI complements the story, it doesn't drive it like in some other programmes *cough*Primeval*cough*.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join