It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A Special Request from a sick little girl-

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This I read this morning in my local paper, and I call for members of ATS to please help. I do not personally know this child, but the story is touching. A random act of kindness goes a long way-

Letters to the Editor-

A call for prayer by e-mail-

To the editor:
I am writing to tell you about a 13 year old girl who is a friend of ours, she has cystic fibrosis and is very, very, ill. Meghan Gonski, daughter of Pat and Jim Konski of Homer, Alaska, is trying to accomplish a dream of getting into the Guiness Book of World Records by collecting prayer e-mails. She has collected many so far and actually reads each one and tries to respond to as many as possible, and she especially loves getting those from around the world and the Lower 48. I am asking a favor of each and every one of you to please send her an e-mail. It can either be a prayer e-mail or just a hello and wish her well. Megan and her familt attend our church and really believe in the power of prayer, the following is from our church bulletin.
Meghan Gonski is traveling to St. Louis Children's Hospital this week to be evaluated to qualify for placement on the lung transplant list ( her lungs are currently working at 17% capacity). Meghan and her family ask that the Parish Family of St. Micheal"s pray for Meghan to recieve courage and Love from our Lord. In addition, Meghan asks that all pray for her- Meghan figures with all the prayers going that this will overload God's prayer line. "Cause the prayers will just keep coming and coming, and God will have to come fix me-God's going to pretty mad that his prayer line to heaven is jammed up and he is going to find out why. When he finds out I caused the jam, he's going to stop, feel my faith and bless me with a miracle right then."
Meghan would love to hear your prayers and wishes of support. You can e-mail her at AKmeghan@msn.com

So again I ask that you help Meghan and pray to whoever your faith's "God" is and help her accomplish her dream by sending her an e-mail. I also ask that you forward this to everyone on your e-mail and ask them to pray for her and send her an e-mail, and then have them send it to people in their address book. together we can make her dream come true and with the prayers, and well wishes from so many maybe we can accomplish a miracle for her.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Patti Knueppel





posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
This I read this morning in my local paper, and I call for members of ATS to please help. I do not personally know this child, but the story is touching. A random act of kindness goes a long way-

Letters to the Editor-

A call for prayer by e-mail-

To the editor:
I am writing to tell you about a 13 year old girl who is a friend of ours, she has cystic fibrosis and is very, very, ill. Meghan Gonski, daughter of Pat and Jim Konski of Homer, Alaska, is trying to accomplish a dream of getting into the Guiness Book of World Records by collecting prayer e-mails. She has collected many so far and actually reads each one and tries to respond to as many as possible, and she especially loves getting those from around the world and the Lower 48. I am asking a favor of each and every one of you to please send her an e-mail. It can either be a prayer e-mail or just a hello and wish her well. Megan and her familt attend our church and really believe in the power of prayer, the following is from our church bulletin.
Meghan Gonski is traveling to St. Louis Children's Hospital this week to be evaluated to qualify for placement on the lung transplant list ( her lungs are currently working at 17% capacity). Meghan and her family ask that the Parish Family of St. Micheal"s pray for Meghan to recieve courage and Love from our Lord. In addition, Meghan asks that all pray for her- Meghan figures with all the prayers going that this will overload God's prayer line. "Cause the prayers will just keep coming and coming, and God will have to come fix me-God's going to pretty mad that his prayer line to heaven is jammed up and he is going to find out why. When he finds out I caused the jam, he's going to stop, feel my faith and bless me with a miracle right then."
Meghan would love to hear your prayers and wishes of support. You can e-mail her at AKmeghan@msn.com

So again I ask that you help Meghan and pray to whoever your faith's "God" is and help her accomplish her dream by sending her an e-mail. I also ask that you forward this to everyone on your e-mail and ask them to pray for her and send her an e-mail, and then have them send it to people in their address book. together we can make her dream come true and with the prayers, and well wishes from so many maybe we can accomplish a miracle for her.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Patti Knueppel



looks like yet another version of a seemingly popular way of getting LOTS of email addies to spam...by tugging on people's heart strings...sorry emails dont do squat to cure the sick and they wont be getting my email addy any time soon.

call me cynical, bash me if you like but they wont be getting my email address.



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
[Edited on 28-12-2003 by Salem]



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
call me cynical, bash me if you like but they wont be getting my email address.


I agree with you ... prayers are fine, but emailing the child won't do anything to make her better...
this wreaks of yet another spam attack sent by well meaning grandmothers who got their first computer with AOL for christmas~ bah, humbug~



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is the truth, and I will post the link for the story when it comes on the web over the next day or two- this request was sent to the Frontiersman Newspaper of Alaska. This is not a bs request for spamming purposes- I put myself in the position of her family and friends and decided it was a nice request for a sick girl- and the unusual approach is nice also-
What if, ThePrankMonkey, if this request came from your daughter or loved one- Would you post it?
I am just into expressing and preforming random acts of kindness- for when you do good things for people, good things come back to you. Simple as that-



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If this was for real...i would send her something a hell of a lot better than some binary code in the form of an email!!!!!

Something she hasnt seen or just someting small and a massive letter!

Its spam mail!!



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have to say that I believe the emails will go a long way to helping her. My wife ha and s Cystic Fibrosis,I can guarantee you that when she gets letters, cards, and emails the immune system, and for a child with CF, that could be deadly. A from people wishing her well, it lifts her spirits. Depression lowers the immune system. Even a simple cold, if not taken care of immediately, could decrease lung function to the point where it will not come back (not that it always does anyway, but there is more of a chance the sicker they get), causing the need for a lung transplant, or worse, death... I know that my wife, who is now 21 (life expectancy is 30) appreciates every kind word she gets. I will write an email from a new account and get back to you if I get any spam coming to it.



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is what is wrong with the world today- I did not anticipate the negative comments and remarks...how long does it take to offer a few words of encouragement?
This surprises me- people worried more about spam than the actual situation involving a 13 yr old girl -
I will scan and post the original article if anyone doubts my post and the reality behind it-
The Frontiersman edition this came out in is today's copy, and their site is updated through last Friday- i will link when they post.
Come on people, have a heart- sometimes there are legit calls to help our fellow inhabitants of this world- and 30 seconds to send an e-mail is a big chore, is'nt it?



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Milk..

I tell u one thing: ur wife is a fighter!


B4 i joined up i worked in mental health and disabilities so i understand that a good word is treasured.

But this too me sounds a wee bit too much like spam.

Give my wishes to ur wife though!



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ok i read this and like the above am not sure whether this is just a scam...
But my soft side is thinking what if its not!!!

well im going to take my chances and write an e mail

If its true then i hope in some way i have helped
and Journey seems like he really believes this is not a scam....

so im going to go ahead and do it!

-----------------------------------------------------

Ok just tryed to mail and got this??

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

AKmeghan@msn.com


[Edited on 28-12-2003 by asala]



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
This is what is wrong with the world today- I did not anticipate the negative comments and remarks...how long does it take to offer a few words of encouragement?
This surprises me- people worried more about spam than the actual situation involving a 13 yr old girl -
I will scan and post the original article if anyone doubts my post and the reality behind it-
The Frontiersman edition this came out in is today's copy, and their site is updated through last Friday- i will link when they post.
Come on people, have a heart- sometimes there are legit calls to help our fellow inhabitants of this world- and 30 seconds to send an e-mail is a big chore, is'nt it?


Journey, it's not that we don't believe you...it's just among the most common of all hoaxes on the net. No, it won't hurt to mail her, but this will become a chain letter... and she'll be getting mail at that account 20 years from now. Or her parents will when she's dead.

Read this if you're interested. hoaxbusters.ciac.org...

Some lists of the most common 'sympathy hoaxes". By the way, shortly after the advent of the internet Guiness Book of World Records refused to honor such things that promote chain letters. One boy in England (I think) was cured of cancer years ago and is now BEGGING people to stop writing get well cards!



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
This is what is wrong with the world today- I did not anticipate the negative comments and remarks...how long does it take to offer a few words of encouragement?
This surprises me- people worried more about spam than the actual situation involving a 13 yr old girl -
I will scan and post the original article if anyone doubts my post and the reality behind it-
The Frontiersman edition this came out in is today's copy, and their site is updated through last Friday- i will link when they post.
Come on people, have a heart- sometimes there are legit calls to help our fellow inhabitants of this world- and 30 seconds to send an e-mail is a big chore, is'nt it?

You're too easily fooled. Most internet vets get a thick skin, and a sixth sense about what is spam and what's not. This includes emails, links, banners, or any tricks that spammers use to fool you into wasting some of your valuable surfing time for nothing.

Have you ever punched the monkey before?


Remember this general rule:

Anything that says, "forward this to everyone" or "forward this to X# friends" is definitely SPAM! Either that, or a chain letter, which is also spam to me.


[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
it probably is a hoax, but i will send an email anyway.

i think the risk of my inbox being spammed is worth it to make someone a little happier,
i cant believe some people care more about their inbox's than a person



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's not that, I'm just not stupid enough to waste my time on yet another spammer.
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be many others to compensate for those of us who don't respond to this kind of crap.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy
it probably is a hoax, but i will send an email anyway.

i think the risk of my inbox being spammed is worth it to make someone a little happier,
i cant believe some people care more about their inbox's than a person


It's not that we're mean cleggy, it's that someone else might be. It's from a 'letter to the editor'. I could write that story and give your address if you pizzed me off!


Not to be mean myself, but I'm guessing not many papers would print such a thing these days. It was an Alaska paper, and someone here already said the e-mail account has been rebounding. Their in-box is either full, or turned off.



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
you arent 100% sure its a spammer, and your not even willing to try........



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's also a hotmail account. I traced it. And it is full:

Reporting-MTA: dns;mc7-f37.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;hotmail.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:03:25 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;AKmeghan@msn.com
Action: failed
Status: 5.2.3
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;552 5.2.3 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.

[Edited on 12-28-2003 by Satyr]



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
yeh my email has just bounced, at least i was willing to try.........



posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
It's also a hotmail account. I traced it.


well the @msn.com
is kinda a give away....
there wasnt really a need to trace it



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join