It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think that TECHNO music originated in the 80's or even 70's? Think again...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hubby and I were reminiscing over music and had a contest as to WHEN Techno Music ACTUALLY started.

We both agreed on this video:

youtube.com...

If anyone knows of any EARLIER dated footage? Please feel free to post them!

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I like to think that Techno music is the 'electrical outcome' of a lot of music.

Does anyone else like to share?

Or are we all stuck on the Herby Handcock thingy from the 80's?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here's a late 1990's to 2000 version of the popcorn song:

(Never mind the VIDEO...check out this version of the POPCORN SONG:

youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hmm being a somewhat burnt out raver
who started listening to electronic music in 91 i must say that some other bands spring to mind as well

Krautrock

Now some of those bands labeled as Krautrock did play an important part in developing and inspiring many of the pioneers in the early 80s/90s.

The most important probably being Kraftwerk, they inspired many Guys in Detroit, Derrick May being one of them and the Detroit label Underground Resistance.

But i sure think Popcorn was one hell of a blaster when you remember when it was made, sure ahead of its time

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Depending on what you define as "techno", you might want to look into Brian Eno's stuff.

He's basically the father of Ambient Music.

Also did a lot of experimentation with electronically created music in the earlier seventies, late sixties.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
any1 here in psychedelic ?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Kraftwerk was a pretty early pioneer in this type of music.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
yes ive been an avid techno fan and many of its subgenres for a decade, also DJing music and dancing and such.

and this is the oldest 'techno' ive ever heard, you can hear the resemblance to trance in it, how it builds up..

bigup to 1969 progressive trance! lol

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
That's actually not bad at all...I liked it a lot!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The term Techno seems to mean different things depending on what side of the pond you live on.

Techno to me means a specific type of hard, driven, dance beat.

Techno to many in the US seems to mean anything with an electronic influence.

Which makes it a ridiculously vague term...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
if you are just talking about electronic music it could be argued (although not by me right now
) that the theremin was the first truly electronic music, followed probably by Musique concrète using tape, although I guess most people consider techno the offspring from disco, so that would probably be in the late 80's and early 90's.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Well the Earliest Electronic Music that I personally know of dates to 1963. There were definately those before it, but I believe this was one of the first to be widely played. It's a Theme song, but it's still music.

en.wikipedia.org...

The original 1963 arrangement of the Doctor Who theme is widely regarded as a significant and innovative piece of electronic music. Recorded before the widespread introduction of synthesisers, Delia Derbyshire used musique concrète techniques. Each and every note was painstakingly handcrafted using pre-recorded individually struck piano strings as well as electronic equipment such as wave signal generators, noise generators, filters and square- and sine-wave oscillators (which were themselves rare at the time), with the results pitch-shifted if necessary. Each individual note in the Doctor Who theme was individually created using these instruments, and recorded onto magnetic tape. The swooping sounds were created by manually adjusting the pitch of the oscillator to a carefully-timed pattern. The rhythmic hissing sounds, "bubbles" and "clouds" were created by filtering white noise to "colour" it. Examination of the original makeup tapes suggests that one of the two bass lines alone is a "concrete" sound, a plucked string sample[1].

[edit on 10-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Nice Find Sardion!!!

I remember listening to that theme song when the folks would watch t.v. at nite. (I used to think the song was somewhat eerie!)

Alrighty...this bumps it up a few notches! Yeeeeee haw!

Ok...Everyone if you find anymore, Post them in here!

And...AND?

When you find the original version...post a NEWER (remixed?) along side for comparison and (hee hee Nostalgic purposes). If you can find one that is?

Again, Great Post Sardion!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Amen to the Krautrock. Try a song by Can called Future Days...early 70's I believe, and it's still mighty listenable.

My 15 yr old listens to trance/ambient/trip-hop. Imagine my surprise to see him listening to vintage Eno!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey Johnny?

Just wondering if you might have a link to the Future Days song? Post?

I tried to squeeze it out of youtube but couldn't find any.

I'd love to hear it.

Thankyou kindly!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I downloaded it somewhere...Morpheus or Kazaa...I'll try to find it ...
You can find a short sample here: www.amazon.com...=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-2162895-9479221?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176224472&sr=1-2

[edit on 10-4-2007 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

When you find the original version...post a NEWER (remixed?) along side for comparison and (hee hee Nostalgic purposes). If you can find one that is?

Here is a compilation stretching from 1963 to the Present.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Here is a compilation stretching from 1963 to the Present.

WAYYYYYYYY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!

I was hearing and seeing the 'sophistication level' rising with each intro!!!!

Hat's off to you Sardion! Great Post!!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Apparently my previous postings that supported 'The Popcorn Song', gave up the ghost.

Here's the song again from this server:

The POPCORN song

Pretty nastalgic eh?

new topics

top topics

join