It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Regeneration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is pretty crazy. Seems real.

Stem Cells

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think if you poke around, you'll find that the ends of fingers will grow back, if the cut leaves the last joint intact and there's enough skin to cover it.

One of my brothers buzzed a few of his off with a router table years ago, and they all grew back. The nails look a bit off. But they all have feeling and look like finger ends.

(peeks)

Kids prior to age 2 can ALWAYS regrow fingertips, some adults can. Found this, fairly interesting:

www.foxnews.com.../humanbody

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here is a link on Mammalian regeneration.

MRL Mouse 1

MRL Mouse 2

One way to mark individual mice is by punching small holes in their ears (it sounds cruel, I know…fathers with teenage daughters also think it is a terrible thing to do). The mice of the MRL strain do something remarkable, though, as you can see to the right: they heal right up. There is no detectable scar tissue, either—these mice regenerate.

Regrowing ears might be a very big deal to a mouse, but not so much to us. However, their powers of regeneration go deeper. Damage their livers, their kidneys, and many other tissues, and they grow right back. They can regrow lopped off toes and tails. Here's the big one: take a fine wire, stick it in their heart, and burn a hole in it with extreme cold, a process called cryo-damage which mimics the damage of a myocardial infarction, and in the MRL mouse, heart tissue regenerates.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ha, let's splice mouse and human DNA to create an invincible race of ratmen!!!

x08

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
forget the ratmen.. let's get the rat-ogres

while this info is good, what exactly is an MRL rat Vs. another rat?

and from those pictures.. his finger grew back in only 32 days??

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam

Kids prior to age 2 can ALWAYS regrow fingertips, some adults can. Found this, fairly interesting:

i thought it went up until age 10, but chances diminish quickly.

in chicks: www.sciencedaily.com...

a more trustworthy source for fingertip regrowth in children:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

i consider it credible, the only practical question is if thex could regrow other body parts as well, because the fingertip seems to have a 'low threshold' natural ability to regenerate.

the topic of regeneration is haunting the Medical Forum to a degree because people seemingly find it hard to face the obvious questions: see f-ex: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the top link. Looks like these people are legit. Unless they have a reason to be trying to fool the masses. Seems like Stem Cell research is quite commonly used in Veternary medicine nowadays but not in humans yet. Seems like it's safe and can do some amazing things.

They are doing a study in Brookes Army Base to regrow parts of fingers this summer (2007). Also they are studying tissue and appendage regeneration at several prominent university's. It's exciting stuff for people that have lost a limb or appendage. Interesting that they already have stuff that appears to work but no doctor's are using it yet.

See Below:

showcase.erc-assoc.org...

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.thescizone.com...

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
very cool thread...I posted on like it. Thanks for the links.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The big push has always been in nervous system problems such as Parkinsons' and spinal cord injuries. Experiments with rats have given reproduceable results, so they have a type of treatment they believe will work.

www.sciencedaily.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

A young man in New Dehli is believed to be the first human to receive this type of treatment. Note that these stem cells came from his own bone marrow and were adult stem cells, so there may be some limitations there we aren't yet aware of :
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

It's also being tried in Germany:
news.scotsman.com...

One company here in the US has received FDA approval to use stem cells to treat a type of bone necrosis:
www.bioworld.com...

There are some ethical issues that have to be addressed, but banning the research is not the answer. There are numerous sources of stem cells (including the umbilical cord of full term infants), and research can and is focusing on these other sources.

Hopefully we'll see some breakthroughs with this new therapy within the next 10 years.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Simple yet profound spinal cord research involves transplant of the greater omentum in europe and also transplant of Schwann cells to the CNS.
Schwann cells can mitigate transection...Oligodendrocytes cannot.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the preocess is called, but you can grow back finger without stem cells sometimes.

My buddy's dad had gotten his fingers on his left hand cut off by an airplane propeller. Sucks, right? Well, the doctors put his hand into his stomach area (I'm not sure where internally), and his fingers grew back! He didn't grow back all of his nerves, though. He's dying now. He's got Hepatitis C due to the initial accident.

Just thought I'd share a regeneration story. Anyone know what the process is called?

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
that the greater omentum (lacy apron of fat that protects the viscera) I talked about and spinal cord research.
Its full of stem cells

top topics

join