It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the deal behind Sainthood for Pope John Paul?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I had wondered after the death of the last Pope, John Paul II why the urgency to make him a Saint.

They made a special provision to waive the five year waiting period to do so.

Thing was he hadn't done a miracle.

Well I had forgotten about it until today I see the nun on TV saying he did in fact perform a miracle after he died by curing her of Parkinson's disease. She believes she was cured by him through her prayers to him.

Any ideas why it is so important to quickly elevate him to Sainthood?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
She believes she was cured by him through her prayers to him.

This whole subject especially the quoted phrase above shows a lot of what's wrong with the RCC.

Roman Catholicism, at least in practice if not by design, is truly a polytheistic religion. They want to make PJPII a new "god."

[edit on 3/30/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
But why him? Why not one of the other dead Popes and why the urgency on the time frame? Why not just wait the allocated 5 years? I think there is something else going on with this.

Although a new God is a pretty big deal, what would they have to gain?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Cuz PJPII was so cool. I'm not religious and I liked "the idea" of him. The CC is in deep-crisis (what else is new) and the new guy doesn't seem to be workin' out too good for them PR wise.

Perhaps the rush is to fill the "good" news vacuum... speed up the process and beatify PJPII while the new guy gets it together or gets dead.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The new guy looks like pure evil, did you see the pic of him in the Santa Claus hat?

Scary............

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If there's a little evil in all of our bellies... then he looks like he chowed down large at the all you can eat evil buffet. The eyes and severe look in the dork hat say it all.

I thought they shoulda gone with the African dude ahead of "Rat-man". Do you think he may have super-powers like Steven Macon Greer?

It'd be cool to watch the Pope levitate during mass... that'd put the fear of ?God? in the pews huh? Be even cooler if the Pope could vector-in a UFO with a flash-light. That'd up the attendance. Maybe him and CSETI could cut a deal for the movie and book rights.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Didn't Pope John Paul II have the whole miracle bullet thing? O_O for some reason i continue to think he got shot but the bullet like moved around all vital organs and stuff in his body, when it should have killed him. maybe i'm just making up facts in my head, even though i've always remembered hearing that somewhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I don't know anything about that, but I could speculate something like that preceding the Pope Mobile for saftey reasons!

If he lived thru all that it is pretty cool and all but it wouldn't qualify as him performing a miracle.

If he couldn't perform a miracle why are they attempting to create one. I wonder what it means to them for him to become a "Saint" what extra benifit would it mean to the church?

Any Catholics care to comment?

Cug

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
If he couldn't perform a miracle why are they attempting to create one. I wonder what it means to them for him to become a "Saint" what extra benifit would it mean to the church?

Any Catholics care to comment?

How about an ex-Catholic.

The miracle needed for beatification (and the additional one needed for canonization) does not have to occur during the mortal lifetime of the person in question. If someone prays for JP to intercede on their behalf, and then experiences a miracle that will count as one of the needed miracles. After they gather the evidence there is what could be called a trial where "attorneys" for and against canonization argue the validity of the miracles among many other subjects.. the process can take many years.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Did you know that less than 2 months after Pope Paul died, Benedict waived that "five-year waiting period after a person's death before he or she can come under official scrutiny as a possible candidate for sainthood"* for Pope Paul? How convenient.

So this means that the beautification process for Pope Paul has already begun which explains why they had that nun come forward to talk about her miraculous recovery from an incurable disease (PK). Now all they need is just one more miracle and this case is wrapped up.

Granted that Pope Paul was indeed a very charismatic Pope, loved and respected world over who brought the Catholic Church back into the lime light and even rejuvenated it to a certain extent even during the Church's darkest times (uncounted accusations and sentencings of pedophile priests) -- it's very clear to me that the church seeks to still ride on Pope Paul's popularity by putting him on the fast track toward sainthood.

So now we see these news articles about this nun who was supposedly cured by this dead pontiff and I'm sorry, but to me this is all politics. I smell the stench of mendacity in this one because the Church has shown itself to be corrupted and deceitful many times over over the past several years having to do with their appalling cover-ups of those pedophiles where they were moving them around like musical chairs every time a new sexual harassment case sprang up. And this was happening in every Catholic Diocese across the nation and the world!
I no longer believe what the Church says anymore and for this reason, I'm no longer a Catholic.

* Beautification Express

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This makes me mad. How can anyone who even vaguely associated witha policy like this Vatican: condoms don't stop AIDS
(the Vatican church claiming that condoms don't help stop the spread of AIDS), possibly ever be considered to be a saint?? I think someone with that level of influence needed to be a lot more socially responsible.

new topics

top topics

join