It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fnord - once and for all.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get a definition for "fnord" once and for all. I've heard it used in different contexts; some say it refers to disinformation, and others say it refers to fear (selective, sensationalist news stories) used to paralyze us into apathy. Or does "fnord" just mean lie?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I know it can mean : Foundation for Neo-cognitive and Ontological Research and Development.

Also, I think (I may be wrong) that is was primarly used by Discoridan people, in the beginning of it's use.

HEre's a text from www.fnord.org

Fnord?

Fnord is evaporated herbal tea without the herbs.

Fnord is that funny feeling you get when you reach for the
Snickers bar and come back holding a slurpee.

Fnord is the 43 1/3rd state, next to Wyoming.
Fnord is this really, really tall mountain.
Fnord is the reason boxes of condoms carry twelve instead of ten.

Fnord is the blue stripes in the road that never get painted.
Fnord is place where those socks vanish off to in the laundry.
Fnord is an arcade game like Pacman without the little dots.
Fnord is a little pufflike cloud you see at 5pm.

Fnord is the tool the dentist uses on unruly patients.
Fnord is the blank paper that cassette labels are printed on.
Fnord is where the buses hide at night.
Fnord is the empty pages at the end of the book.

Fnord is the screw that falls from the car for no reason.
Fnord is why Burger King uses paper instead of foam.
Fnord is the little green pebble in your shoe.
Fnord is the orange print in the yellow pages.

Fnord is a pickle without the bumps. Fnord is why ducks eat trees.
Fnord is toast without bread. Fnord is a venetian blind without the slats.

Fnord is the lint in the navel of the mites that eat
the lint in the navel of the mites that eat
the lint in Fnord's navel.

Fnord is an apostrophe on drugs.
Fnord is the bucket where they keep the unused serifs for H*lvetica.
Fnord is the gunk that sticks to the inside of your car's fenders.
Fnord is the source of all the zero bits in your computer.

Fnord is the echo of silence.
Fnord is the parsley on the plate of life.
Fnord is the sales tax on happiness.
Fnord is the preposition at the end of sixpence.

Fnord is the feeling in your brain when you hold your breath too long.
Fnord is the reason latent homosexuals stay latent.

Fnord is the donut hole.
Fnord is the whole donut.

Fnord is an annoying series of email messages.
Fnord is the color only blind people can see.

Fnord is the serial number on a box of
cereal.

Fnord is the Universe with decreasing entropy.
Fnord is a naked woman with herpes simplex 428.
Fnord is the yin without yang.
Fnord is a pyrotumescent retrograde onyx obelisk.

Fnord is why lisp has so many parentheses.
Fnord is the the four-leaf clover with a missing leaf.

Fnord is double-jointed and has a cubic spline.
Fnord never sleeps.
Fnord is the "een" in baleen whale.

Fnord is neither a particle nor a wave.

Fnord is the space in between the pixels on your screen.

Fnord is the guy that writes the Infiniti ads.
Fnord is the nut in peanut butter and jelly.
Fnord is an antebellum flagellum fella.

Fnord is a sentient vacuum cleaner.

Fnord is the smallest number greater than zero.
Fnord lives in the empty space above a decimal point.

Fnord is the odd-colored scale on a dragon's back.
Fnord is the redundant coin slot on arcade games.
Fnord was last seen in Omaha, Nebraska.

Fnord is the founding father of the phrase "founding father".
Fnord is the last bit of sand you can't get out of your shoe.
Fnord is Jesus's speech advisor.
Fnord keeps a spare eyebrow in his pocket.
Fnord invented the green hubcap.
Fnord is why doctors ask you to cough.

Fnord is the "ooo" in varooom of race cars.
Fnord uses two bathtubs at once.

I cannot escape them
No matter how I try
They wait for me everywhere
I cannot pass them by.

Driving down the street
I see "Jesus Is Lord"
And then immediately after
I hear the word "FNORD!"

Innocuous sayings and parables
And on the evening news
I hear the word "FNORD!"
And suddenly I'm confused

I sit alone in my room
And I'm feeling rather bored
I turn on the tube and guess what
I hear the word "FNORD!"

"Don't see the fnords and they won't eat you"
That's what I've heard the wisemen say
But I can't get away from those beasties
There's just no #ing way.

I believe I found these on alt.discordia

[email protected]

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh lord, just read 'The Illuminatus Trilogy' by Robert Anton Wilson and all will become clear.

It will mess with you in ways you cannot even begin to imagine, but at least you will know what a Fnord! is.

Fnord!

[Edited on 28-12-2003 by NephraTari]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
For exampe, I was reading the news ticker on CNN:
1K New cases of alleged molestation by priests blah blah blah.

Basically, they were saying a # load of abuse had just been reported, or officially acknowledged, and YET what did CNN show for those 4 seconds on screen, while that was on the ticker (and it didn't repeat that I saw), none other than the preview for Star Wars 3: Revenge Of the Sith

I'm sorry but I had to PRY my eyes off that preview to even THINK about what the frick mindless news was being reported on the freakin ticker!

And its probably the most revealing bit of news that day, but they don't want to 'bum' people out with information like that, so they do us a favor, and have us read it subliminally while we are watching the Star Wars trailer.

Aaah, the power of the dark side.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
In the words of Robert Anton Wilson himself;

The Definitive FNORD: An Excerpted Excerpt...

***``Very nice,'' I said. ``But why did you bring me up here?''

``It's time for you to see the fnords,'' he replied.

Then I woke up in bed and it was the next morning. I made breakfast in a pretty nasty mood, wondering if I'd seen the fnords, whatever the hell they were, in the hours he had blacked out, or if I would see them as soon as I went out into the street. I had some pretty gruesome ideas about them, I must admit. Creatures with three eyes and tentacles, survivors from Atlantis, who walked among us, invisible due to some form of mind shield, and did hideous work for the Illuminati. It was unnerving to contemplate, and I finally gave in to my fears and peeked out the window, thinking it might be better to see them from a distance first. Nothing. Just ordinary sleepy people, heading for their busses and subways. That calmed me a little, so I set out the toast and coffee and fetched the New York Times from the hallway. I turned the radio to WBAI and caught some good Vivaldi, sat down, grabbed a piece of toast and started skimming the first page.

Then I saw the fnords.

The feature story involved another of the endless squabbles between Russia and the U.S. in the UN General Assembly, and after each direct quote from the Russian delegate I read a quite distinct ``Fnord!'' The second lead was about a debate in congress on getting the troops out of costa Rica; every argument presented by Senator Bacon was followed by another ``Fnord!'' At the bottom of the page was a Times depth-type study of the growing pollution problem and the increasing use of gas masks among New Yorkers; the most distressing chemical facts were interpolated with more ``Fnords.''

Suddenly I saw Hagbard's eyes burning into me and heard his voice: ``Your heart will remain calm. Your adrenalin gland will remain calm. Calm, all-over calm. You will not panic. you will look at the fnord and see the it. You will not evade it or black it out. you will stay calm and face it.'' And further back, way back: my first-grade teacher writing FNORD on the blackboard, while a wheel with a spiral design turned and turned on his desk, turned and turned, and his voice droned on, IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .

I looked back at the paper and still saw the fnords. This was one step beyond Pavlov, I realized. The first conditioned reflex was to experience the panic reaction (the activation syndrome, it's technically called) whenever encountering the word ``fnord.'' The second conditioned reflex was to black out what happened, including the word itself, and just to feel a general low-grade emergency without knowing why. And the third step, of course, was to attribute this anxiety to the news stories, which were bad enough in themselves anyway. Of course, the essence of control is fear. The fnords produced a whole population walking around in chronic low-grade emergency, tormented by ulcers, dizzy spells, nightmares, heart palpitations and all the other symptoms of too much adrenalin. All my left-wing arrogance and contempt for my countrymen melted, and I felt a genuine pity. No wonder the poor bastards believe anything they're told, walk through pollution and overcrowding without complaining, watch their son hauled off to endless wars and butchered, never protest, never fight back, never show much happiness or eroticism or curiosity or normal human emotion, live with perpetual tunnel vision, walk past a slum without seeing either the human misery it contains or the potential threat it poses to their security . . .

Then I got a hunch, and turned quickly to the advertisements. it was as I expected: no fnords. That was part of the gimmick, too: only in consumption, endless consumption, could they escape the amorphous threat of the invisible fnords. I kept thinking about it on my way to the office. If I pointed out a fnord to somebody who hadn't been deconditioned, as Hagbard deconditioned me, what would he or she say? They'd probably read the word before or after it. ``No this word,'' I'd say. And they would again read an adjacent word. But would their panic level rise as the threat came closer to consciousness? I preferred not to try the experiment; it might have ended with a psychotic fugue in the subject. The conditioning, after all, went back to grade school. No wonder we all hate those teachers so much: we have a dim, masked memory of what they've done to us in converting us into good and faithful servants for the Illuminati.***

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Fnord...........what Pinky says in response to Brain...

Seriously......the only way to understand what Fnord means is through a personal interpretation via context.........it's a created word for use in the Illuminatus Trilogy and is incorporated into a concept well worth studying.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
Oh lord, just read 'The Illuminatus Trilogy' by Robert Anton Wilson and all will become clear.

Easier said than done!

I found it to be almost like taking a trip itself - the negative being that I could close the book when it got too much.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
An example of a Fnord from the last few days:
Was watching CNN for a few minutes (cuz then they start repeating the sports, entertainment kids news...) and the talking heads were saying "Star Wars", which is enough to draw anyone's attention off the bottom ticker.

I was intrigued to see what they were going to say about Star Wars, but kept on reading the ticker (while the rest of America no doubt could care less), "Church announces 1K new abuse cases have been reported"
Basically, it was the Church acknowledging wide-scale abuse, and I kid you not, they were showing the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith trailer for about 5 seconds, slightly longer than the ticker on the bottom.

And no, it didn't repeat the message later, and they did not at any point VERBALLY mention this breaking story.

That is a subliminal mindjob, my friends. Even if you read the 'tragic' news, CNN quickly tells you "Never mind all that, here's the weather, local sports, and entertainment!"

An you'd think 24 hour news would actually let you cover the news in detail...

top topics

join