It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice breaking ships. Global Warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
We all know the polar caps are basically frozen then slightly thawed each year. However since Ice breaking ships are common for both Scientific as well as military in the polar regions. My thought is that they might be preventing the annual freeze to some degree.

If the Earth is attempting to fix it self by freezing fresh water back into the poles to increase the salinity of the oceans, thus restoring the natural currents, wouldnt it stand to reason that the breaking up of newly frozen ice would delay the process and possibly have a negative effect?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Have you ever broken ice on a puddle or a pond in the middle of winter?

And then gone back a day later to see if there's ice there or not now?

I doubt the amount of ice being broken would be statistically significant, but I don't have a huge amount of experience in climatology, so I'll accept the possibility that I could be wrong

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
My thinking is not on how many acres the ice is, but how thick it is. If the ice is broken to allow ships to pass through, it might have a hard time gaining thickness.
When an ice shelf is broken away from the antartic, scientists say it will melt. So if the ice sheets are the same, then they will never have a chance to gain thickness.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with melting or breaking ice. Ice actually takes up more space than water. If anything, it'll lower the water level.

Global Warming is a crock of crap at this point anyway. Nothing's been proven, there's no reason to run and scream about the end of the world. Yet.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What about the fact that fresh water mixing with salt water lowers the salinity, thus slowing the current which we depend on for our weather patterns?

Not to mention the PH ballance and salinity ballance that marine life depend on staying stable.

I am a hobbiest in reef aquariums, and I can tell you these factors are very delicate to keeping marine life alive.

The ice creates a shelf by gathering snow fall each year which in combination with chilling the surrounding water makes the ice thicker, removing fresh water from the ocean.
If the ice is not there or has less surface area to collect the falling snow, then the snow which is fresh water will simply melt in the ocean.

These things could contribute to global warming. Less reflective than snow, open ocean also absorbs the suns heat, where the snow, if it was not broken up by ice breaker ships would have allowed more sun light to reflect back into space, thus controling the amount of heat the earth absorbs in the winter time.

imo, this theory should be climatology 101

new topics

top topics

join